1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Finally decided on a powertrain

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
Wilburns custom haulers has one stuffed in a '65 F100, maybe do a search for pics of it, or ask them direct: Custom Haulers | Car Restoration | Wilburns Collision Service
there is also a Mod engines conversions topic here on fte.

Sam

Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks Havi, I'll check them out. They got some neat COEs!

Sam, was the problem around not having the computer to go with it?

I would imagine I would need the engine, trans, exhaust to the tips, o2 sensors, wiring harness, computer, and pretty much anything all of that is attached to.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Stephen67
Thanks Havi, I'll check them out. They got some neat COEs!

Sam, was the problem around not having the computer to go with it?

I would imagine I would need the engine, trans, exhaust to the tips, o2 sensors, wiring harness, computer, and pretty much anything all of that is attached to.
no.. I could get a computer without any trouble.. I was/am not interested in attempting to drag the whole host truck in to support the engine.. and didn't have the host truck anyhow.

Sam

Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Ah, I get yah.

I dunno, for whatever reason adding the electronics doesn't seem any different than using any other EFI donor engine to me. My '56 F600 stopped being one long ago and putting other truck parts under it doesn't seem to bother me if it means it will make a better daily driver. Doesn't seem much different than using a toyota powersteering box or power windows or adding a CD player or candy paint. But that's just how it looks to me. I sort of see the frame as the critical point; if it has the original frame you're driving the original truck that's been modded, if it has a different frame you're driving that truck with a different body on it. I suppose it's mainly just a mind set when you think about it.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Having a host truck makes one wonder, why not just drive that one instead? lol.

I wouldn't try it without one, though. And I mentioned it as a possibility for my '78, as a coworker has an Expedition he's looking to unload. These type swaps can get expensive if the donor isn't real cheap to start with.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:54 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Ah, I get yah.

I dunno, for whatever reason adding the electronics doesn't seem any different than using any other EFI donor engine to me. My '56 F600 stopped being one long ago and putting other truck parts under it doesn't seem to bother me if it means it will make a better daily driver. Doesn't seem much different than using a toyota powersteering box or power windows or adding a CD player or candy paint. But that's just how it looks to me. I sort of see the frame as the critical point; if it has the original frame you're driving the original truck that's been modded, if it has a different frame you're driving that truck with a different body on it. I suppose it's mainly just a mind set when you think about it.
what I though too.. I wish you luck.. I'll be watching for good news..

Sam

Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
A host truck definitively seems the way to go. If nothing else it would be nice to steal the ac and heater and what not to upgrade everything. Sure I could drive the host truck... but where is the fun in that? Plus it's not what I really want out of a truck, my truck needs are rather far from stock from anything.

Sam, I'm a bit confused as to why the 3v was such a problem. I'm looking at some of the work you've done, you've put in LS1s and 4.6s, I'm just not seeing what the 3v has about it that made it such a pain. I'm not seeing the difference. (And ask in case it's a pitfall I'm unaware of)

Old 01-29-2012, 12:10 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work on a small fleet of ford trucks and at work the drivers see around 10-12 mpg on the 3 valve 5.4, mind you that the trucks have some cargo in the bed (F150, F250 and F350) and the drives aren't shy with the gas pedal. The only real issues so far is the stock motorcraft spark plugs are not lasting more then 63K (they average about 55k) and the whole carbon buildup and plugs breaking off.

One way to not have the plugs break is to change them at 50K and sdetweil is correct about the harness, gas pedal and the o2 set-up. Personally I would look into something that's OBD1 (pre '96)

Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

A host truck definitively seems the way to go. If nothing else it would be nice to steal the ac and heater and what not to upgrade everything. Sure I could drive the host truck... but where is the fun in that? Plus it's not what I really want out of a truck, my truck needs are rather far from stock from anything.

Sam, I'm a bit confused as to why the 3v was such a problem. I'm looking at some of the work you've done, you've put in LS1s and 4.6s, I'm just not seeing what the 3v has about it that made it such a pain. I'm not seeing the difference. (And ask in case it's a pitfall I'm unaware of)
someone has to program the computer to turn off security and the rear o2 sensors at minimum. I couldn't find anyone to do that on the 3v. they all sent me to the special computer in the kit.

Sam

Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Why mess with the 2V or 3V? Why not just go with a Navigator 5.4L DOHC engine?

If I was going to go thru all that hassle to do that swap I'd want to go 4V!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
lol yeah, I might go with the 4v too... I think a lot will be effected on what I find. The Navigators are very spendy though and some have the 2v 5.4s in them. And from what I've seen the rpm curve isn't as good for my use (but further research is needed...) Just remember: Daily Driver. If I had a wicked 5.4 4v, it end up in my Mustang, lol.

Originally Posted by sdetweil
someone has to program the computer to turn off security and the rear o2 sensors at minimum. I couldn't find anyone to do that on the 3v. they all sent me to the special computer in the kit.

Sam
Would using the truck's security system help? I had planned on putting one in my truck, if the donor ones has one then why not it. And if you used the stock exhaust, wouldn't all the O2 stuff already be there and just need to be connected?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I never understood using a different wiring harness. Maybe it makes a difference if you only use some parts or something, but I never saw the need over using what the donor had. So maybe I'm missing something.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
lol yeah, I might go with the 4v too... I think a lot will be effected on what I find. The Navigators are very spendy though and some have the 2v 5.4s in them. And from what I've seen the rpm curve isn't as good for my use (but further research is needed...) Just remember: Daily Driver. If I had a wicked 5.4 4v, it end up in my Mustang, lol.

The 5.4L 2V was only in the half of the first year ( 1999 ) Navs. The late 99-2003's were all 5.4L 4V.

And From what I remember the 4V Navs got better mileage then the 3V ones did!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Worth looking in to, they don't seem to have the spark plug problem but they're not cheap looking trucks, is have to get lucky with one lol.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 AM
OK F1
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
5.4 Mod motor

Stephen,

I've got a 5.4 2v in my 2001 Supercrew. I get about 16 mpg avg (50-50 city/hwy). If you go 2v, make sure it is 2003 or newer. The heads in the earlier 2v engines had only four threads for the spark plugs and are notorious for ejecting plugs (happened to me!) The '03 and later were redesigned to have 8 threads. I have no experience with the 3v performance/mpg, but have heard of and seen the problems with the plugs.

As for the ECM reprogram, most fleet vehicles do not have PATS (security) programmed on them, so that is an easy workaround if you can find a surplus fleet van or pickup with a 5.4. PATS is not really a complete vehicle security system in the convential sense. PATS senses a chip in the key and will not let the car run if it does not detect the chip. You would need the steering column with the ignition from the donor to run it.

If you were interested in a 4.6, surplus police vehicles are a dime a dozen. It is not uncommon to find a wrecked CVPI with low miles at auction for cheap. As Sam mentioned, the 4.6 is well supported in the aftermarket thanks largely to the Mustang crowd. BTW a 4.6 will push a 4000# police car 140 mph .

as far as 5.4s go. My SC has 125k miles and is still going strong. I've had no problems other than puking that plug (cost $180 to fix).
I'm told 200-250k miles for these motors is easily attainable if maintained properly.

Good luck, Kreg

Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Would using the truck's security system help? I had planned on putting one in my truck, if the donor ones has one then why not it. And if you used the stock exhaust, wouldn't all the O2 stuff already be there and just need to be connected?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I never understood using a different wiring harness. Maybe it makes a difference if you only use some parts or something, but I never saw the need over using what the donor had. So maybe I'm missing something.
as mentioned I mean PATS, the ignition key security. this drags in the whole column, the communication bus, the body control module and gosh knows what else.. they made it hard on purpose.

Sam

Quick Reply: Finally decided on a powertrain