Newbie needs advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 AM
dwk1979f250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs advice!

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 79 f-250. It has a 351m and seems to be a recent engine. The truck was sitting for a year prior to me buying it. Would you guys please suggest a list of simple upgrades? Or any ideas on things to look at? I was thinking about plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter (back fired and cut out a few times) ect. I am not a mechanic by any means but as with anything else, there's only one way to figure it out and that's tearing into it and learning it. I know this is a very vague question and I apologize. as my grand dad would say "take advice from your elders and give advice to those younger" well... I need some advice

Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 AM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
First off....WELCOME TO FTE! The Greatest Site, with the GREATEST KNOWLEDGE around! Great to hear about your "NEW" truck!

Plugs, Wires, Distributor Cap, Fuel Filter (Check to see if you have more than one)...I have two installed on mine, one before the fuel pump, to protect the delicate parts in the pump, and one between the pump and carb. Fluid Change...wouldn't hurt to drain and flush the radiator. I always install a new radiator cap on vehicles I purchase. Oil Change, check the transmission fluid, check the level of fluid in the rear axial, brake fluid, power steering, etc...Wiper blades, make sure all your lights are working (easiest at night), air filter...I'm sure there is lots more, but that should get you going in the right direction...

Also post some pics of it. Upload your pics to an alternate photo storage site (Photobucket or something of the sort), get the img code from the pic, and copy and paste it in your message...when you click submit, the pics will appear. Just remember that wherever you copy and paste the img file from, if you move the pictures, your have to update the link...

Have fun, and read a lot of stuff on here...it is so helpful, and the knowledge shared on this site, will rattle your mind!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM
docrw1
New User
Another thing is water in the fuel. Sitting that long water can build up in the tank. Put some high grade fuel in it along with rubbing alcohol.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by docrw1
Another thing is water in the fuel. Sitting that long water can build up in the tank. Put some high grade fuel in it along with rubbing alcohol.
I guess Facebook is starting to spoil me...I was searching for a "LIKE" button! (Just a thought Administrators)...

I do agree with docrw1...run some high grade through it...depending on how much fuel is in the tank, it may be beneficial to drain it, and just run some new through it...also you may want to give the carb a good cleaning as well...if it sat with this "newer" gas (Ethanol additive crap) the carb will probably need a good cleaning...you can also buy some E85 additive from your local parts house, or Wally World...it is greenish in color, it helps to counter act the Ethanol additives in fuel.

Another thought, check your engine for any leaks, if you change your oil your self, it may be worth while to run some Lucas through it for a few hundred mile before you change it...just to help keep the gaskets and seals good and plump...I know when I bought mine, I drove it around town for two days, changed the oil, drove it for another two - three days then changed it again...just to make sure it was clean, and didn't have any issues...(I also had to degrease my engine due to all the build up and gunk on it...but I didn't find any leaks, so it was worth it...)

Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 AM
docrw1
New User
Lol everything thing needs a like button. Calebjns is right. Before you jump on the freeway drive her around town. When you park it notice if it is leaving fluid on the ground. Also does your truck have the factor carb or has someone put a after market on it? Like calebjn said its worth the extra time in the beginning.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
JJJRoberts
Senior User
Welcome to FTE. Seems like you have made a great purchase. It looks like everyone has covered just about everything to check. You will love that motor especialy if you are just getting started. There easy to work on and run great. Please keep us posted on your truck and hope you have many wonderful years with your dent.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
NW 150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mean power adders by simple upgrades, then headers, exhaust, intake, and carb are the some of the first things to be put on a list of stuff to do. Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Yes. Intake, ignition, carb, exhaust, headers, dial in your timing, make sure all filters, air and fuel and oil are good. These are the bolt on mods, might add mileage, power, reliability, cosmetic, sound, and tuneability. I like to think that the 30+ year old technology is wonderful, but with our new unleaded that is cut with alcahol and a different hydrocarbon composition an upgrade of carb, intake, exhaust, ignition, anf maybe fuel pump will be more compatible to our "new and improved" gasoline.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Like Button" is the one with a heart in corner of post.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
dwk1979f250
New User
Amazing information guys!!! Thank you for all the input! I'm making my to-do list as everyone posts I'm trying to figure out photobucket now to post pics. I have one of a wheel well and would love some input on tire size (my first project b/c the tires are dry rotted) I'm thinking about 285 70 16's. Hopefully have pics up soon. Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM
dwk1979f250
New User

Bought "ole red" here for $1500 with another $1500 set aside for fixes/tires. Very little rust on the body and the flatbed with a 5th wheel hitch is in great shape. I have a friend that's a Hercules tire dealer that said he would sell me a set of 285 70 16's for $148 a piece. Sounds like a good deal for that big of a tire, just not sure about the Hercules brand (never heard of em). Any opinions on these tires?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 PM
More Turbo
hey nice truck i love flatbeds i miss mine now!
one more thing to add, drive up to a parts store and ask if they could check the battery and alternator ON the vehicle just to make sure its all good.
i'd change the pcv valve too theyre like $2, and all the vacuum lines and rubber hoses and hose clamps and replace any pinch type hose clamps with the good worm gear kind(cheap insurance right there)
a buddy of mine had some hercules tires on his 78 blazer i think they would look cool on that truck, they look mean, and are great price for as tough as those were!
for the gas tank i always use either seafoam or lucas fuel treatment and run a tank of higher octane fuel

i would change the oil a couple times like said before with cheap oil and filters and get a good motorcraft oil filter or wix brand filter and choose an oil with a good zinc content(known as ZDDP) because new oils dont include that in the formula: rotellaT, valvoline VR1 racing, and Kendall GT1 are my favorite oils, or you may use any decent oil and use a zinc additive like hyperlube or something like that

Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
dwk1979f250
New User
My list is growing (that's a good thing!) gonna order parts tomorrow (rockauto!) gonna buy a book too, ive always just bought chilton, any out there better then that?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:19 PM
More Turbo
eh i prefer haynes, theyre made by the same company but the chilton is like 76-86 the haynes is more specific 73-79 and will have less bullcrap you dont need in it

Old 02-14-2012, 01:36 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Get it to be mechanically reliable to start, (battery, electrical, all lights). Then stop (new brakes, repack front hubs, since you are right there, FYI back drums take a special big socket (rent from parts house) and steer (tires, tie rods, shocks and front end alignment to get the most out of your new tires).

Getting a good book or tech manual on CD will help alot and always read and understand it before you tear into it and throw the question on here (FTE) to get the real deal and the little tips to save you time and money and headache.

Fix all the little issues as you get to know the truck. And of course legal wise tags, insurance. I mean you are working on your investment might as well cover all the bases.

As its a solid start, stop, steer rig, then do a little eng mod at a time and always save a little in your wallet for a blown tire, u joint, starter solenoid (get a extra and carry it in the glove box). GAS

Nothing worse than a broke truck and broke owner, that makes it no fun. And since you are a fellow Missourian well at least the truck was sold probably from Dan Johnson Plattsburg Mo dealership North of KC. You might as well come way to the bottom of the forum list and stop in the regional/midwest region.

Forgot to add that all the advice before is right on as far as tune up and either Seafoam/Heat or Stabill after you get all or as much as you can, the old gas out of it. And the tires on it now look ok tread wise, so get your money's worth outa them. Also looks like the PO installed a add-a lift (one extra leaf spring) on the front end already.

Ck out the Missouri chapter and get to know your FTE neighbors, you have a few right up in KC. We have a monthly BS chat thread and help out each other on parts and advice and even lend a hand pulling eng's and having a FTE G2G (get together/ BBQ).

Or just click this link:

Missouri Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Quick Reply: Newbie needs advice!