1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 10:47 PM
Red60
Cargo Master
Received 368 Likes on 289 Posts
Insurance

Do any of you have insurance on your Fridge that you like and can recommend? I have lost several vehicles to other drivers error and got unsatisfactory results every time. Repairs can be just as unimpressive.

Maybe a thread for tips to pool knowledge would help? Thanks in advance!

60 Red F100

60 Blue F250

61 Yellow F100

It has become very difficult to do a stated value with State Farm. Anyone using Haggerty? Whats the process like?

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-14-2021, 11:38 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Do a search in the other truck areas as it has been posted in each one.
insurance is only as good till you need it!
2 years with Haggerty stated not used and hope I never have to as I will be locked up for killing someone!
Dave ----

Old 09-14-2021, 01:30 PM
Ibex
Tuned
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
I have a 1967 Camaro that I have insured through Grundys. They ask where you keep it. Is it locked up. How many miles you expect to drive a year. How much you want to insure it for. I have Texas Antique plates on it. They are good for 5 years. Does not have to be inspected. Cannot be used for driving back and forth to work etc. Insurance is less than $300 a year. Will probably go with them if I ever get my truck on the road.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:30 PM
Doug O
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
insurance

My insurance is similar to Ibex's. I have mine registered as an antique in PA. I use American Collectors Insurance | Classic Car Insurance Its about $300 a year. I have not had to use it yet but the rates were good and you got to pick how much your truck is worth. Towing was also included. Good luck.

Doug

Old 09-14-2021, 10:25 PM
Red60
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Do a search in the other truck areas as it has been posted in each one.
insurance is only as good till you need it!
2 years with Haggerty stated not used and hope I never have to as I will be locked up for killing someone!
Dave ----
My searches didn’t provide much, maybe I did them wrong.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:50 AM
Ibex
Tuned
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
You can get a quote from Haggerty or Grundys online. See what they have to offer. Answer how much you drive, where it is kept, how much you want to insure it for.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:35 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Red60
My searches didn’t provide much, maybe I did them wrong.
When I get on my pc and can remember I will try and search for posts on this.
Dave ----

Old 09-17-2021, 11:29 AM
skooli250
New User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got classic car insurance through Haggerty's. Haven't needed them yet, but they're very affordable. I do have mileage limitations though.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 AM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Haggerty. A SC antique plate restricts use way more than my insurance does and Y.O.M. is a huge headache here. I registered my '58 with a standard non-commercial plate.

Lou Manglass

Old 09-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Red60
Cargo Master
I have standard plates and want insurance that will allow me to drive normally but protect the actual value and replacement cost. I have been watching the market and these trucks are becoming difficult to replace with anything except junkyard pieces... add in factory 4x4 and its more complicated.

Has anyone paid for a appraisal and then used that to keep the insurance guys honest?

Old 09-19-2021, 08:54 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
I have standard plates and want insurance that will allow me to drive normally but protect the actual value and replacement cost. I have been watching the market and these trucks are becoming difficult to replace with anything except junkyard pieces... add in factory 4x4 and its more complicated.

Has anyone paid for a appraisal and then used that to keep the insurance guys honest?
Getting an appraisal is a good idea. But regardless of what insurance company you use be sure to get an "AGREED VALUE". You can claim you truck is worth what ever $$$ but without an agreed value they can claim it's only worth $25.
I don't use any of the classic car companies, too many restrictions.. I talked to Hagerty once and they asked what my daily driver was and when I told them it was the truck they hung up on me

Old 09-19-2021, 10:18 AM
Red60
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hiball3985
Getting an appraisal is a good idea. But regardless of what insurance company you use be sure to get an "AGREED VALUE". You can claim you truck is worth what ever $$$ but without an agreed value they can claim it's only worth $25.
I don't use any of the classic car companies, too many restrictions.. I talked to Hagerty once and they asked what my daily driver was and when I told them it was the truck they hung up on me
Thats helpful information. Did you go the agreed value route?

Old 09-19-2021, 11:42 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner

Sorry I have not searched the other areas for the post like I said

I have normal plates on my truck and with the insurance I can drive it just about anywhere and time I want, think just short of DD (but I have done that for 2 weeks at a time and it is 37 miles each way to work).
As said with them fancy plates the state tells you when & where you can drive as do some of the insurance people. I dont think the state says it needs to be parked in a locked garage like the insurance dose.

One day I would like to get my truck appraised maybe if I ever get my 70 AMC Javelin done, have them both done?
It would not hurt just so you know but with the agreed value the insurance should pay that "agreed value".
Now if you agree on say 10K and the truck gets appraised at 20K then to bad on you and you should of agreed on 20K to start.

Now think someone pointed out that maybe the higher the agreed value may come with more restriction?
My agreed value on my 81 F100 Flare Side is $12,000, tax value of the truck (just go the bill) is just under $9,000 so I guess pretty close.
I can also call them and raise it from 12K to what ever I want at any time.
Now could it be replaced for 12k, who knows?
I can keep the truck if it is totaled, maybe buy back? And if I had any parts I can get them insured also, I dont have any parts worth insuring.

Now something that was not asked yet is insuring a project before it is on the road.
I have not looked into it as I do not think any of my projects are worth it at this point in time but some of the people with show type restores may want to look into this.
Dave ----

Old 09-19-2021, 12:10 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Thats helpful information. Did you go the agreed value route?
No I actually haven't. This info about the agreed value was passed on to me by a friend that worked as an insurance adjuster. I don't know how much it may increase the premium? My truck is so old, built it in 1975 for about $2500 and now has 446000 miles on it so it's paid for its self so I don't worry about any great loss. I've only had one claim back in 2000 when I had a 66 Mustang stolen. I bought it for a $1000 and the insurance gave me $8000 for it with no agreed value..

Old 09-19-2021, 02:15 PM
JohnNewb
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 62 Posts
I had a girlfriend that was a claims supervisor for a major insurance company. Her adjusters always offered clients low book value. When they complained her job was to check comps and negotiate a settlement. If you have an actual agent, talk to him about insuring for an agreed value. Make sure you save receipts and photos proving condition. Insurance companies are for profit businesses. They are there to make money, not your day.

Quick Reply: Insurance