6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge CS or CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
How can you get your unit to power up before you turn your key. To check the ficm at koeo BEFORE the initial buzz?
Mine powers up, usually, just by turning the key to ON. If it doesn't boot up, just touch the ENTER button and it will. It takes a minute or so to boot up. It won't be before the injector test buzz, but why does that matter? I can still see FICM volts before starting, during cranking, during inductive heating, and while running. What else matters? Inductive heating is the big issue, and I've proven that this is not turned on until the engine is running. The IH period is when the load is highest on the FICM.

Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Also diagnosing HP oil leaks is pretty hard on this without the IPR pid.
Agreed on that, and I wish the Insight did IPR%. Still, I was able to diagnose an HPO leak simply by watching how long the ICP took to build up after the engine had sat for a while. In fact the leak was so slow that it couldn't be deteced by the shop air test, nor by the IPR%. But I could see the difference in how long the ICP took to purge air. But you're right, we sure would like to have IPR% available. I'm hoping that Edge will listen and add it to a future firmware release.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:06 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Edge finally got the FICM V in... IPR% is the last 'critical gauge we're missing. While Edge is changing the firmware they need to get rid of the Power Level: I box.... that's the one thing I hate the most about the CTS

Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Edge finally got the FICM V in... IPR% is the last 'critical gauge we're missing. While Edge is changing the firmware they need to get rid of the Power Level: I box.... that's the one thing I hate the most about the CTS
I will confess that it is not all 3 cherries with the Insight. Mine will not reset the min/max logs. It locks up if I try. There is a later firmware available, but threads on that say there are other bugs with it. The stupid thing will not always start up when the key is turned to ON, and if it doesn't you have to touch the screen or a button to wake it up. It is voltage sensitive, and guys using battery tenders have problems with it. Edge is slow to respond to these issues, and try to feed us BS workarounds. Missing the IPR% PID is a ridiculous omission on their part.

And after all those complaints, they took a step backward from the old model Insight. On it I could have 4 pages, with 8 gauges each, and I could scroll between the 4 pages with a single button. So effectively I had 32 different things I could monitor. Had trouble figuring out what to do with them all. And now we've only got a max of 8 on just one page. Why the hell did they reduce the capabilities?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
How hard could it be to add some more options to the screen.... really, put 3 more PIDS where the power level box is is. Turn the power level arrows into page flippers and have more than one screen. Have an option that poking a gauge on the CTS cycles through a list of PIDs assigned to that location, kind of like the buttons on a scangauge. Put a 4 (or only 2) analog sweep option in.

Just little customizations that make the box more yours and less factory. That's the whole point of buying from Edge anyways.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen trucks FICM voltage dip during the initial injector buzz. For instance my bosses truck did this. He has bad hard starts white smoke that smelled of fuel heavy. His only issue was the FICM voltage dipped to 25 volts during the initial buzz. FICM fixed and it starts fine now.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
lee_faust2008
Senior User
could some one point me in the right direction for what average PIDs should be reading number wise?? as far as all the gauges im not sure what a good number is and when i should say ok theres a problem with something like whats a good oil temp number tranny temp oil pressue fuel pressure egt readings??

Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
utjer
Elder User
Originally Posted by bpounds
And after all those complaints, they took a step backward from the old model Insight. On it I could have 4 pages, with 8 gauges each, and I could scroll between the 4 pages with a single button. So effectively I had 32 different things I could monitor. Had trouble figuring out what to do with them all. And now we've only got a max of 8 on just one page. Why the hell did they reduce the capabilities?
I still have the old model insight and love it. Does anyone know if they ever did a firmware upgrade for it to see ficm volts? Its been forever since I have taken it out of the truck to update it. It runs flawlessly.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:40 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lee_faust2008
could some one point me in the right direction for what average PIDs should be reading number wise?? as far as all the gauges im not sure what a good number is and when i should say ok theres a problem with something like whats a good oil temp number tranny temp oil pressue fuel pressure egt readings??
Check the tech folder for a lot of info on thresholds. Also contact user bismic and ask him for his spreadsheets.

Originally Posted by utjer
I still have the old model insight and love it. Does anyone know if they ever did a firmware upgrade for it to see ficm volts? Its been forever since I have taken it out of the truck to update it. It runs flawlessly.
They have officially said no more updates for the legacy Insight.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
I have the glow shift led fuel pressure gauge im going to install this weekend
To upgrade to the cts with egt & fuel probes would be very $$$ I like the location in the wallet cubbie hole

Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
utjer
Elder User
Originally Posted by bpounds
Check the tech folder for a lot of info on thresholds. Also contact user bismic and ask him for his spreadsheets.

They have officially said no more updates for the legacy Insight.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by utjer
I also have my old insight on a shelf that I'd still be using if it could read ficm voltage. Never had a problem with it. But the CTS well I've been on the phone with Edge for freezing while loading then two beeps with a black screen. They fixed those problems but now my screen is flickering.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
built tough
Senior User
hey guys so i just put the evolution cts in can anyone tell me what stage they run it on for low hp boost mine show stock,tran only, tow,performance and extreme

Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
homerj
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
I have to agree with you

Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
homerj
Senior User
Originally Posted by Curt's05
I have the glow shift led fuel pressure gauge im going to install this weekend
To upgrade to the cts with egt & fuel probes would be very $$$ I like the location in the wallet cubbie hole
I had the old one and got the new CTS from them and got an up grade price..$200 somthing.
And there are sites on line that sale the EDGE stuff way cheper then there home site.

Last edited by homerj; 02-25-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spehlin
Old 02-25-2012, 02:17 PM
homerj
Senior User
I had the old one and it never worked right, got new ones from them and still problems...well years later I tried again and got the CST. Yes you have to buy a new EGT adapter. But like it and hadn't had any issues.

I wish you could see more then 8 things but have it on analog gage and have alarm set for other things not on screen and it will go off if out of range.Nice to see max's but wish you could chose which ones.

I bought the CTS for bigger screen and wanted (and got) the back up camera.
My wife got me the outside temp gage adapter for like $30 but to hook up you need to buy the other adapter for $150 (list prise) to use it..kinda lame.

But plain on getting the Fuel pressure next.
I had a friend who was having issues with starting and I told him if he came over we could see if his FCIM was low by putting on his truck...never did, but thats what it was he found out later.

So yes i think it was worth it to me for the $$$