ford_pickup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, how did I miss this thread, awesome job, looking forward to progress

Old 01-27-2016, 08:16 AM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
I used to have one of those air compressors on mine... They make shorter ones too. The shorter one might clear if you run the power steering pump off of the belt drive. The main problem is these old trucks need vacuum for the ac controls.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:34 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thats no problem...I wont need any vaccum...got a part number for the shorter one? Brand etc.?

Ford pickup....Thread is easy to miss due to the lack of progress.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:47 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
This week's progress,

This is the only way to go. (strap is not in pic)

My bender screwed up...it wasn't me...nope.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:54 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Finally NOT supported by chains or jacks.

Was getting ready to start on the engine x member when this showed up.

UH OH!!! I told Ron Davis what I needed and they kinda listened. I'll deal with that soon enough. Missed it by that much.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 PM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
oh that there is bitchen..... looking good man. No doubts u wont get that licked.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Almost got this x member finished. i ran out of weld thru primer and i ordered some big freakin annular cutters for my mag drill. Man, I wish I had an ironworker...someday. I'll get this tacked Sunday and start on the skid plate.

I noticed that my shop floor has nothing, and I mean nothing, in common with Tomahawk's.

Thinking this would be a good spot for bump stops...thats the plan anyway.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
73 Crew
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great job with the crew cab build. Your work and fabrication skills look great to us FTE members watching builds. I was wondering if you can post part # for the drill and magnetic base you used for drilling the transfer case hanger frame insets. Does the bit for sleeves need a pilot hole or does it bore in one step just slowly with plenty of lube so bit does not burn up. What is the diameter of bit used for most of the sleeves used in the cross member fabrication. Whats the average time to bore with the large diameter bit for sleeves threw the frame Thanks for any information you can provide.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
You can pick any drill you like. One thing to remember is they need more than 3/16 of frame thickness to grab a hold and not let go if you push too hard while drilling.

Solution is to just clamp extra plate to the frame giving you approx 1/2" of material for the mag to hold on nice and strong.

I wanted to have a 1/2 ID along with a .120 wall tube so I used a 13/16 annular cutter. This is a bit large but it give me a little wiggle room if my measurements are off a smidge but also let the weld puddle get all the way into the frame for good penetration.

No pre drilling needed. Just hit it with a center punch and make a hole. The cutter has a pilot bit that is just pointed so you can center it over your punch mark.

I spend more time lubing the bit than drilling...it's that fast. You won't want to use a regular drill bit ever again. I promise. No lube time I suppose you could march right through a frame in like 5 seconds.

I got mine about 6 months ago so I'm still learning but it was worth every penny.

USE THE SAFETY STRAP! ,that will at least slow the drill down if the magnet happens to let go.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Did I happen to mention how much I like my mag drill.

I picked up a few larger bits, I got 1.250/1.5/1.75 and 2.0.

Finished up my new x member and decided I better just tack it in place for now seeins how sometimes things kinda happen in my world and I dont want to have to start over again.

I've had this much done before.

Made the front hangers for the skid. These will be attached to the x member above and support the front end of skid with 9/16th fine thread bolts. I'm using .250 AR for the skid due to the fact that I have 100 4'x4' sheets....that is not a typo.

It's pretty tuff. I hit it with a 454 Casull 325gn. Hornady XTP @ 10 yards to see just how tuff it was.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:52 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Holy Cow Grinner. That steel was obviously Cold too.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:23 PM
crozzymoto
Junior User
That's a helluva lot of steel! Did you mean like AR500 steel? If so your rig should be pretty much bulletproof! Everything's looking great too that mag drill seems to be working real well!

Old 02-17-2016, 05:00 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
It's AR something. I salvaged it from a very high end indoor range. This plate was the ceiling baffles. Right place, right time.

Finished up the front skid bracket today and tacked it so I could actually see how this plate will work out.

You get the idea....I added 2 pieces of DOM through the side holes.

Big ole glop of grease on the oil drain and I know right where to drill that hole. Pretty smart for a dummy, huh?

Looks like I can trim 2.0 from each side and gain a bit more clearance for d shaft and exhaust.

I think I'm going to split the skid at the trans CM...Or maybe right behind it and make a second section to cover the transfer case. Gonna have to sit there a while and figure out how I want to do this.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:34 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What model number is that mag drill? That would really be handy around my shop. I need to invest in more tools now that I have a space to work in. Those x members came out awesome can't wait to see more on the skid plate.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:55 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Drill is a Milwaukee 4270...Thanks Crazed.

Quick Reply: Finally own a crew