Sponsored by:

300 inline 6 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 62RatRod
How about converting a gas engine into the texaco engine? It's pretty much what all of these ecoboost engines are, just a direct injected, spark ignition engine. I have a 84 nissan datsun pickup that has a 4 cylinder gas motor with two spark plugs per cylinder. I think it would be a perfect candidate I just need to research where to find an injection pump and injectors that would work.

I also have a 4 cylinder diesel datsun that I plan to run on propane and just have it diesel ignition. Maybe I'll have enough time and money some day to experiment with both of these ideas and see which one does better.

Direct injection is only good for around 10-15% better fuel mileage, with an engine designed for direct injection. Considering you're engine wasn't designed for direct injection, I think even if you got it to run, mileage would never hit above the original design.

As far as the propane diesel, it's been done quite a bit, to varying degree's, all over the world. I'm sure you could do it, and depending on the price of diesel, might even be cost effective. I think for most people it just isn't worth it to carry extra tanks for minimal gains.
Why not do a WVO setup?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 AM
italianmoto02
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone remember when for a short period of time between the 03 7.3 and the 04 6.0 there was a 6cyl inline cat in the f350,450,550's it was for six months. i was told they stopped production of this engine due to destruction of the auto trans and rear ends. but no issues in the manual trans. kinda like the same problem dodge had with their trans behind the 5.9 cummins

Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by italianmoto02
does anyone remember when for a short period of time between the 03 7.3 and the 04 6.0 there was a 6cyl inline cat in the f350,450,550's it was for six months. i was told they stopped production of this engine due to destruction of the auto trans and rear ends. but no issues in the manual trans. kinda like the same problem dodge had with their trans behind the 5.9 cummins

never happened.
this is one of those urban legends just like ford bought cummings and is going to put the 5.9 in the superduty pickups next year.
people have been saying this for close to 30 years, and it still has not happened.

what you are referring to are the 3116 and the 3216 cat diesels used in the F-650 and F-750 trucks.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:56 PM
italianmoto02
Freshman User
Ohh would be nice though if they did

Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
why? the 5.9 cummins was a marginal engine at best.
the 7.3 naturally aspirated engine had more horsepower and torque than the 5.9 cummins turbo did, and got better fuel mileage too.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM
italianmoto02
Freshman User
Just goes to show that the older engines were way better and simplicity goes a long way. These new engines all manufactures just suck because of the emission crack

Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
yup. the old engines were simple and efficient. hell, a 60 falcon got 30+ mpg.
my 65 with a 289 and 4 barrel carb gets 25 mpg.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM
italianmoto02
Freshman User
Here in Georgia I met a few good old boys that took there older ford f150 and dodge 1500 and rangers and put 12valve cummins and the 4bt cummins in there and love them

Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i will stick with my 7.3 NA V8's more power, and better fuel mileage.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:48 PM
DiRT-Powered
New User
Speaking as an automotive engineering and design student, I hear a lot of "tastes great vs less filling" arguments about engines, every day.

I firmly stand behind the argument that the I6 is superior to the V8. I take this stance because an inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance.

The engine is in primary couple balance because the front and rear set of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs. So piston #1 mirrors #6, #2 mirrors #5, and #3 mirrors #4, eliminating the polar rocking.

Secondary imbalance is avoided because the crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that the secondary forces that are caused by differences from purely sinusoidal motion are summed to zero.

A V8 on the other hand must use heavy, power sapping, counterweights or complexe balancing shafts to counter these forces. In the case of a crossplane crank it also suffers from an unbalanced exhaust impulse that must be further compensated for in high performance engines.

Some will argue that its a myth that an inline 6 will always have more torque than a V8 of equal displacement and horsepower. However, a V8 and an I6 can not share the same bore and stroke and be of equal displacement. And if they are of equal HP, than the V8 has already lost the torque battle.

If the two engines are of equal displacement and equal HP then I6 will always produce more torque, because the HP is a function of torque.

HP = torque x rpms / 5252

For the two engine to be of equal displacement the I6 will always have a larger bore and longer stroke than the V8. This puts the V8 at a disadvantage because with a larger bore, more force of pressure can act on the piston face, and with a longer stroke more lever force can be applied to the crank shaft.

The longer stroke also means that the I6 must produce its HP at a lower RPM. Since HP is a function of torque, we know that the I6 must have significantly higher torque torque value because the rpm value is lower.

However, in practical application, there are a number of factors that can sway the end results. Ultimately it comes down to tuning. Both the Ford and Dodge Diesels have the same displacement, but due to tuning they have different HP and torque ratings.

If both engines were tuned identically, the cummins will produce more torque.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by DiRT-Powered
Speaking as an automotive engineering and design student, I hear a lot of "tastes great vs less filling" arguments about engines, every day.

I firmly stand behind the argument that the I6 is superior to the V8. I take this stance because an inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance.

The engine is in primary couple balance because the front and rear set of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs. So piston #1 mirrors #6, #2 mirrors #5, and #3 mirrors #4, eliminating the polar rocking.

Secondary imbalance is avoided because the crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that the secondary forces that are caused by differences from purely sinusoidal motion are summed to zero.

A V8 on the other hand must use heavy, power sapping, counterweights or complexe balancing shafts to counter these forces. In the case of a crossplane crank it also suffers from an unbalanced exhaust impulse that must be further compensated for in high performance engines.

Some will argue that its a myth that an inline 6 will always have more torque than a V8 of equal displacement and horsepower. However, a V8 and an I6 can not share the same bore and stroke and be of equal displacement. And if they are of equal HP, than the V8 has already lost the torque battle.

If the two engines are of equal displacement and equal HP then I6 will always produce more torque, because the HP is a function of torque.

HP = torque x rpms / 5252

For the two engine to be of equal displacement the I6 will always have a larger bore and longer stroke than the V8. This puts the V8 at a disadvantage because with a larger bore, more force of pressure can act on the piston face, and with a longer stroke more lever force can be applied to the crank shaft.

The longer stroke also means that the I6 must produce its HP at a lower RPM. Since HP is a function of torque, we know that the I6 must have significantly higher torque torque value because the rpm value is lower.

However, in practical application, there are a number of factors that can sway the end results. Ultimately it comes down to tuning. Both the Ford and Dodge Diesels have the same displacement, but due to tuning they have different HP and torque ratings.

If both engines were tuned identically, the cummins will produce more torque.
how can you "tune" a mechanical engine?
i like the way everyone always makes false claims about the first 5.9 engines. they are not "better and more power" than a 7.3 NA engine.

1988 navastar 7.3 liter na diesel: 190 hp and 388 ftlbs torque
1989 5.9 cummins turbo diesel.: 160 hp and 400 ftlbs torque.

take the turbo off that cummins pig of an engine and it becomes a gutless pig.