6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:53 PM
kidoo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duralast/Steering Gear (Power Steering) $274 + core.
Is it this one a Autozone?
Duralast/Steering Gear (Power Steering) (7817) | AutoZone.com

I also have moog ball joint and moog tie rod life warranty.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
goosehunta
Elder User
Originally Posted by fixxxer-upper
I went with MOOG on the ball joints and have not had any problems so far (I keep them greased religiously). Pro Comp on the suspension system, can't complain yet on the performance. I went cheapo (autozone) on the steering box due to limited funds at the time. It came with a lifetime warranty....I have swapped it out (freebie) already.

Constant inspections and preventative maintenance on your truck will trump everything! Don't wait until the "uhoh" moment.
how long did the first autozone gearbox last you?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
fixxxer-upper
FTE Fan

Originally Posted by goosehunta
how long did the first autozone gearbox last you?
Almost three years. Autozone held up their end on the warranty!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 AM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Originally Posted by fixxxer-upper
Almost three years. Autozone held up their end on the warranty!
I love lifetime warranties!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Proracing
New User
I also have gone through one box. My truck has 80k miles on it and only about 10k with the lift. Ford also replaced mine under extended warranty.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
goosehunta
Elder User
so would say go ahead and get a gearbox from auto zone being that they hold up their lifetime warranty?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
so would say go ahead and get a gearbox from auto zone being that they hold up their lifetime warranty?
You can continue to get Autozone warranties and change the boxes out or get a Red Head and not worry about it again. No brainer for me.

DSMMH

Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM
fixxxer-upper
FTE Fan

Your call on that one. Pay the money for the premium box or swap the Autozone unit out when a new one is needed. So, the money saved at the time was worth it to me. The second gearbox has been fine so far.

Good Luck.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMMH
You can continue to get Autozone warranties and change the boxes out or get a Red Head and not worry about it again. No brainer for me.

DSMMH
No brainer for me too. Red Head all the way. Autozone wouldn't even get a consideration here.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM
goosehunta
Elder User
i emailed red head today and got a price quote. gave my truck info, 2006 F350 4x4 on 35s he quoted me at $396 Exchange. also in stock.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
K80
Junior User
[quote=K80;11480860]I have no mods on my '05. As I mention, I use this truck as I would an SUV, nice and easy and for long distance trips. I use my '08 Liberty for local trips......Got my truck back from the dealer yerterday; they put in a re-built box and did an alignment. After I got it home I looked and found the grease boot cut at the Pitman arm and also the steering wheel offset to the right (about three inches) as I am driving straight. It is going back Tuesday. The service manager says a little cut in the booth is not a problem as there is enough grease packed to prevent road dirt from doing damage. I would not expect this from a dealship since this is all paid for by my Ford extended warranty. This is my second extended warranty ($5,800 spent) and little by little I am getting my money back as this is by no means my first extended warranty work.....on the invoice they list an 388898s seal, I wonder if this is the grease boot that should have been replaced and not used. Anyway, thanks for all your replies and input concerning this job. Mike

As a follow up to my thread above: Brought my '05 back to the Dealer today to deal with the off-center steering wheel and ripped grease boot on the drag link. They replaced the drag link and re-aligned the front end....all is good now; steering wheel is centered. Thank you all for the advice so mentioned in your responces. Mike

Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 AM
HonkiTruck460
New User
Can a bad box wear your tie rods quicker? Seems like these trucks have a big prob with steering. Mine whines and wanders likw no other. Would anyone say a used box is a good idea?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mich6.0
look from the bottom and you will see the adjustment screw on the steering box, you have to get your arm up from the bottom between the the lower hose off the radiator. I had to adjust my neighbors last year
This adjusts the mesh between the worm gear and sector gear, which in these gearboxes is not the issue. The bushings at the ends of the worm gear wear over time, and this is what contributes to the feeling that you're "driving on a bubble" with the steering falling off or drifting to the right or to the left.

Redhead replaces the bushings with bearings when they reman these boxes. Get a redhead steering gear.
I installed a Redhead gear; ball joints (XRF); axle seals; tie rod ends; drag link this past August. Drives like a champ now. No more correcting all the time as I'm going down the road.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
I am organizing a redhead steering box group buy in the excursion forums. Here is a link:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-box-buy.html

We currently have enough people for a $50 discount off the price of a box, if your interested read the thread it has lots of useful information and is a very highly recommended modification.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
For the ones that want a Redhead gear box you might want to have a look at this post
they are doing a group buy on then and there will be some type of discount.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-box-buy.html

I for one will be jumping on this.

Sean

Quick Reply: Steering Box