Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Posting Guru

Karl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to behold
break in period before towing?

Hey guys, don't have my truck yet so I can't check the manual. Got a 6.7 coming the end of the month. Actually scheduled to be built a week from today. Anyways, we traded our 250 V10 for it as we also have a heavy new 5ver on order coming around April 1st. So, what is the recommended break in period before towing anything heavy? I'm not super worried about it as I am in MA and the new trailer will need to be towed home from MD. The ride down there empty will probably suffice, but wanted to know what the official word was on break in. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Elder User

jack_pine is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe it states 500 miles. Some have taken different approaches though. Just by the nature of my life, I will not be towing until spring and should have a couple of k by then................

2012 SD 6.7 SRW LB 4*4 Current
2004 SD 6.0 SRW LB 4*4 Traded
2001 SD 7.3 DRW LB 4*4 Traded
Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Senior User

RobFlag is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep, 500 miles is recommended before any towing. Hit that last night so looking forward to the first tow today!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Posting Guru

Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.
My truck is a work truck and tows something almost daily.
When I took delivery one evening, I knew I had to tow my Mini-Excavator to job the next morning. So I took the truck for a 100 mile spin around the city that evening. Needed to get to know the truck anyway.

When I hooked up the next morning ( trailer and equipment was around 10,000lbs) I made sure to really baby the truck all day. Easy starts and stops. There is so much power in these trucks, that it didn't really feel like it was working any way. I continued to baby any loads I hooked up to for the 1st 1000 miles. By then I decided the truck was settled in and stopped worrying about it.

I would try to get the 500 miles in before towing. But I think there are worse things a person can do with a new truck than gently towing a trailer home. In fact I've seen too many test drives of new trucks at dealers where the test drivers are flooring the throttle and testing the acceleration on trucks with 10 miles on the odo.

The point is, I would avoid full throttle acceleration, seriously hard braking, Seriously loading up the torque by lugging the engine with full turbo boost more than an easy tow. I wouldn't hook up a 15,000 lb trailer and tow up an ten mile 8% grade, but a little freeway mileage on level ground, I just don't see as a problem.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Postmaster

Hdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputation
The big thing they don't want is being on highway at a steady cruise. If your close to highway,vary speeds up and down, take every off ramp. And then get right back on. That is loading it plenty. As painted horse said in town with give you alot of load and rpm changes. Either will work. I personally don't like the idle time in city.
Windows tinted. Spray in bedliner. Bakflip hd. cover.Edge Insite CTS.Steelcraft bullbar.red/Crome Superduty letters. Ami billet locking fuel door.B/W turnover goosneck, Companion 5th wheel.And craploads of led lighting.
2011 F350 6.7 CC SRW LB.Oxford White. Ford Buy back.
2009 F350 6.4 CC SRW LB Oxford white. Trade in.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Posting Guru

Karl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to beholdKarl4Cat is a splendid one to behold
Thanks guys. Makes sense. I will have more than 500 miles on it before taking the RV home. Should have it for a few weeks before the RV comes in. Then it's an almost 400 mile trip to pick it up. Can't wait to see how it does. Dry weight of the 5ver is 11950 so it should be a fine test on the way home. Can't wait!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Posting Guru

Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.
The thing I notice when pulling 5vers and other high profile trailers is the hotter EGT temps. I can roll down the highway at 70 mph with a low profile 10,000 trailer and see 600° temps. Hook up to a wind sail of 5ver and my EGT jumps to 800+°. If you are watching you will see your turbo boost is also running 5-10 psi higher. So even though you are driving the same speed with the same weight, The extra wind resistance of the high profile trailer causes the engine to work a lot harder. And I think that is what Ford is cautioning against during the initial 500 miles.

Same thing with pulling steep grades or fast acceleration.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Elder User

lexustbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lexustbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Book says 500 miles. I say use the thing like you would a new chainsaw, start it then cut some wood!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Elder User

Dim Sum has a great reputation on FTE.Dim Sum has a great reputation on FTE.Dim Sum has a great reputation on FTE.Dim Sum has a great reputation on FTE.Dim Sum has a great reputation on FTE.
I always thought the 500 miles was more for the brakes than the engine. I was under the impression that these engines are ready to go out of the box?

500 miles is a good rule of thumb. I took it easy on mine for the first 1,000, but if I had to tow with it at 10 miles, I would have.
2014 F-250 SB CC Platinum 6.7 4x4: FX4, sunroof, Ruby Red Metallic, REV Tonneau cover, bedrug, under steps LED lights, LED interior lights, Husky Floor Mats and mud flaps, Rancho 9000XL shocks, Bilstien 5100 steering damper, bed mat bed liner, cab lights
2012 VW Golf TDI 6MT 4Dr Tech
Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Junior User

milsuper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do any one of you guys here on this thread recommend OP to change out his fluids and/or oil after his initial towing? If so, at about what miles on the odometer?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Postmaster

ruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant futureruschejj has a brilliant future
Joel Rusche Joel Rusche Joel Rusche
Hey Karl, you might want to get the pin weight of your new camper. A 12,000 pound rig may make your rear end squat a lot so be prepared. If you can you might want to add a spring or air bags.
2015 F350 CC KR SRW LB 4x4, 3.55ELD, ordered 9/4/14, home 10/24/14. Factory 5th wheel set up, VIAIR #10009 kit, train horns, ride-rite air bags, CB, Strobe lights, BedRug, BakFlipG2, TransferFlow in-bed 50gal tank, 2 Kicker 10" subs, Polk 1" tweeters, tinted front windows, Tuxedo Black Monotone option
Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Let me know when you pass thru where I am so I can wave!

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 AM
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Jakebrake has a good reputation on FTE.Jakebrake has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milsuper View Post
Do any one of you guys here on this thread recommend OP to change out his fluids and/or oil after his initial towing? If so, at about what miles on the odometer?
It has always been a practice of mine to put some hours (miles) on my vehicles and then perform an early engine oil change. The internal finish of newer engines is much better than back in the days of old, and because of the materials used they are supposed to break in quickly. I'm usually too anxious to let a new vehicle get much beyond 300 miles before I am changing the oil and filter. I like the idea of getting combustion by-products (rings seating) and fine wear materials out of the engine before putting it into heavy service like towing. I do the same with ATF, axles, and transfer case...I usually let them go longer...several thousand miles...before I change them. I don't have anything (data) to support this habit, just has always been my habit...obsessive compulsive disorder if you will...LOL.
To the OP: throughout your break-in period be sure to vary the throttle (load) and speed...and to take it on drives long enough to get the engine up to operating temperature...I would avoid cruising down the highway on cruise control at a steady speed for long periods, and long periods of engine idle. Many diesel mechanics in the past have told me that the best way to break one of these newer engines in is to hook up a light trailer and take it for a drive on a highway (avoid the freeway) with some small hills...thus varying the load and throttle, along with the speed. You might want to consider some kind of monitor for engine and trans vitals...like an Edge Evolution or equivalent...always good to monitor temps when towing. Good luck with your new truck!
Ken-2006 F350 PSD CC/SB FX4 Lariat w/Torqueshift, Readylift SST 2.5" Leveling Kit, Toyo 285/75-18 AT's, Edge Evolution, MagHyTec Diff & Tranny covers, Dieselsite Coolant & Tranny Filters, Rancho RS 9000XL Shocks, FS2500 Oil Bypass Filter, Magnaflow SS Exhaust, Magnefine PS Filter, BulletProof Diesel EGR Cooler, Blue Spring upgrade, FICM by Ed @ FICMRepair.com
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Posting Guru

Thank again guys. All good info. I have to say, if I had to tow right away, I wouldn't be super nervous about it but knowing that I will have the 500 on it is even better. Pin will be around 3k. I was going to swap my bags over from my existing truck as I have had 3500 on it quite a bit over the last three years, but they won't fit the new one. I am going to see how much it sags on the trip home and if I don't like it, I'll order new ones. I should have some drag increase going from the TT to the 5th, but I'm thinking the nose design of this one will help a bit. Keeps me from needing a slider too. Check it out if anyone's interested. < Heartland Toy Haulers | Heartland RVs There's a pic of the trailer's front at the bottom of the page on the right. Anyways, again, all good info and thoughts people. New truck in 3 weeks. New trailer in 5. Scott, will be rolling heavy through your neighborhood in soon after!
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM