1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

vintage car laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
fordguy2236
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vintage car laws

I might be getting a 1953 f100 and from what i have read they did not have seat belts or turn signals. Does anyone know the laws on this do i need to add them or since it came stock without them am i ok?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on the state you live in. Which is???????????

Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
jdshoops
Freshman User
i believe in the state of michigan they are grandfathered in, but it is always nice to have them!!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 PM
fordguy2236
Senior User
I live in Iowa

Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Typically you are exempt under most state's laws regarding seat belts. As for turn signals, it all depends on the state. Some states only required one turn signal back then, some none.

Couple of things to keep in mind......

With today's traffic, why would anyone not want to make things a bit safer? Don't get me wrong, I like to stay more towards a stocker appearance but when I can keep the guy (or gal) behind me from ramming into me, I am all for it. Not to mention, try arguing with the 23 year old police officer that you didn't need a turn signal "back then". I spent too many hours in court arguing why my old VW's didn't need a this or that... I may have been right but my time is precious. Same thing with the seat belts. Ever had a door fly open on you while driving? These old cabs flex and doors can open up. Seen it happen. Not as big of a deal when you are wearing a belt. Not to mention too that the stock steering columns DO NOT collapse like the modern ones do. Try impaling your chest on that 18" bad boy. I guess if you were only looking for a show truck maybe I wouldn't worry but since the parts and pieces are easily available I would consider it. One other thing..... I came across this situation a few months back. While you may be exempt from seat belts in your truck, IF you have a child that requires a car seat or booster riding with you, most states WILL require that child seat to be properly secured in the truck. The law may exempt seat belts but most laws say you must have the car seat secured.... duct tape doesn't qualify.

Just my opinion... your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I called the California Highway Patrol when I needed that question answered, and an old timer looked up my year. He found in Ca. if it did not come with them, they are not mandatory. At the time I could not aford them, but bought the parts over time, and I just finished the seat belts, and turn signals this week, (for safty reasons). You mite call your state highway troopers to find out if they are mandatory in your state.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I pondered the seatbelt question too. In California, seatbelts weren't required until 1973, I think. I really didn't want to drill extra holes in the floor of my all original Airflow, but I wanted my son to be able to ride with me in the car and he needs a car seat. Out came the drill and seatbelts.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 PM
fordguy2236
Senior User
thank you for all the help. I kinda figured it was a state by state law and i figured they were most likely not required but i will probably be putting them on so i dont have to deal with any cops.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I went and checked on HVA website and for Iowa

Seat Belt Law is
321.445 Safety belts and safety harnesses -- use required.

1. Except for motorcycles or motorized bicycles, 1966 model year or newer motor vehicles subject to registration in Iowa shall be equipped with safety belts and safety harnesses which conform with federal motor vehicle safety standard numbers 209 and 210 as published in 49 C.F.R. § 571.209--571.210 and with prior federal motor vehicle safety standards for seat belt assemblies and seat belt assembly anchorages applicable for the motor vehicle's model year.

As Per Californa Seatbelts are required for vehicles per federal requirement.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by fordguy2236
but i will probably be putting them on so i dont have to deal with any cops.
Another reason might be so you don't have to bounce your head off the windshield!

Saves windshields that way.....

Old 02-03-2012, 03:44 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Comming from the land of Taxachussets, when this came into effect I
was a sgt. on this police dept. and we researched this subject and came
up with 1967. So prior '67 is exempt. And as far as I know, when FoMoCo
went on their big safety campaign in 1956 seatbelts were offered cause I
have a 56 Big Job with factory seat belts. I think Nash was the first
in 49 or 1950. seat belts air bags and all that junk may save a life but
bottom line is put that blasted cell phone away and let off the gas pedal.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:55 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didn't have 'em new in illinois , they aren't required , but why doesn't it have turn signals ?? my 53 does , and the 49 f-4 did , and my 52 customline does ............ i have also been through the seat belt thing with a young officer who referred to my truck as a piece of sh1- when i was pulled over ...... i won the argument and her superior took care of the attitude towards me and the 53 . he's also the one that informed her that in the day they didn't come with such things , as she wasn't listening to me !

Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be kind to you area First Responders and install and use seat belts - Then they don't have to scrape you off the windshield

Old 02-03-2012, 07:57 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, obviously my 1950 F 5 didn't come new with turn signals or seat belts. Heck, this truck didn't even come with a heater. I did for safety's sake install turn signals when I redid it. As for the seat belts, I want to do that some day, but for the time being with my running top speed at about 40 and the fact that she sits a bit higher than most cars on the road I'm not so nervous. (even though those are not good excuses) On the other hand, my big belly already rubs the steering wheel with the seat all the way back, so i can't be slammed into the wheel...I'm already there

Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by harleymsn
On the other hand, my big belly already rubs the steering wheel with the seat all the way back, so i can't be slammed into the wheel...I'm already there
I moved the seat twice and my big gut still hits the steering wheel! lol

@ Bigjob, you are correct sir! So tired of people driving with their head up their *** and cell phones in their ears.

If nothing else, you can install a lap belt for about $15 in parts and pieces. Make sure though you use at least GRADE 8 bolts and I always reinforce my bolt through areas with some steel plate to spread the load area.

Good luck...

Quick Reply: vintage car laws