Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Posting Guru

farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
Really, this much work for an alternator??

My alternator went out on me today. Looks like the regulator went bad, things are smoked on it.

I can't beleive that some idiot would design and a company would actually produce a product so poorly thought out! First off, who puts an alternator (a very vital and important electrical component mind you) down right next to the wheel well; where rain, snow, salt, liquid de-icer, etc, can get to it!!?!?
To continue off that, you can barely get to it to get it disassembled from the mounts since it's below the battery, IC pipe, wiring harnesses. Next to find out that there's no room for it to come out. So I called the local Ford dealer to price a new one and see if there was a trick to getting it out. A new one is $628!!! and that's with me giving them my core!! Then the service guy got into what it takes to get it out, basically disassembling most everything on the left side of the engine. I ended up pulling the battery, battery box, intake box, cut loose all the wiring harnesses from the keepers, and can only move the IC pipe out of the way since they designed that so poorly as well.

I'm just pissed cuz it takes so much work for a silly alternator. Makes me want my '99 7.3L back!!! 3 bolts, pull the wires and belt off it and it comes right off!

Rant over.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Like A Boss!

BigSilly86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hope you put a new one on and not a re manufactured unit... Never had one go out on my 6.4l but on the 7.3 comp truck it went out and they replaced it with a reman and that went out 2 weeks later i told them to put a new one and now 4 years later still running good.
2008 6.4L Lariat Job 1 F-350 4x4 DRW 4:10 Rear Diff.
H&S Mini Maxx, MBRP CAT and DPF delete, Sinister EGR delete kit and S&B air intake.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Senior User

frdfan is starting off with a positive reputation.
So it's almost a cab off for an alternator,,LOL $628 bucks is totally ridiculous. You had the high output one I'm guessing.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Like A Boss!

BigSilly86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdfan View Post
So it's almost a cab off for an alternator,,LOL
Does not surprise me one bit
2008 6.4L Lariat Job 1 F-350 4x4 DRW 4:10 Rear Diff.
H&S Mini Maxx, MBRP CAT and DPF delete, Sinister EGR delete kit and S&B air intake.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
no..not so bad...take the upper shroud off.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Posting Guru

farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
Dealer was telling me to pull the fan shroud and fan, and to do that you hafta move/pull the radiator. Kinda beyond acceptable for "normal" repairs.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior User

jboczar has a good reputation on FTE.jboczar has a good reputation on FTE.
OR you could remove the right hand fender splash shield and remove and install the alternator in about 30 minutes like the Ford Work Shop Manual says.

Disconnect the batteries. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
Remove the air cleaner assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12.
Remove the fender splash shield. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02.
Rotate the accessory drive belt tensioner clockwise and remove the drive belt from the generator pulley.
Remove the nut and position the generator B+ terminal aside.
To install, tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).
Disconnect the generator electrical connector.
Remove the 2 lower bolts to the generator.
To install, tighten to 47 Nm (35 lb-ft).
Remove the upper bolt and the generator.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboczar View Post
OR you could remove the right hand fender splash shield and remove and install the alternator in about 30 minutes like the Ford Work Shop Manual says.
I don't carry a Ford Workshop Manual, that's why I called the dealer. He proceeded to tell me I needed to pull the fan, shroud and radiator, about a 1.5-2 hr job. Thanks for the specs.

I got it out and changed. Bought a used one from a local junkyard for $160, no core, w/6 month warranty. Figured for those dollars I can tear back into the truck again now that I know how.

In the meantime, I'm tearing apart my whole intake assembly and will probably be doing some 'needed' upgrades: EGR delete, new passenger IC pipe, CCV mod. Everything was crap full of oil. Pulled the CAC and when I pulled the bottom boot it drained oil for a little while.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM
FORD USER

Bounds-Electric is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboczar View Post

Disconnect the batteries. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
Remove the air cleaner assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12.
Remove the fender splash shield. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02.
Rotate the accessory drive belt tensioner clockwise and remove the drive belt from the generator pulley.
Remove the nut and position the generator B+ terminal aside.
To install, tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).
Disconnect the generator electrical connector.
Remove the 2 lower bolts to the generator.
Remove the upper bolt and the generator.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Disconnected batteries, Removed right front tire, Pulled right fender splash sheild, removed belt, removed bolts, removed wires, pulled generator out, 2 hours,
ordered new one today same make that came in truck
(200 amp foreign made) I will post part # & make
(P.A.S.C.O. $436.87 no core charge) they are changing pully from old to new, I will put back in tomorrow
1997 F-250 XLT Lariat 4x4 (210,500 miles)
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Senior User

auriferous is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounds-Electric View Post
Disconnected batteries, Removed right front tire, Pulled right fender splash sheild, removed belt, removed bolts, removed wires, pulled generator out, 2 hours,
ordered new one today same make that came in truck
(215 amp foreign made) I will post part # & make
(P.A.S.C.O. $436.87 no core charge) they are changing pully from old to new, I will put back in tomorrow
saw your post when it started and then stumbled on an alt.on e-bay, said it was for a 6.4 and was priced below 200 "buy it now" not a bid .dont remember the amperage? for that kind of $[465] should at least get a kiss!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM
FORD USER

Replaced with new, 2 hours, hardest part was getting belt back on!
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM
FORD USER

Cost new replacement, not rebuilt came with new pully
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 PM
New User

dirtmotor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey just smoked alt on my 08 f350 6.4 been dreading changing it all day ! Thanks a ton for the info , sounds like it wont be as bad as I thought , Thanks again Dirtmotor
Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Big truck alternators get really really pricey, I think it has more to do with duty cycle, than amps on the tag.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-it-costs.html
Old 08-16-2014, 07:22 PM
New User

dirtmotor is starting off with a positive reputation.
so far so good , inner fender off alternator off , next up order new one from ford price was less than I thought . Toughest part so far was getting to belt tensioner . Finally got break over bar in and used a punch through hole in bar and pried off frame . Not great but it worked .
Old 08-16-2014, 07:22 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
64, alternator, f350, remove