Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

proper coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
mudguts
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proper coolant

Hi: I was wondering whats the best brand of anti freeze to run? to avoid cavatation. Thanks MudGuts

Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM
finitetime
Senior User
cavitation? Why do you have a problem with cavitation? I personally would just put cheap old green in it cause that what all the gaslets are for. Read up about all the lawsuits going on cause some of the newer coolants didn't work well the gaskets in there new cars.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM
mudguts
Senior User
Nope: I dont have any cavatation, Just got done rebuilding it, and wanted to make sure that I do things right. Thanks MudGuts.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by finitetime
cavitation? Why do you have a problem with cavitation? I personally would just put cheap old green in it cause that what all the gaslets are for. Read up about all the lawsuits going on cause some of the newer coolants didn't work well the gaskets in there new cars.
Ummm have you read about cavitation? Regular green stuff WILL CAUSE cavitation over time, unless its treated with SCA's.

I've been using Fleet Charge, Tractor Supply has it, its precharged with SCA's. If you want regular coolant, you can add the SCA's. Its been discussed ad nauseam... have you discovered the search feature?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Oooh ooh! I know this one......

Fleetcharge antifreeze comes with the SCA you need to prevent cavitation already in it. O'Reilly carries it, but you may find it other places as well.

There are also additives you can, well, add to regular coolants that do the same thing. Don't have names or PNs immediately available (sorry), but a bit of searching should turn them up. I'm pretty sure NAPA or your local Ford dealership sell them.

Mike

Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 PM
mudguts
Senior User
Thank you, I remembered reading on a post about a brand that already had the sca in it, and could'nt remember the name (fleet charge). Thanks again MudGuts. I would have spent more time searching on my own but dont get much time on the computer,between my concrete const, Bussiness and a store, the 2 keep me swamped.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
or use Extended Life Coolant such as Final Charge or any ELC that says "Meets Cat EC-1" on the bottle and forego the need for SCAs altogether! .... That ought to mix things up.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
Originally Posted by finitetime

Really?! Get with the program cavitation is an engine killer and one of the worst possible things that can happen to your engine and you should know this the. 7.3L International Harvester IDI is especially suseptable to this problem. If I were you I would do some research and and flush your system ASAP and add the proper coolant.

Originally Posted by therifleman556
or use Extended Life Coolant such as Final Charge or any ELC that says "Meets Cat EC-1" on the bottle and forego the need for SCAs altogether! .... That ought to mix things up.
What is the diferance between EC-1 and SCA's

Old 02-22-2012, 06:51 AM
mudguts
Senior User
since I hot tanked my block and replaced the radiator, heater core,water pump,and all new hose's, and rebuilt the oil cooler. and a new coolant filter, I think I'll just run the fleet charge, unless I hear some thing different.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 AM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Cat EC-1 is just Caterpillar's spec for extended life coolant. How it prevents cavitation I dont know but Cat's OTR engines have been using it for years with the majority of them being squeeky clean inside the cooling passages. ELC is an organic acid coolant, no SCAs are required; just add the appropriate amount of extender (probably a pint in our engines) after three years or 300k miles and call it good for another three years. Motorcraft Gold coolant is similar, I just used the Cat stuff cause its available at most truck stops- no need for a Ford dealership. Maybe the Motorcraft and Cat are compatable; I wont say cause I dont know.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you travel much I recommend something that is available at most any parts house and or roadside gas station/mini mart ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~