6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Guess I need to sell it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Budlight592
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess I need to sell it!

Well after having my truck for 3 weeks and 450 miles I guess I need to sell it. All the talk about these high priced failures is scaring me to death. Got rid of my 03 6.0 because of high priced repairs and looks like I could be looking at even higher repairs for this new one some day soon. Think I am going to fill the bed with a diesel laboratory to run full spec test on every tank of fuel I buy. I love my 2012 KR F-350 but the tune of 23k and 12k repairs is way over what I ever even thought about spending repairing my 6.0L. Just wonder if anyone else feels like they made a huge high priced mistake.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by Budlight592
Well after having my truck for 3 weeks and 450 miles I guess I need to sell it. All the talk about these high priced failures is scaring me to death. Got rid of my 03 6.0 because of high priced repairs and looks like I could be looking at even higher repairs for this new one some day soon. Think I am going to fill the bed with a diesel laboratory to run full spec test on every tank of fuel I buy. I love my 2012 KR F-350 but the tune of 23k and 12k repairs is way over what I ever even thought about spending repairing my 6.0L. Just wonder if anyone else feels like they made a huge high priced mistake.
Easy answer.....NO. Year and half and 23,000 miles later just as happy as the day I got her. Been following this site since I started researching to buy, seen everything here. In the big scheme of things still small numbers. IMHO

Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM
bookem15
Senior User
I hear you on this one. I really do not want to be the sky is falling kind of person but with so many reports of people having issues and having to fight to get them covered on warranty it scares a person a little. If I can find a 07 350 harley davidson edition I may be in the market to dump my truck if I can get enough to not lose too much money. After trading my F150 in and putting a chunk of money down with it I think I only owe about 25,000 left on my truck. I am going to keep it long enough to get some of my money out of it but not looking good for sure.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Budlight592
Senior User
Yea I agree thats what I keep telling myself but then you read some of this stuff and it makes you think though. Can't wait to pull the 5th wheel this weekend sure did seem like it had way more get up and go when I picked it up from storage and brought it to the house.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cford716
Easy answer.....NO. Year and half and 23,000 miles later just as happy as the day I got her. Been following this site since I started researching to buy, seen everything here. In the big scheme of things still small numbers. IMHO
Same here (almost exactly time and mile wise). I had a few issues early on but now am pretty happy with the truck!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Bud - It's hard to read this post and not roll my eyes and groan. You have to remember that we live in a world of instant information that provides a huge podium for anyone with a computer and at least one finger. Sometimes you can actually tell which finger a person is using when they type their posts. This is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I don't and won't ever live in fear. I believe that knowledge is power and we each have the opportunity to evaluate all information and apply it to our own circumstances. Does a few engine failures indicate a huge or guaranteed failure down the road? I don't think so. All the information so far is showing the 6.7L to be a huge and reliable success (400,000 trucks, 2/3rd of them diesels). Some things in life are a crap shoot and some things you can control. So far the odds are highly in favor of a very satisfactory ownership experience.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Epic said ^^^^

People don't complain about what is right and going good. They just smile and drive their big ole trucks. There are way more of us than the than the few problems that get reported and beat into the ground.

Much ado about nothing.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Budlight592
Senior User
I totaly agree about not hearing enough good and only the bad but it still gets you to thinking though. I am so excited about the first tow this weekend I can hardly stand it. Only thing I have done is added my back up camera to switch 3 and installed the jimmy jammer on the tail gate. I am looking forward to getting my Hensley BD3 air ride hitch. Ready to throw away the old slider from the short bed. Need a spray in bed liner and bed cover and will be done for awhile. Everyone that has seen or even rode in the truck is so jealous its not even funny, matter of fact each day that I open the garage and see it it still puts a big smile on my face! At 29 years old I have saved and worked hard my short life and planning on enjoying every second of the new ride and will take care of the bumps as they show up.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Bud - It's hard to read this post and not roll my eyes and groan. You have to remember that we live in a world of instant information that provides a huge podium for anyone with a computer and at least one finger. Sometimes you can actually tell which finger a person is using when they type their posts. This is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I don't and won't ever live in fear. I believe that knowledge is power and we each have the opportunity to evaluate all information and apply it to our own circumstances. Does a few engine failures indicate a huge or guaranteed failure down the road? I don't think so. All the information so far is showing the 6.7L to be a huge and reliable success (400,000 trucks, 2/3rd of them diesels). Some things in life are a crap shoot and some things you can control. So far the odds are highly in favor of a very satisfactory ownership experience.
X2. Great post. I've been to two or three forums pretty regularly for the last few months, and I can count on one hand the number of major failures I've seen posted, let alone failures that weren't covered by warranty. Even factoring in the number of failures that might not get posted on online, the odds are WAY in favour of a trouble free truck. Considering this is a new engine from the ground up, I think it's been remarkably reliable so far.

Some lucky guys out there are going to get themselves some good deals on these used 6.7s if people start to panic sell them. Too bad mine's already on order.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
While the DFCM is questionable, my truck still does what I demand of it!
26,300+ miles here and the only mechanical repair has been my front differential.
The issues suck but no way I'm selling mine!

Edit: I agree with Epic, you can't be scared about everything.
I do want Ford to explain to me how our DFCM works simply because I don't understand it but I'm not throwing my truck away because of these posts.
More disappointed with our ULSD quality in the US to cause parts to fail because the part was designed with quality fuel.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM
PITS
Elder User
...and will be done for awhile...

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are...

Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm not saying anyone should go through life with their heads stuck in the sand. I for one appreciate all the information that's out there. The last couple of months have made me get a letter from my insurance company stating they would cover any damage caused by water in fuel, I'm adding fuel additive religiously, and I'll be darn sure I'm careful about any dealer service department I have work on my truck.

There's other things I'm glad for which is a group of enthusiasts who stick up for each other or at least offer a shoulder to cry on. I'm sure that Ford and the aftermarket will respond to any REAL problems. It's the American way.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is much ado about nothing as long as it did not happen to you...afterwards...it's a big deal...the number of failures is small...but if you think it can not happen to you you are whistling past the cemetery...Ford has failed miserably in the public relations battle. By refusing to stand behind their in house diesel when the owner has done nothing wrong, they have opened the flood gates for comparison to past Ford debacles...and they should know where that will lead them...

Shame on Ford

Peace

Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I'm not saying anyone should go through life with their heads stuck in the sand. I for one appreciate all the information that's out there. The last couple of months have made me get a letter from my insurance company stating they would cover any damage caused by water in fuel, I'm adding fuel additive religiously, and I'll be darn sure I'm careful about any dealer service department I have work on my truck.

There's other things I'm glad for which is a group of enthusiasts who stick up for each other or at least offer a shoulder to cry on. I'm sure that Ford and the aftermarket will respond to any REAL problems. It's the American way.
That's what's been helpful from the bad.
We've learned how sensitive these new high pressure fuel systems are and we've learned about our fuel quality.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:22 PM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
What Epic said x2 ..... what Rick said -2

To put a different spin on this .... I guess if you feel this truck carries considerable risk with it you would agree that the value of the truck should be seriously diminished. Would you accept 2/3 of the book value right now to sell it? I am guessing not. That's because you know in your heart of hearts you cant wipe the grin off your face everytime you fire the beast up or when you see the rig getting more looks from guys than a hot lady!

This puppy is rocking the nation! Ok, both nations! There are, and always will be, issues come up from time to time. With over 400K units on the asphalt with a radically designed new engine, tranny, and even Damned DEF I strongly believe one has to say it is successful!

Don't go down the doubting Thomas Tunnel ...... use an additive, empty your water separator, know your dealer, do the maintenance, and hitch up 1000's of pounds of cast pig iron and haul A$$! Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Guess I need to sell it!