1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New guy with F68

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with F68

Hey guys, just bought a f68 two weeks ago, and started what will hopefully be a 30 day overhaul last week. I needed a pickup and wanted a rod so I got what will hopefully be both.
Already tore it down for the most part, leaving the engine and trans alone as it runs and drives nicely. Stripped the harness and lights all out of it to put in 12vs through out, pulled the gauge cluster out to replace it with some aftermarkets. Pulled the seat and sent it to be reupholstered.*
Pulled all the brakes apart and the drums and cylinders are ratched, couple shoes could be reused but they're all pretty much toast so I'm doing a rear axle swap (with a 66 f250 CS) to dodge the widow maker problem, the drum problem and the low topend problem and putting in a front disc conversion kit from the street rod manufacturing company. It's the only kit that will retain the 8 bolts, which I want.
So much to do on the darn thing, building speaker boxes to fill the cab wall under the dash, letting me tuck the speakers out of sight, as well as a nice spot for a 12v outlet. Building an insert for the center of the dash to mount a deck and some switches for lights etc. built an insert already for the gauge cluster, slips right in slick as can be.*
Also going to an electric wiper motor from new port engineering, I'll take a bunch of photos of that as apparently you have to mangle your defroster vent to make it fit, and I can't find any threads of someone that has done it.*
I also still have to figure out my heater situation, I'm planning on daily driving this truck, and I live in alberta, it's chilly here to say the least. Does anybody know of any sort of good upgrade or anything like for the cab heater and defroster? I'm afraid the girlfriend will forever scorn me if this thing is a total icebox.*

Anyway, enough ranting, pics to follow ASAP, please let me know of any threads that you think will help me on my little undertaking here.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Krhitchings
New User

pic of the front, those signal lights in the grill, are they factory?

side of the truck, you'd never know that there is a hoist system under that box

the interior, decent shape, ive got the pedals out to replace the master cylinder. floor looks good with a shot of paint.

This is the gauge cluster insert I built, not a perfect fit but good enough for the girls i go with.

a peek at that sweet all stock flatty, including complimentary mouse nest.

heres the seat with its new cover, going to do the interior colors to match it in time, with the exterior to follow.

let me know what you guys think

Old 02-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Aud10mahn
New User
Nice truck! I see you've got the same bed side rot I have...Wondering what's going on with your back window?

Good move on the TSM brakes. That's what I used. I also installed a power brake booster from POL which was set up for the disc/drum combo. That original master cylinder was scary! With the rear axle upgrade most people have had to shorten their driveshaft 1.5 - 2 inches so keep that in mind with your time frame.

Those running lights in the grill are factory and you can buy reproductions and parts if needed.

-Stephen

Old 02-11-2012, 07:17 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a good solid base to start from what I can see.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The signal lights in the grille are actually marker/running lights. The light pods added to the top of the fender were used for turn signals. The lights in the grille are stock. You can rewire the lights in the grille to run turn signals through them. You need to replace the old single contact with a dual contact and intall dual filament bulbs. Or, you can keep the light pods on top to run the turn signals for nostalgia.

The rust in the bedside is common as this is where the floor braces were welded to the bedsides. Dirt would get trapped in there and moisture would destroy that area over time.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
I had to go back up to look at the back window after your question Aud10mahn. I think it is one of those infamous stick on plastic frost fighters ??
Greg M-47

Old 02-11-2012, 09:30 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the site, glad to have you onboard. Boy you arnt fooling around, your goin at it full boar. Thirty days?, it takes me longer than that to figure out what I need to do next. LOL. Like your seat. Sounds like you definitly know what doing, so Im going to enjoy watching your progress. Theres a lot of experienced people on here to answer any questions you have, so Ill see you around the site.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome
Sounds like you have lot's of drive and ambition,but don't rush too much cause the build is half the fun.

Allan

Old 02-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Thanks for the well wishes and welcomes guys, the reason behind the big rush is mostly that the girlfriend thinks its just going to be a pile on the driveway for 6 months. I'll show her....famous last words right. That and I've got a panhead in boxes I need to start working on as well...
Im knocking those fender lights off ASAP, found some GM inserts that should fit right in there with some dual elements.
As for my back window I don't know. It's an rectangle with big rounded corners, left over adhesive from something. The drivers sides window has the same thing too. Any insight as to what it was would be great.
truth be told I have never had any old piece of iron like this, so there will be some questions for sure, darn thing is near triple my age.
I'll ask again as its my biggest concern and it probably got lost in that novel I started with, has anyone done anything to get good heat in the cab of these things? I'm worried about the windows being iced up solid all the time.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Krhitchings
New User
got a step ahead in the rear end issue today, purchased this fine example of an automobile

1966 F250 camper special. Interior is in good shape, frames alright, trans seems nice and tight, engine is almost complete and turns over nicely. Anybody wants any of it let me know.

then i pulled this axle and diff out of it

I count 41 crown teeth and 10 pinion teeth, i'd say ive got a dana 60 with a 4:10 no? Looks in good shape aside from the tar for oil its got in it.

Lucked out, even the brakes are in good shape.

Hopefully tommorrow Ill get the axle out of my 49.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Forgot to ask, has anyone done this axle swap? Anyone know a good size of rubber to run on the 16 inch rims?

Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
The left overs on the side glass and the back glass are what is left of two plastic frost fighters. You would stick them to the inside glass and they would give you a clear view. I've got two electic examples of these that are held on the window with suction cups.
There are several types of heaters that were installed in these trucks. The " Magic air " is available from some one on this site who restores them to better than new. My truck has the three door special the seems to be common on Canadian trucks. Hope this answers your glass question and points you to your heater solution.
Gre m-47

Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Krhitchings
New User
Got my dash cut open and a new insert welded in, hopefully you guys dont try chase me out of here for doing this...

Also pulled the axle, getting ready to jam the dana 60 out of my 66 in tommorrow.

And heres the heater I got with the truck, looks in good shape pulled it all apart, but found that for the price of a motor I can just buy a generic heater set up that will actually take up less space, so im going with that option and fabbing my own defrost duct setup

Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Welcome! Looks like you're off to a good start around here with all of those pics. You'll be a hero to many of us if you prove your girlfriend wrong on the six month deadline.

Sounds like you're sticking with the flatty. Any plans to hop it up as the old rodders say? I too like the seat. Looks very good in red/black... kinda old school which I like. What's your vision for how this truck will look?

I like what you've shown so far. I'll be following your build. Good luck!

Rob

Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Man you are moving fast! Keep it up, very impressive. We love the pictures.

Quick Reply: New guy with F68