1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New guy with F68

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
It looks like that pinion rides too low on the ring gear, to me. Shouldn't the wear pattern be more towards the middle? Comments?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are right to question that contact patern. The reason it looks like that is because the oil ran down the teeth when I stopped to take a pic. Wear is perfect on the teeth.
As for the engine im running it stock w/ a pertronix ignition. Plans are to either get a core flatty and hop it up with cam heads etc or take the 352 out of my 66 parts truck, do it up and swap the engine and trans in one shot.
Look im going for is fairly rodded but still practical as this truck and my Harley are my only wheels. Think 4 inch top chop and locking diff.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Oh wow! gotcha! just saw that and thought....HEY WAIT!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Ya, when I went back to look at the pic it made my heart skip a beat. Had to run outside and check it again.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Krhitchings
Ya, when I went back to look at the pic it made my heart skip a beat. Had to run outside and check it again.
LOL just amazing what happens here when you post a pic! Whew! alright moving on then!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I would stay away from a top chop for 2 reasons:
1 - I am 6' 2" and the top of the windshield is just tall enough that I don't have to slouch down to see out already
2 - The 1 ton is a big truck. Chopping the top messes up the balance of everything.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Ya, the top chop will be in the future if at all. I had the seat made a little shorter when it was recovered to keep the line of sight nice and low.
Also, today I installed the new port engineering wiper motor, what was supposed to be a quick and easy job took almost all day.

First pic is marked to cut as per the instructions

Whipped er up, welded it all together, blah blah blah

Wouldnt fit. Not even close. I tried skimming some off here and there, no luck at all. I ended up having to chop off almost half the duct, hopefully it will still flow alright.

And once i finally got it in, I tried installing their support bracket, it didnt fit so I had to bend it quite a bit, but they anticipated that in the instructions, so no big deal. But as soon as I bolted it up I realized I had a problem.

Am I missing something here? It cuts across directly in front of the inlet to the duct. Has anyone done one of these? I've tried putting that bracket in all sorts of ways but thats the only one that wants to work.
I sure hope this wiper motor works well after this or i will not be dealing with new port again.

Also, cut some holes in my new heater and welded on some pipes to hook my defrost hoses to.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just cut a hole through the bracket.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Well finally got back at the truck today. Apparently stopping in the middle of renovating my living room was a bad idea.
Anyway, tried to install my street rod mfg co disc brake kit and I can't get it to clear my shock on the left side of the truck. Anyone have a photo of how its supposed to go? They kinda just told me to figure it out when I called.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey KR,
You are doing great! Isn't that dual wiper kit a PITA!
It's a marvel of engineering to get that up there working on your back with the defrost & the cowl in the same area. My son's got the truck up at college - He's back Friday - If you are still knee deep in that part I'll post some wiper pics that might help.

My wife would have watched me drive up with that beat up '66
& just shot me on the spot. 30 Days is pretty ambitious but if you can stay away from the Front End & Motor/Trans. This feels like that Chip Foose show "Overhaulin" - where they finish in 7 days working around the clock.

Where's all the snow? I was expecting frozen Alberta tundra....
Good luck - You are off to a good start! Don't hurry the Brakes - replace all the lines & put in a dual chamber master cylinder. We used an Explorer emergency brake.

Ben in Austin

Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Jolly Roger
Junior User
nice work! i've been a little lazy lately with my 49' m68 build, i think this thread just inspired me too get back at it!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice project. Here's a couple of pictures of a nice F-68 I saw at the Street Rod Nationals in Burlington, Vermont, last year to give you a little extra incentive...as if you need any!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Well i made the tsm caliper kit work, had to drill some holes and ditch some spacers, but she should work. You can see the clearance issue in this first pic here.

then these here are the holes i drilled to mount the bracket at a better angle.

and heres the caliper and rotor installed. these are big rotors, same size as teh 3/4 ton diesel i had.

All in all im not overly impressed with the kit, the components are nice, good quality, but when it wont fit and they dont have an answer for you when you call, it kind of makes me shy away from it in the future. But it looks like it should work very well.

Bolted up the rear axle from that 66 (which has since been towed away, to the girlfriends relief).

It fit right in, but was a little deeper then the original, so i needed new ubolts that were just a little longer. Also bent up some brake lines to run to the new cylinders.

Drive shaft was too long so i had it shortened by 1.5 inches. Got new U joints installed in it while they had it. They also had to replace the slip joint as it had twisted at the yoke. Looks like new now.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice job!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Whew! You're movin so fast there almost isn't time to answer a question before you have it solved and have moved past it!
They way you're going you'll have it on the road before I even walk out to the garage again.
But then again I'm older than your truck. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

With the flattie, stock tranny and 4.10 rear, you're not going to win any races but you'll sure be able to pull guys out of snow banks.

Quick Reply: New guy with F68