6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Fuel system problems, warranty possibly denied

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 742 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Funny, I knew exactly what you meant the first time. Figured it was some kind of Canadian or Australian thing...
LOL, I had no clue what he meant!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
How did it get Darion out of Station...LOL.
All I know about the Vpower is Shell claims it raises cetane 1 or 2 numbers.
I actually e-mailed Shell this morning asking them about cetane and additives in their fuel.
We'll see if they even respond with anything useful.
As much money as I spend with Shell, they can answer an e-mail for me!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
So any new update from the OP?? Rick?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 PM
JohnP3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most diesel fuel uses Biofuel to up the cetain numbers. I only get one choice of diesel in my neighborhood fuel stations, I run either Shell or Chevron, I get better mileage by far with Chevron a friend of mine gets better mileage with Shell.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 AM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
I emailed Shell some months ago and actually got a call back and a follow up email. I will dig it up and post here. My main focus was to determine if they used alcohol or any other content as a demulsifier and they confirmed they did not. I still use VPower to this day even with PM22. I am only putting on 25,000 KM's a year so the extra few cents won't hurt the wallet much.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 742 Likes on 144 Posts
I e-mailed shell about the lubicity of their fuel. I basically asked them what it was. I told them I wanted to get to 380 so I needed to know what is was so I could figure out how to get there. They got back to me right away but all they would commit to is "lower than 500".

"Hello Darren,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
The CGSB Canadian (General Standards Board) Standards requires that all ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) sold in Canada contains a lubricity additive. Unadditized ULSD can have HFRR wear scar diameters from about 500 to as high as 700 microns; whereas the diesel produced 20 years ago (before the introduction of LSD) would typically have been less than 400 to 450 microns in the HFRR. <o></o>
Shell Canada chooses not to rely solely on the HFRR lab test and actually runs long term diesel fuel injection pump rig tests to qualify the lubricity additives and treat rates that we use adding an extra degree of protection for our customers.<o></o>
The HFRR rating of Shell ULSD (regular or V-Power) is lower than 500 microns.<o></o>
All refineries in Canada produce raw gasoline and raw ULSD according to very strict CGSB standards. The additive technology is proprietary. <o></o>
Shell fuels are top tiers and Shell strives to always provide its customers with the fuel quality possible.<o></o>
Kind regards,<o></o>
<o></o>
José M.<o></o>
Shell Lubricants & Fuels<o></o>
North American Technical Information Centre<o></o>
Email: Techdesk@shell.com <o></o>
Toll Free Tel.: 1-800-661-1771"<o></o>

Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
My main questions to Shell were about cetane and additives containing an emulsifier.
They actually responded with a better response than I expected.

Hello Shell Customer Care; What is the CETANE rating of Shell ULSD in the United States? Is the CETANE rating the same for all regions of the United States or does this vary based on climate? I live in northern Alabama so if ULSD is different based on location, what's the ULSD CETANE rating of fuel delivered to southern states? In addition, does Shell use any additives in ULSD that is an emulsifier? With these expense fuel systems in our diesel pickup trucks and having spent many thousands of dollars on Shell ULSD, I want to know Shell fuel won't destroy my expensive fuel system and produce a $12,000 repair bill! Thank you for your time.
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. In response to your inquiry, all Shell diesel sold in the US meets the latest version of ASTM D 975, Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils.

The cetane of Shell diesel is at least 40.

The introduction of ULSD to the marketplace in 2006 caused ASTM to add a lubricity requirement to the standard since removing this much sulfur in the diesel also resulted in a reduction of the natural lubricating ability of the fuel. All Shell terminals add a lubricity additive to the ULSD and we have a monitoring program that tests trucks at the terminal to make sure the proper dose has been added and the ULSD meets the lubricity requirement.

The use of ULSD at retail locations is required by the EPA Clean Air Act to reduce SO2 and particulate emissions.

In the northern part of the US during the winter months, Shell may offer a winter diesel fuel. Check with your local station or supplier for details of this product.

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you in this matter and look forward to providing you with quality Shell branded products and service in the future.

Sincerely,
Shell Customer Care

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by consolidated
They asked for receipts from the gas stations I've used, supposedly to blame them I'm guessing, which means it's not covered. I just printed three months of credit card history to give them tomorrow.

I still don't get why all these dealers are asking for receipts. The laws are already in place that protect the consumer in that aspect.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
I still don't get why all these dealers are asking for receipts. The laws are already in place that protect the consumer in that aspect.
intimidation...confusion...subterfuge...you can pick one or all...Why does the dealer need to see these receipts? The dealership has no dog in the fight if the problem is truly WIF. They are not going to be pursuing the fuel retailer for remuneration if Ford or the dealership is not paying the bill. Without paying for the work under warranty coverage, only the owner or his insurance company would have paid the bill and had cause for collecting from the fuel retailer.

I have not spoken with Mike since Wednesday. But, my instincts regarding the "receipt request", lead me to dealer subterfuge. He affirmed that he had a HPFP replaced but did not know why. The truck still ran. With Ford's shameful treatment of owners with legitimate HPFP warranty situations, how would a dealer get a HPFP warranty this suspect past the warranty auditors? I smell warranty reimbursement kickback and a dealer playing CYA...BWDIK

Peace

Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
consolidated
Freshman User
So far the claim is that my fuel was contaminated with biodiesel, they found no water so they are going to try and warranty the work...fingers crossed. I mentioned the truck was rated for B20 but stopped short of arguing since it appears they are trying to take care of me and the truck.

Now that I produced receipts to prove that I fuel at known fuel stations, Shell, Chevron and not ***** Nelson's Biodiesel station, they said the are going to start with replacing the HPFP, flush the system and go from there, but were prepared to replace everything to the injectors.

We'll see how it goes from here. I don't feel out of the woods yet, my checkbook is still trembling. Wish me luck fellas.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM
consolidated
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rickatic
intimidation...confusion...subterfuge...you can pick one or all...Why does the dealer need to see these receipts? The dealership has no dog in the fight if the problem is truly WIF. They are not going to be pursuing the fuel retailer for remuneration if Ford or the dealership is not paying the bill. Without paying for the work under warranty coverage, only the owner or his insurance company would have paid the bill and had cause for collecting from the fuel retailer.

I have not spoken with Mike since Wednesday. But, my instincts regarding the "receipt request", lead me to dealer subterfuge. He affirmed that he had a HPFP replaced but did not know why. The truck still ran. With Ford's shameful treatment of owners with legitimate HPFP warranty situations, how would a dealer get a HPFP warranty this suspect past the warranty auditors? I smell warranty reimbursement kickback and a dealer playing CYA...BWDIK

Peace
Rickatic,
Thanks for the help offline. I genuinely do not understand what is going on with the truck, how warranty claims are given or denied or how informed/uninformed the dealership is. As long as they fix it under warranty I'll happily go back to my regular life instead of losing sleep with a $10,000 axe over my neck...we'll see how it goes.

Having said that, I am shocked at how sensitive the truck is to anything that has to do with fuel. I use this truck to haul racecars, so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to things automotive....just surprised that a small amount of biodiesel, water, or whatever they want to blame the failure on can bring a modern $60K truck to it's knees.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
Just going to lay out a hypothetical scenario for you: Customer comes in with a loss of power and check engine light. Check of dtcs lead you in the direction of the HPFP. Preliminary diagnostics point out a fuel filter coated with butter or bacon fat. Knowing that many people are making their own bio diesel, how would you ask about that fact? "Do you have receipts from your last fill ups?"

Old 01-26-2012, 03:33 PM
jspeedracer88
Freshman User
My experience

I have as much knowledge about this as all the others here that have already had the failure. I just got my truck back from a 6 week hpfp repair which started when my truck was new. I got WIF messages constantly, contacted dealer about it, they told me to drain it and I got to where I was constantly worrying about this water issue to the point that I was draining it every day hoping to avoid this. But it happened anyway. I thought by keeping my fuel receipts that would definately help me with Ford and the fuel supplier but it did nothing. Ford didn't want to take responsibility for the bad fuel, Mobile Exxon said I could not prove that their fuel was the bad fuel and said I could not prove it. I talked with our family attorney and he said unless you have 6 figures to go up against a fuel company about bad fuel you are going to lose no matter what. The whole situation about this problem is NOBODY WANTS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING. FORD WANTS TO BLAME THE CUSTOMER FOR USING BAD FUEL, WE BLAME FORD BECAUSE FORD CHOSE THIS BOSCH SYSTEM FOR OUR TRUCKS THEREFORE FORD SHOULD STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. BUT THEY CHOSE NOT TO WHICH IS ONLY GOING DOWN HILL FAST FOR ALOT OF OWNERS, MYSELF INCLUDED.

My truck was purchased new Labor Day weekend 2011. Truck blew up with only 4000 miles on it. I did have dealer install a Titan fuel tank which was not installed correctly first time but was reinstalled a second time and never had an issues with tank leaking after that. I always have had the WIF light come on repeatedly the entire time I've owned truck. Servicing dealer told me NOT to use fuel additives because the fuel system is too sensitive for it. But the Ford manual states otherwise and recommends the PM-22 Motorcraft additive be used to increase the lubricity in the fuel! Several forum members here have shared valuable info with me and helped me figure this out. I hope the OP can get some satisfaction but I'm afraid that he is going down the same path as everyone else has. You can take all the fuel samples you want, you can date them, have receipts, record every step you want but I really don't think its going to matter either way to Ford as they have their minds already made up on this problem and its not looking to good for any owner out there who has one of these trucks. My truck is being sold back to dealer and I'm going with a gasser. One 12k repair is enough for me. Thanks, Ford!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow.........

Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by consolidated
Rickatic,
Thanks for the help offline. I genuinely do not understand what is going on with the truck, how warranty claims are given or denied or how informed/uninformed the dealership is. As long as they fix it under warranty I'll happily go back to my regular life instead of losing sleep with a $10,000 axe over my neck...we'll see how it goes.

Having said that, I am shocked at how sensitive the truck is to anything that has to do with fuel. I use this truck to haul racecars, so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to things automotive....just surprised that a small amount of biodiesel, water, or whatever they want to blame the failure on can bring a modern $60K truck to it's knees.
I'm glad to hear that they are going to try and cover it. From what I've seen this is a great sign, as they aren't going to be calling Ford and declaring it to be a non-warranty situation. I think you're going to be taken care of this time, please let us know how it turns out!

Originally Posted by jspeedracer88
I have as much knowledge about this as all the others here that have already had the failure. I just got my truck back from a 6 week hpfp repair which started when my truck was new. I got WIF messages constantly, contacted dealer about it, they told me to drain it and I got to where I was constantly worrying about this water issue to the point that I was draining it every day hoping to avoid this. But it happened anyway. I thought by keeping my fuel receipts that would definately help me with Ford and the fuel supplier but it did nothing. Ford didn't want to take responsibility for the bad fuel, Mobile Exxon said I could not prove that their fuel was the bad fuel and said I could not prove it. I talked with our family attorney and he said unless you have 6 figures to go up against a fuel company about bad fuel you are going to lose no matter what. The whole situation about this problem is NOBODY WANTS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING. FORD WANTS TO BLAME THE CUSTOMER FOR USING BAD FUEL, WE BLAME FORD BECAUSE FORD CHOSE THIS BOSCH SYSTEM FOR OUR TRUCKS THEREFORE FORD SHOULD STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. BUT THEY CHOSE NOT TO WHICH IS ONLY GOING DOWN HILL FAST FOR ALOT OF OWNERS, MYSELF INCLUDED.

My truck was purchased new Labor Day weekend 2011. Truck blew up with only 4000 miles on it. I did have dealer install a Titan fuel tank which was not installed correctly first time but was reinstalled a second time and never had an issues with tank leaking after that. I always have had the WIF light come on repeatedly the entire time I've owned truck. Servicing dealer told me NOT to use fuel additives because the fuel system is too sensitive for it. But the Ford manual states otherwise and recommends the PM-22 Motorcraft additive be used to increase the lubricity in the fuel! Several forum members here have shared valuable info with me and helped me figure this out. I hope the OP can get some satisfaction but I'm afraid that he is going down the same path as everyone else has. You can take all the fuel samples you want, you can date them, have receipts, record every step you want but I really don't think its going to matter either way to Ford as they have their minds already made up on this problem and its not looking to good for any owner out there who has one of these trucks. My truck is being sold back to dealer and I'm going with a gasser. One 12k repair is enough for me. Thanks, Ford!
If you would please start your own thread if you'd like to discuss this. I'd be just as upset at you, but this really isn't the place. This is Consolidated's thread and we should keep it that way.

Quick Reply: Fuel system problems, warranty possibly denied