Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an X, and....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
grishw1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heck I just wish I had the skill set and tools to accomplish half of what you did do your X! Now if you need a pacemaker I'm your man!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Atom, i noticed an immediate difference in steering with the added load bearing ability of the v codes. The sway bar in the rear was the other big factor in solving the problem for me. I still have 1-1 1/2" of play in the steering wheel, but it is no longer a factor since the truck isn't drifting side to side anymore. When i swapped out the tired OEM springs (200k), i laid them next to the v codes....huge difference in arc.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Grish, where are you in Texas? The Texas chapter seems to have a great support network of willing hands and minds to help you get things done on your truck. I'm no 6.0 mech, but my brother is very good with them.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
atom631
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Atom, i noticed an immediate difference in steering with the added load bearing ability of the v codes. The sway bar in the rear was the other big factor in solving the problem for me. I still have 1-1 1/2" of play in the steering wheel, but it is no longer a factor since the truck isn't drifting side to side anymore. When i swapped out the tired OEM springs (200k), i laid them next to the v codes....huge difference in arc.
thats the thing right now though, my springs are brand new OEM front springs (with an add-a-leaf). i would hate to drop a few hundred on new springs and that not be the issue. however, if its the actually stiffness of the springs that make the difference, then that is another story.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Yeah, the front end is very heavy on these things. Some of these spring swap threads have the actual ratings on the springs. It is a big difference. There's springs to be had out there for $100 or less. Keep an eye out and ck your junk yards for f250 wrecks. I found mine on CL from a guy who lifted his f250 right after buying it.

Also, before spring swap, the front end was 2.5" lower than rear. I think that was a factor. Front end is now .75" lower than rear.

Last edited by Nicmike; 02-22-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
grishw1
Senior User
Grish, where are you in Texas? The Texas chapter seems to have a great support network of willing hands and minds to help you get things done on your truck. I'm no 6.0 mech, but my brother is very good with them.
I'm in Austin. Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

As you can see, I'm just down the road in bastrop. Get some more posts under your belt and you can use the private message (PM) function on this site. Also, get with plumber01 and join Texas chapter.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by atom631
3.) swap out new OEM springs for V codes. I would think that with new springs, this wouldnt be a problem. i could understand worn out springs and then replace them with v-codes. maybe my logic is wrong and it doesnt matter they are new, its the spring rate of the v-codes that make a difference?
thats the thing right now though, my springs are brand new OEM front springs (with an add-a-leaf).
Yeah, that's the thing, it doesn't matter if the springs are brand new or not, OEM Excursion springs are a POS. Plus, I don't see anything about the rear suspension (springs) being addressed.

The OEM rear springs on a 4x4 Excursion are weak and will easily allow axle wrap. That's why hard braking, hard acceleration, or driving over uneven surfaces can make you feel the wander.

That's also why the RAS helps with the wander, it reduces axle wrap.

The fronts are weak and will deflect from side loading of the spring, which can be caused by the rear axle wrap among other things. That's why lane changes can make a driver really feel the wander. The side loading from the lane change will cause the fronts to react and give that extra shimmy after you complete the lane change, wiggling the rear of the Ex.

Stewart

Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 AM
grishw1
Senior User
As you can see, I'm just down the road in bastrop. Get some more posts under your belt and you can use the private message (PM) function on this site. Also, get with plumber01 and join Texas chapter.
Absolutely!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Sure would be nice if vehicles came stock with 4 links and adjustable on the fly air suspension.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 AM
atom631
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Yeah, that's the thing, it doesn't matter if the springs are brand new or not, OEM Excursion springs are a POS. Plus, I don't see anything about the rear suspension (springs) being addressed.

The OEM rear springs on a 4x4 Excursion are weak and will easily allow axle wrap. That's why hard braking, hard acceleration, or driving over uneven surfaces can make you feel the wander.

That's also why the RAS helps with the wander, it reduces axle wrap.

The fronts are weak and will deflect from side loading of the spring, which can be caused by the rear axle wrap among other things. That's why lane changes can make a driver really feel the wander. The side loading from the lane change will cause the fronts to react and give that extra shimmy after you complete the lane change, wiggling the rear of the Ex.

Stewart
thanks for the input. So no matter what, I should ditch the front springs and go with V codes.

concerning the rear, i dont feel the wander under hard braking/acceleration. It only seems to be when driving on a highway over 50mph. Im wondering, would air bags make a difference? I was planning on putting them in anyway, would be nice if i could just do that without changing out the rears. However, Im assuming they wont do anything to help with axle wrap.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Atom, I did not change my rear springs (yet). However, I have eliminated my steering wander to my satisfaction with the V codes and anti-sway bar in the back. Now, my X seemingly was never taken off-road judging from the underside of the truck. Also, judging from the condition of the interior of the hitch, it was never used to tow much of anything. SOOOOOO, I would surmise that my rear springs have not been wore down and tired out like the front springs were bearing the weight of the 7.3 over the last 11 years. I might have occasion drive someone else X and find I still have improvements to make to mine, but that hasn't happened yet That said, if I find a set of affordable rear springs I will certainly grab them up.

Just my .02 on my specific situation. Yours may be different.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM
atom631
Freshman User
Atom, I did not change my rear springs (yet). However, I have eliminated my steering wander to my satisfaction with the V codes and anti-sway bar in the back. Now, my X seemingly was never taken off-road judging from the underside of the truck. Also, judging from the condition of the interior of the hitch, it was never used to tow much of anything. SOOOOOO, I would surmise that my rear springs have not been wore down and tired out like the front springs were bearing the weight of the 7.3 over the last 11 years. I might have occasion drive someone else X and find I still have improvements to make to mine, but that hasn't happened yet That said, if I find a set of affordable rear springs I will certainly grab them up.

Just my .02 on my specific situation. Yours may be different.
Cool. I think Im going to start with the fronts too. If its still happening, move on to the rears. Im probably going to throw a new set of 9000xl shocks on there while I am it.

how does the truck sit now with the vcodes up front and stock rears? ill be towing about 6000lbs, so i dont want to be nose up.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
thanks for the input. So no matter what, I should ditch the front springs and go with V codes.
Well, that's subjective. While the front springs are garbage, you'll have some Ex owners happy with the OEM suspension, even though it's crap. But in my opinion, yeah, if you're feeling "The Wander" then I'd suggest you fix the problem by eliminating the problem by swapping the springs.

concerning the rear, i dont feel the wander under hard braking/acceleration.
I'm not saying you will. I'm saying the problem is a combination of front and rear springs, and then explaining why.

Im wondering, would air bags make a difference?
Yes, they would. How much? That will differ from rig to rig because you aren't fixing the problem (the springs) you're only addressing it by trying to compensate for it.

I was planning on putting them in anyway, would be nice if i could just do that without changing out the rears. However, Im assuming they wont do anything to help with axle wrap.
My mindset is to make things correct, then add to it and beef things up as needed. But that's me.

If you prefer to add air bags and see how it is after installing them, I'd go that route. You might be 100% happy with only airbags, and if you were already planning on adding them, bolt 'em on and go from there.

Stewart

Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
atom631
Freshman User
Stewart...thanks again.

I have a hook with a local Ford dealer where I live and I am able to get the V Codes for 130/each. So I am going to order those up right away. Do these springs come with bushings or do they have to be ordered as well?

I have been searching around for part numbers on the correct u-bolts, u-bolt nuts and the bolts/nuts for the spring-eyes at the frame and shackle and Im coming up either empty handed or with different part numbers depending on the thread.

So far I have the following:

V-Codes - 2C3Z-5310-HA
U-Bolts - F81Z-5705-ZA
EDIT: U bolt nuts - N805480-S426 (I just found the nuts)
Spring-Eye bolts - ??
Spring-Eye nut - ??

Also, when I order my replacement shocks, I should be ordering the fronts spec'd for an F250 (00-04) correct??

If I eventually do B Codes i the rear, will the stock length excursion rear shocks work?

These are what shock I think I should be ordering:

Rancho RS9000XL - Front: RS999267, Rear: RS999266

Quick Reply: Bought an X, and....