Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Junior User

nicechad2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do they do this eBay aux input cd6 solder?

I have a radio like this that I want to use in my truck.
Click the image to open in full size.
I want to add a factory looking aux input jack to the front. I have a pretty good knowledge of electronics, and have done quite a few searches looking for the way it is wired, to find nothing. I am pretty sure the 1/8" aux input on the front is just soldered in the line of the outputs from the radio to the amp, but how could I find a wiring diagram of the radio to trace it out? When nothing is plugged in, does the radio play, but plugging in the 1/8 plug from your mp3 player interrupts that input and plays your music. Or does it work on a totally different circuit? Is there any other way to tap inputs inside the deck? It looks like the back has had the antenna plug desoldered on several of these factory radios with aux inputs added, so they have to come apart for the modification. Has anyone bought one of these to reverse-engineer it? What did you find out inside? They retrofit these aux jacks to all kinds of different factory radios, so it must not be too difficult... I am going to take it apart tomorrow and see what I can see. Any advice?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 AM
Senior User

ItsMREMT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
https://www.facebook.com/ItsMrEMT ItsMrEMT hype6477
actually I never seeing a ford radio like that in my life. typically the aux plug is on a seperate harness from the radio harness. it's a PIA to add aux to a non aux ford radio when there are so many other alternatives

kicking the reapers **** one call at a time !!!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Senior User

ItsMREMT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
https://www.facebook.com/ItsMrEMT ItsMrEMT hype6477
google my friend

Diy aux input on a factory radio - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

kicking the reapers **** one call at a time !!!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
New User

Tinker000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not sure about eBay but I did find these...

Adding an auxilary input into a Ford stereo

Or if you have the in dash 6 disc mp3 player you can do this:
MP3 player "input" for car stereo.

And just make a "Silent CD" (a track with no sound on it) the second link has a silent attachment at the bottom of the page.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:36 PM
New User

esm2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
back from the dead

I realize this thread hasn't been touched in years, but I couldn't actually find a 100% confirmation that this worked anywhere else on the 'net.

Here goes:

I had this radio in my 2001 7.3l 350:

Yanked it out, removed the "top cover" (two torx screws on back, some clips on side,)

Then removed the cd changer assy, 2 torx screws from top (on head sink), 2 more on the side of the unit.

Carefully disconnect the ribbon cable from the bottom of the CD assembly, lift out.

Flip the CD assy over, then near where you disconnected the ribbon cable, locate the two testpoints labeled LCH and RCH.

Carefully tag on a 3.5mm stereo audio cable to the testpoints. I soldered the braid to the chassis for ground. Also used a zip-tie to secure the cable.

Reassemble.

I ran the cable out the back of the radio through the "circle hole".

Used Audacity to generate a 70 minute silent audio file:
  1. Open Audacity, new stereo 44.1 file.
  2. From "generate", "silence".
  3. Export to WAV

burn to CD (used Maxell "Music" CD's, burning at 4x)

Slapped it back in the truck, works great!!

Happy hacking!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
An update even on an old thread such as this is always welcome I'm sure. I found it interesting mostly because I do a lot of my own electronic repair and refits.

Question is why generate and use a silent WAV file?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:00 PM
New User

esm2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Question is why generate and use a silent WAV file?
So the overall idea with this mod is that you're faking the head unit into taking an aux input.

Playing any CD will make the head unit pipe whatever audio comes from the CD deck to the truck's speakers. We're hijacking that "whatever audio" wire and connecting the aux input to it. Without playing some CD, the head unit doesn't pay attention to that wire from the CD deck.

You could put in any regular ol' music CD and hit play, then plug in an iPod and hit play there, and both would play at the same time. I'm pretty ADHD, but not so ADHD that I think I could listen to two songs AT THE SAME TIME.

Make a CD that instead of music has silence, then the only thing you hear when you start playing your iPod is in fact your iPod.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm2 View Post
. I'm pretty ADHD, but not so ADHD that I think I could listen to two songs AT THE SAME TIME.
Yes I can see how that would be a challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm2 View Post
Make a CD that instead of music has silence, then the only thing you hear when you start playing your iPod is in fact your iPod.
Makes sense----thanks for the clarification!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:23 AM