1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49' mercury m68 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Jolly Roger
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Jolly Roger,
So how did you end up picking the one you did from that lineup?
Were they all priced about the same? That would seem to be a hard chocice to make.

Ben in Austin
i went there to look at the 49 m47 but after looking at the m68 i just liked the truck alot more! also i had never actually seen an m68 before. kinda nice to have something a little different!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
You might stir up some confusion with that "Nickname" as there is already a Jolly Roger Joe on here.

Ben in Texas
1950 F1
Well, I was going to mention it, but now I won't have to.

I'd say since Jolly Roger is in Canada and has a Merc, while I'm in SoCal and have a Ford, maybe it won't get too confusing.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Jolly Roger!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Nice picture of your interior . You have all the siver/grey ***** for the lights, throttle, and choke. I was missing the throttle cable and had to search for a year to find one. The only other one would be on the ashtray. I think I noticed a cigarette burn on your radio speaker cover ? Mine has a burn in it. As an ex smoker I just cleaned it and kept it .
Good luck with your M-68.
Greg M-47

Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Jolly Roger
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Well, I was going to mention it, but now I won't have to.

I'd say since Jolly Roger is in Canada and has a Merc, while I'm in SoCal and have a Ford, maybe it won't get too confusing.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Jolly Roger!
ya sorry joe!!! lol!!! if i can figure out how to change it i will. probably is a bit confusing!!!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Jolly Roger
Welcome ,You don't see too many M68 designations on here
Parts are pretty easy to find try NAPA (mature guys who don't mind take a little time are best) Dennis Carpenter auto parts , Mac's Antique auto parts , both mail order from the states (brokerage is kinda costly)The Old Car Centre in Langley is also a very good supplier check them all out .My daughter and I are working on an M68 right know
for her.
Allan

Old 02-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Another good source for you guys in western Canada is George Moir Antique Auto Parts in Stoney Plain Alberta if he is still up and running. Had no website. Phone: (780 ) 963-7334 or 963-6187. I haven't used them in a year or Two ? Might be helpfull ?
Greg M-47

Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the club Jolley Roger
You have found an extremely good looking truck, it looks to be in great shape body wise. The 49 M47 also looks like a great project for someone too.
Another thing that amazes me is the amount of snow down there. I'm about a hundred miles north and we never got that much snow here this winter. I assume it must be up in the hills some where. OK, back on track here.
I was out in Cherryville at Cherry Wreckers last summer buying wheels for my C-500 and there is a 49 or 50 there. Not in good shape at all but all running gear was there. The flat head 8 was there but not in the truck. I don't know if it would have anything of use to you or not, don't know what model it was. Cherryville is east of Vernon about 40 miles or so. Here are a couple of pics.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Jolly Roger
Junior User
i had some time on my hands this morning so i decided to rip into the truck.

started with this

and finished here

not bad for a couple hours work! pulled the front and rear cab glass, removed the hood, gutted the interior, removed the cowl vent, heater and gas tank. pulled all the old headliner off and did a little interior vacuum. we'll see if i can keep er rollin tomorrow!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Jolly Roger
Junior User
i'm sure most of you have gone through this but pulling the cowl vent out for the first time is a pain in the a$$!!!! search it here first, there's a couple good threads. i still had an issue removing the pivot bolt, it just kept spinnin. it was driving me nut until i used some vise grips and pinched it in place. i did it like this. spun right out!

i pulled the glass on the rear of the cab and there was no rust at all around the window but the front windshield was another story. top wasn't to bad but the bottom is pretty rusty. most of it seems pretty solid but i'm just worried about when i do a major restore on this truck and i sand blast it what's going to happen! hopefully there's enough there!!!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Jolly Roger
Junior User
thanks old ugly!!! i do need a few parts so any leads are helpful and very much appreciated!!!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:19 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
thanks stu, but my dad is an old hot rodder and i know all about the ticking timebomb known as "the widow maker". lol!!! it's very high on the priority list to find a solution for this because i would really like to keep the entire drive train stock. if not i will be looking for a d60 to pop in there. i do need to get this truck safety inspected so my goals right now are not on a total restore but a running truck that i can safely drive and pass all requirements for inspection. i want to enjoy this truck for a bit before it becomes a MAJOR project. it's still going to take some time and work to get this truck rollin but that's ok!
Hi again.
To my knowledge you do not need to have have a safety inspection as long as the vehicle was registered in B.C. before you bought it. I have checked this a number of times as I found it hard to believe. It has been a couple years since I last checked on this so it possibly may have changed. The next time I'm around an insurance office I will have to check again. I found it hard to believe that a 50 year old vehicle doesn't need a safety check but a 1 yr. old vehicle from Alberta does but that's I.C.B.C. As I said before I have asked about this numerous times. Of coarse if want to have it done for your own piece of mind --great.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Man oh man, you've been busy. I know I can't keep up to you.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:44 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Roger, if you find the left side windshield opening is rotted badly enough to need a patch piece, I have a good donor section. Let me know.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:07 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the asylum, JR. Nice and solid truck you have purchased.

I have a driver quality steering wheel, front bumper and a FORD F2-F3 tailgate for your truck. However, you may be able to find parts at George's place. He's a lot closer to you than me.

If I could ever find a 48-50 MERCURY radio delete plate in good condition, I have a person ready to make resin copies.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Ilya, I'll send you an email. Might be able to help you out.
Greg M-47

Quick Reply: 49' mercury m68 build