1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

GPR-#109 Installed....truck dead...extra terminal on relay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
TNT
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPR-#109 Installed....truck dead...extra terminal on relay?

I followed the posts about cold starts and bought a new GPR from Napa. I did note that the old GPR has three screws and the new one has four (an extra small one opposite the one on top. I go to start the truck and it doesn't even turn over. Lights go on but nothing. Any idea? Is that the wrong GPR???

Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
When you say screws, you mean the posts on the top of the relay? The GPR is supposed to have 4. What did your old one look like?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TNT
I followed the posts about cold starts and bought a new GPR from Napa. I did note that the old GPR has three screws and the new one has four (an extra small one opposite the one on top. I go to start the truck and it doesn't even turn over. Lights go on but nothing. Any idea? Is that the wrong GPR???
The start problem, I don't believe, is any way associated with the GPR you bought (can't imagine how it is). The GPR-109 is used by many to replace a failed GPR. Do the lights dim considerably when you try to start? If so, that is usually associated with a bad battery connection OR failed battery. I'd disconnect batteries, clean posts and clamps, clean connection at starter and ground and retry. If the problem persists, then I'd take the batteries in for load testing. If the batteries are found to be weak (if even just one is weak) replace as a pair.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 PM
TNT
Mountain Pass
I'm the village idiot. I was too quick to look and see what is probably the starter relay which looks exactly like the 109 minus one terminal. Duh on me. BUT...the 109 is offset 90 degrees in relation to the tabs. There is a metal bracket on the right side for which the smaller terminal now sits and will not fit over that smaller terminal. What is the solution? Also, do I follow the 90 degrees clockwise on the hook up? Thanks!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TNT
I'm the village idiot. I was too quick to look and see what is probably the starter relay which looks exactly like the 109 minus one terminal. Duh on me. BUT...the 109 is offset 90 degrees in relation to the tabs. There is a metal bracket on the right side for which the smaller terminal now sits and will not fit over that smaller terminal. What is the solution? Also, do I follow the 90 degrees clockwise on the hook up? Thanks!
It will fit, but only one way...unfortunately, I can't tell you how I did it...old age, I can't remember .

Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 PM
TNT
Mountain Pass
But the mounting brackets leave the top of the GPR offset 90 degrees so that the metal bracket on top will come down on the smaller terminal now instead of the larger one. I can force the bracket over the smaller one and bend it into submission, but I don't know if that metal bracket serves a purpose in the connections. Hmmmmm.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
TNT
Mountain Pass
If anyone can tell me, there are two terminals that are located at the bottom right side of the gpr that hold the bracket that goes over the top of the gpr. My son was working on it and I'm not sure we got the right wires back. There are two blue wires that I thought were connected to the bottom front terminal but maybe one of them goes on the top? I tried to start and I'm not getting the gpr light to come on. I thought this was going to be simple but the 90 degree turn, bracket on top with hole that only fits the large terminal not the small, losing track of wires going were. Cheeez. I'm taking this back to Napa. Can not find one of the many pictures of the gpr that looks like the one I have (99.5 7.3 250PS). Saw on picture on diesel stop and I think they called it a "shim". But no help.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 PM
TNT
Mountain Pass
Also....there are three blue wires that say "fuse link". I think two went to the bottom two terminals on side and another went to one of the larger terminals. Does anyone know? Are there any pictures of this gpr with wires?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:48 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I could not find a wiring schematic that showed the shunted relay. The only thing I saw was the one picture that Woodnthings has posted.

https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...ow-plug-system

Looking at it, there is a large wire that is blue and turns into agrayish wire that goes on top of the larger top terminal shunt. On the bottom large yellow wire is paired with a blue wire that turns pinkish. The other blue wire goes on the other lower shunt wire that is brown/black.

I think basically the blue wires measure the amp draw between the top terminal and the lower terminal and will throw a SES light if its not pulling enough amps for the glow plugs. I saw a description on how the shunted relay worked but no schematic.