1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Comments on Mid-Fifty

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
catalog should have noted that the panels would have an oversize shipping charge added?
In their defense, with the price of fuel skyrocketing, shippers are constantly changing their pricing, specs. They may have been hit with a new charge. They did split the added cost with you, which was reasonable, most co would have just said "tough!"

Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that a business has to deal with increased costs, but I feel it would have been only fair to inform me of the cost increase before the parts were shipped, so I could reconsider the purchase. AXracer: I recall that you agreed with me on the lousy quality of the pair of reproduction front fenders that I purchased from Mid-Fifty about seven years ago. (You posted a comment in my gallery under the "Funky Fenders" photo album). I never did return them, because I still would have had to pay the freight costs. I figured that it was cheaper for me to cut out pieces from my old original fenders to use as repair patches than to send these fenders back. I recall telling them of the poor quality of the fenders after they arrived, but I received no reply from them. Anyway, for me, that's two less-than-pleasant experiences that I have had with Mid-Fifty. Up to the purchase of the fenders, I had spent over $1500 for parts from them. I'd like to feel that I was a valued customer. But, instead my impression is that they don't really care if I ever do business with them again.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
chappys4life
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have not had much dealings with them but when I have ordered the customer service was great and parts where all on par. I will admit over the past year I have ordered from Dennis Carpenter more the biggest thing is they are in NC and I am in VA so very quick shipping.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jvmcc every one is charging more as fuel is killing us . i drive a mail contract route , and the post office and my boss are reeling from the costs as at 4.10 a gallon and fuel mpg ranging from 8 in bad weather to 10.5 or so in good in my ih , those costs are getting way outta hand fast . isn't no easier way of doing it either .... i agree before with the statement about it is run by people and god knows we all make mistakes and forget . i have seen and dealt with far worse companies in the course of a lifelong addiction , and many of them fall by the wayside . i'll keep going back to sy and co. even if things aren't right as they normally take cars of it , and even pay a couple extra bucks for a part as they have always been good to me . gonna be placing another order this week as soon as my toy fund is replenished , and the bulk is from them , and speedway . later and may the old truck god's smile upon you and make past fubars be forgotten !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I recently placed an order with a company which shall remain nameless (initials are DC). I ordered extra items to maximize their $10 flat shipping rate. I am converting my park lights to turn signals, and the only thing not shipped were the lamp sockets. These sockets are the reason I placed the order. I understand when a company runs out of a part. I also expect that part to be backordered, and not to have to pay for the shipping when it comes in. The order states "0 QTY SHIPPED = CUSTOMER MUST REORDER". That is unacceptable to me. Their response to my email inquiry resulted in the same answer. I won't do business with them again, after spending hundreds of dollars to date.

So I took my business to Classic Haulers. The order arrived without the gas sending unit, but the invoice has a hand-written note explaining that they are on order and will be shipped as soon as possible. And I got my Tootsie Rolls. I have another $750 on my list of needed parts that I just moved over to Classic Haulers. It's ALL about customer service.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Hi Dano,

Yes they most of the time pay for return shipping for parts they sent that were wrong or bad, but this time I couldn't get them to do that. I could see that if I ordered it and decided I did not want it, I should pay return shipping. But on a part that arrived that was defective from the get go, I was suprised they didn't step up. I didn't argue with them. The way I see it, I appreciate the fact they are in business, and it's a tough buisness to be in. I don't want to be a pain to anybody. And you know, after reading on FTE about some of the difficulties some folks have had from another vendor, I think I especially appreciate Mid-50 now!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jvmcc
I agree that a business has to deal with increased costs, but I feel it would have been only fair to inform me of the cost increase before the parts were shipped, so I could reconsider the purchase. AXracer: I recall that you agreed with me on the lousy quality of the pair of reproduction front fenders that I purchased from Mid-Fifty about seven years ago. (You posted a comment in my gallery under the "Funky Fenders" photo album). I never did return them, because I still would have had to pay the freight costs. I figured that it was cheaper for me to cut out pieces from my old original fenders to use as repair patches than to send these fenders back. I recall telling them of the poor quality of the fenders after they arrived, but I received no reply from them. Anyway, for me, that's two less-than-pleasant experiences that I have had with Mid-Fifty. Up to the purchase of the fenders, I had spent over $1500 for parts from them. I'd like to feel that I was a valued customer. But, instead my impression is that they don't really care if I ever do business with them again.
I may have agreed about repo sheetmetal often being poor quality, but that isn't the fault of the supplier, but of the manufacturer. There are only one or two 3rd world manufacturers of these parts using less than OEM quality methods and dies, so the supplier has the choice of selling those parts or none at all. Even if you buy genuine NOS parts, the fit is likely to be less than perfect, ask any body shop how much rework/fitting they often have to do. No matter who you buy from, the parts are likely to come from the same manufacturer. The supplier doesn't get to order a pile of parts to sort through and send back any that don't meet their standards either.
There are plenty o suppliers that are just in it for the money and couldn't care less about the customer, especially in the current economy, MF is IMO one of the few that goes out of their way to provide good service. How many others will print right in their catalog that a part quality is less than desirable or is expensive?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my bed extension panels today, along with a handful of mini-tootsie rolls.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Just placed a $400+ order with Mid-Fifty. That is just one of many and I don't think it will be the last. I have only had one experience of receiving the wrong part and when I pointed it out, they sent me a return label immediately. I plan to stop in and say "Hi" when I pass through their area next month

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I also like their "we'll take it back anytime" policy. They understand that a lot of us order parts in advance of their build and may not get to them as soon as you intended. If you then find that a part is not what you needed or has a problem, they will take it back, no questions or restocking fees at any time.