1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Good Deal? Possibly buying 1970 f100

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 AM
TS_Hampton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Deal? Possibly buying 1970 f100

So I have been looking off and on for a pre 73 f100 for the past 3-4 years. Everytime I almost pull the trigger and pick one up something just doesn't feel right.

So now I have come to the point where I really want to get something soon. I have a wedding next Summer and wanted to have my ole pickup to drive away in. So here is what I am currently looking at Let me know what you guys think and if it would be a smart buy.

The seller is asking for $2500

Sale description:
1970 Ford F-100 SWB pickup. 302 V8.(54K miles on dash) Automatic transmission. Power steering.Here is the description and new parts listing kind of mixed in together. It has strong 302 out of a 1971 Torino. Edelbrock aluminum intake manifold. New Edelbrock 600 cfm 4-barrel carburetor. Headers. New alternator. New voltage regulator. Dual battery setup. New Edelbrock breather. New fuel pump. New front shocks. New radial arm bushings. New brakes front and rear. New master cylinder. Dual exhaust with crome tips. AM/FM cassette radio. New voltmeter. New oil pressure gauge. Water temp gauge. Freshly rebuilt heavy duty truck radiator. The automatic transmission was professionally rebuilt Chrome rails on truck bed. White Delta truckbed toolbox with keys. Sliding back glass. Needs a starter bushings and a good paint job

Here are a few pictures I will post more tomorrow once I have the time to resize them.

Attached Images      
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM
TS_Hampton
New User
130+ views and No input?

Well lets compare with another truck then. I am also looking at this 68 the guy is asking 2k for it.

Sale Description
Red and White with a rebuilt 390 and automatic trans. Truck was restored in the 80s. The body is a little rough but still solid for a 44 year old truck. Runs great. I purchased the truck 2 and 1/2 years ago wanting to restore it but just don't have the time. I put a bit of money into it getting it running well and mechanically sound but haven't done anything to the body.

Recent Brake Work:I replaced the master cylinder, all the drums, shoes, and brake cylinders. Fixed the emergency brake. I think i replaced a line or two i cant remember. If it needed it or if it was close to be broke I fixed it.

Rust Issues: The biggest rust spot was the front right wheel well right under the battery but someone put in a new piece of metal to hold the battery in. There are some other spots that are going but nothing major. There are some bondo spots that are breaking loose. As I said the body isn't close to being done.

Attached Images       
Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 PM
70-360fe
Elder User
Good deal for 2500.00, sounds like alot of the bugs have been taken care of already.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While the truck doesn't look that bad I caution you to look at what you have. I see one example right off. The right side grill is broken. $80 for a new replacement. PS pump looks like a cobbled up mounting. This would make me cautious about the truck. If he does that kind of work where it can be seen what are things like he touched that you can not see. I also see a bad armrest. A bunch of those littles can add up fast. Looks like manual brakes. You will probably want to convert to pwr in the future. Again another expense. I would define what you want as the end truck/the ideal truck. How much will it cost you to have your ideal truck using this as a base? Is the bed floor bad? Covered up with a piece of steel? If so I would be looking real hard at the underside of the truck for rust. If so there is a bed in your future or replacing the floor.

What's the button under the dash? Cobbled up horn instead of doing the steering wheel correctly? Drum brakes up front? If yes you will most likely want to swap out for discs. All in all I see an $800 truck. Mismatched add on gauges. I know these trucks are rising in purchase price but I would be wary of this one.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:23 AM
duphofff
Senior User
I don't see $2500 there for a number of reasons, many of them already mentioned. It's easy to drop a grand and have it arrive in 2 or three boxes. I see that in the truck you are looking at.

A number of things to think about..... Why the add on guages? Did the ones in the cluster quit working or is it just so cloudy (26.00 lens) that thay cant be seen? What as done to the harness to add them.

About the horn and wheel.... Do the signals cancel (60.00 switch) and does the horn button work in that aftermarket wheel?

How about the seat.... did someone drill the seat rails or just add more holes to the floor?

Looks like black Wallyworld wipers.. Like the correct Trico ones are hard to find, not... (another 30) If the seller can't spend the time to get the correct wipers where else did he cut corners?

Flex radiator hoses?? Great way to break that new radiator. Another corner cut.

Raised letter tires look to have curb rash. If you want to "restore" the truck you can dump 200 or a ton more into wheels and hubcaps.

Is the dash cracked... 120 to recover and a pain to remove in order to do it right.

Windshield need a new gasket? They all do after 40 years. I just looked at 47XXX mile 70 last weekend. I got the seller down to 6000 and passed because I saw 2000 in parts to make it nice. Plastic and rubber wears out after 40 years. You can spend 100 getting the washer pump, tank, and hoses replaced.

What's up with the plate in the bed? Why is the spare in there? Could spend another 100+ to get it down below the bed and out of the way.

Some good things though. Bumpers look good and as most people don't use thse for work it's nice that it doesnt have a step bumper on the rear.

What part of the country are you in? If you are in the rust belt and the truck is rust free it is certainly a bonus. I've sold many bumps in the 1500 to 2000 range after swaping out parts and replacing them to make the truck fully functional and complete. I really think that is the range you should be in for this truck. I'd lean closer to the 1500 range and that is only if it can be proven that the work was done that the seller claims was done. How about a receipt for the trans work? With more pictures my mind could be changed.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
I do not assess any value to the engine or trans. The vehicle needs those to function. If anything I assess more value to stock than tampered with. Odds are neither is built to your liking anyway. Even if he had receipts I see too much cobble to trust anything he has done on the truck. Needs a starter, does this mean this jewel doesn't run? I see he has done the brakes. Scary, after seeing what he has done elsewhere. The more I look at it the worse it gets.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
I agree the 70 looks like a cobbled up mess! Check out that throttle linkage. That is a train wreck waiting to happen! He will be lucky to get a grand for that. The 68 looks like it has been taken a little better care of.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM
BlueovalFE
Senior User
Shortbeds are harder to find, and worth a little more. FYI, I bought a '69 almost 6 years ago that was in pretty bad shape that I paid $2000 for. Had to replace a lot of front end parts, the entire interior, and lots of little things. It was cobbled up as bad or worse than this one. Get him to come off that price and get busy with it. With time and money, you can have a nice looking truck.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 PM
my55fordpkup
New User
A buddy of mine is thinking of selling his '71 it was a regular driver pretty much all original, then a friend of his rolled it...he now has a new cab off of a '72 that is actually the same color and in good shape sitting next to the rolled truck as well as a manual trans because he was thinking of fixing it all up and changing it to a manual. Now, due to lack of funds he wants to sell it but has no idea what itd be worth....any ideas on price? i was thinking maybe 1000.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:55 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by my55fordpkup
A buddy of mine is thinking of selling his '71 it was a regular driver pretty much all original, then a friend of his rolled it...he now has a new cab off of a '72 that is actually the same color and in good shape sitting next to the rolled truck as well as a manual trans because he was thinking of fixing it all up and changing it to a manual. Now, due to lack of funds he wants to sell it but has no idea what itd be worth....any ideas on price? i was thinking maybe 1000.
It's a parts truck at best, $1000.00 would be tops for an excellent running gear.

John