Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT: Would you sell for a cash offer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
We are looking for a good 7.3 extended cab 8' box DRW truck if any of you southern guys wanna let one go?

I'd sell my X for anything over 18K but not a penny less.

I am also one of those unshaven, hole in the shoe kind of guys that pays cash for everything. The poorer people think you are the less they ask of you. I find when I wear nice cloths and drive me X people are always bothering me for stuff. When I drive my pos civic and wear every day work cloths people don't even wanna look at me and thats the way I like it.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by ajorn
I don't think 14k is low. It's a niche market with a fairly small buyer base. I had been thinking about selling but on the fence. Maint cost is high and my needs have changed. I only drive it 5 miles a day, no towing, etc.

I love the ex as much as the next person on the forum but I felt like it was time to move on.

I did back up what I said to the buyer. Sold the ex on saturday, cash in hand.
I'm glad you got your price, good for you

Funny how I think we all go through that "what if I had said $xx instead of $yy"

Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 AM
ajorn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all about where you are in life and what you need. The people saying they wouldn't part with their vehicles for anything less than 20k just mean they don't want to sell and that's fine.

For me, I was using the Ex as a short distance commuter, not it's strong suit, so I thought it was time to sell and I got a good price for it. No hassles, no crazy craigslist people. Cash and a done deal.

With the money I'm going to buy a portable lift for the garage, a temporary car and be on the lookout for an Extended cab short bed SD with a stick that needs work. The rest of the money will be invested until I get an urge for another vehicle.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I find when I wear nice cloths and drive me X people are always bothering me for stuff. When I drive my pos civic and wear every day work cloths people don't even wanna look at me and thats the way I like it.

Did i post this?????????????

LOL

Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM
PEI
Senior User
Originally Posted by caverjoe
Dont price something if you are not willing to let it go.

Agreed!

I would never give a quick number out of my head. You will always lowball yourself!

I dont think I could sell mine now.. But the right price maybe.. Been eyeing up some volvo semis to haul our RV. But no rush on that.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 AM
ajorn
Senior User
It was funny because I had been thinking of selling and just posted an ad on craigslist the day prior, so the number was thought out. I wonder if timeframe / work has something to do with it. I had lots of time into that Ex and had it for 3 years. I know Joe has a lot of time in his and he said he'd let his go.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
Wow....I completely zoned out, I just realized this was about Excursions, I said 20k+ for my dually, I would guess Ex's are even rarer than trucks, I would think I could score another nice 350 psd for 15k but with my low miles and rust free almost mint truck...not a dime under 20k. I have never seen or heard of one even close to what I found, so I think my asking price would be pretty reasonable

Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Agree with everyone, but in all honesty, ~20k for a 10+ year old vehicle is a stretch.

it's not vintage yet..... just old...

have heard winter texans proclaiming "it's a 7.3l, it is LIKE gold". yet they are trying to SELL......

Old 02-14-2012, 10:51 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
I'm with you, mine is a teenager ! But the guy was serious, I'm guessing because we're in NJ...the land of rust and such, he looked underneath and his eyes got wide ! When I said no thanks to his generous offer...he handed me his # and kindly begged me to call him if I changed my mind. I was flattered and thanked my wife again,although she wasn't there, for letting me buy the truck when I did. Rust free is nearly non existent here in jersey.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't take anything under $20k for mine. Not saying it is worth that, but to ME it is. Everything has a price, it's all about how much you want to spend replacing it

Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 00Dave
PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS! I had a similar situation a few years ago where I overpriced and the guy said lets go to the bank, it's just down the street. Got ready to get in the vehicle and another guy came up and the next thing I know they are both trying to scam me. I'm not saying that is the case here, but you want to be careful that someone isn't waiting for you at the bank when you both get there. Sorry to be untrusting, but it happened and I am a little more careful in my decisions. Good luck on your decision, I know it would be tough to decide to let go or keep my truck, but 14 wouldn't do it for me.
I don't believe you are being untrusting. It is a sick world we live it. Everytime I make a large cash deal I carry a gun and bring a buddy as back up. Let's just say I have learned from my past. It could also go down like this; You get the money in your hands and you already signed over the title and his buddy rolls you as you come out or follows you then robs you. Then he gets his cash back and gets to keep your truck! I had bought a car for my wife a few years ago from a shady used car lot guy and it was in a bad neighorhood. It wasn't a good set up but the deal was right..so I grabbed my 45 and a buddy. So alway ..CYA

And as far as me selling my truck I am a cradle to grave kind of guy when it comes to my trucks. I don't care about the latest and greatest truck out. And my old 7.3 only has 200k on it so it isn't even close to the grave.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:48 PM
ajorn
Senior User
Being aware is a good idea. I have a PT145 and two trips over to Iraq. There would have been headline news if the deal would have turned out to be a scam. Good advise though: hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ajorn
Being aware is a good idea. I have a PT145 and two trips over to Iraq. There would have been headline news if the deal would have turned out to be a scam. Good advise though: hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Amen Brother

Old 02-14-2012, 02:15 PM
loner1
New User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
We are looking for a good 7.3 extended cab 8' box DRW truck if any of you southern guys wanna let one go?
I have a early 2003 XLT 2wd 7.3, 4r100, 410 gears Phoenix AZ.truck w/90,802 E/Z miles, I might let go. I live in Baldwin,Wi. 175 miles West of Stevens Point on I 94.

Don

Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have always said I would keep my truck for a long time. I've had it 10 years now and would probably entertain offers.

I did sell a Mustang for a cash offer. The guy had only seen pictures of it. When he found out I was about to trade it for 93 Cobra, he made me a cash offer. I delivered the car that night. He drove it around the block and handed me cash. It was kind of a weird deal. I had a lot of time and sweat into that car, but sold it with no regrets. My wife cried.

Quick Reply: OT: Would you sell for a cash offer?