Sponsored by:

Hit a sink hole, ABS light came ON

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 05:59 AM
John in OkieLand
Fleet Mechanic
Received 530 Likes on 406 Posts
Hit a sink hole, ABS light came ON

yesterday, while negotiating the mine fields of the "roads" in the Navajo Nation, south of Moab, UT and pulling a Kia Amanti on a car trailer.....

We were "enlightened" by the sudden appearance of a sink hole the entire width of the lane we were traveling in..... the Excursion tried to do an Endo, but thank goodness, all new rubber bushings did their job along with the new Stiff Shocks..... she stayed straight and narrow, but what a hell of a ride that was....

the "sink hole" was rectangular, wider than the length of the Excursion.....

I glanced in the side mirror and observed the tires on the car trailer leave the pavement, I could see "daylight" for a few seconds..... damn and I glad the straps held the car attached to the trailer.

after our nerves got settled down, I remarked to my sister " hey, I have an ABS light showing"....
pulled over at the first place that I could, and inspected the vehicles, the straps were a bit loose, snugged them up.... but that ABS light bothered me..... this was around the noon hour as I think back....

Later, about 7pm we are checking into a hotel in Santa Rosa, NM and I happened to glance at the dash, and noted the ABS light is now gone.....

the key has been switched off a few times for fuel, and getting some food on the road.....
I posted briefly on Facebook about the occurrence, and someone said that "it should go away" after a few Key ON/OFF cycles..... took it a long while, did not count the ON/OFF cycles, 2 tanks of diesel, and twice for food at a minimum.... plus on/off at the hotels to load/unload....

anyway, we survived the minefield and the truck returned to normal again....

Old 02-21-2024, 05:47 PM
2002Limited
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When tires lose contact with the road, vehicle speed sensors and ABS sensors get confused. I *inadvertently* went airborne once in an older Suburban (thought the snowdrift was a soft puffy one, but it wasn't) and the ABS light came on and stayed on. Took it to a shop and that's what they told me - not sure if it applies here or not.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:17 PM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My ABS light has been going on and off for couple years now. Ive replaced the sensor now I just ignore it.