1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

So sad, got stranded today

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So sad, got stranded today

I've had a really bad day.

Went to the feed store, about 25 miles from home, and was left stranded in it's parking lot. I need help!!

So this is what happened. Got there just fine, truck started strong at home. Went in to pay for the feed, then came out to move the truck to get loaded. Truck turned over just a little slow, but I had just turned it off, so I figured that was normal for a hot engine, which it is for my truck.

Turned it off while I waited for the fork lift, go loaded, and tried to start the truck to go home. No could do. Sounded like the battery went dead. Feed guy brought over his Ranger to give me a jump, but the dang truck was still dead, I mean really dead! Would not start with a jump.

WTF??

I was there with NO tools as I had just replaced the IAC in the Bronco yesterday, and my "Road Bag" was still in it...I hadn't put it back in the pick-up yet.

So...I went to call home, and my stupid cell was dead.

WTF again!!!

Called home from inside, and had my son load my tools into his car, and come rescue me.

When he got there, we tried to jump it again. No go. Took out my battery, put his in, and no start. Tried to jump it with a screwdriver at the solenoid, it clicked, but the starter wouldn't engage. Ok, so the starter had been sounding funny for some time, so maybe it froze up?

Advance Auto was right across the street, lucky me, right? We went over to get a new starter, and I happened to have a new solenoid behind the seat, so we started throwing parts at the truck.

Now it starts getting funny. Tool bag has my Snap-on 12pt sockets in it, but the lower starter bolt's head had rounded corners, so I had to go back to Advance for their cheapest set of 6pt sockets.

Dropped the starter and noticed right away that the new starter and the old one were different. Old starter's motor was smaller, and the Bendix was a round unit attached to the side. New starter had the Bendix in a "hump" on the side of the starter motor. Nose was different also. Old starter's nose was off-set to one side, while the new starter was almost centered.

Back to Advance, and we started pulling starters off the shelf, as they showed the new starter to be correct for my year. Ended up finding the correct starter for a 90's series motor.

WTF yet again!!

Went back to truck, installed new starter and solenoid, put son's battery back into truck....and it's still dead. I did the best I could to check my grounds, and anything else I could think of that might be causing a bad connection, but I was losing light and getting really frustrated.

Long story short, truck is locked behind the feed store's fence 'till Monday, and I'm at a loss. It's got to be a bad connection somewhere, I guess, but I can't diagnose it in their parking lot. Monday I'll have to have it towed home, 25 miles away, and try to figure out what's up.

Any ideas??

Old 01-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
I hate throwing parts at a problem. If they weren't getting ready to lock the gates, and I could of had more time to look at this thing, I might of been able to figure this out.

No time, in someone else's parking lot, too far away from home. Bad situation...

Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Well, let us know what it is when you figure it out.

On the outset, it sounds like a Frankentruck.

Might see if the starter will turn on the ground and connected to a battery.

If you can hear the solenoid click (clunk), I'd have to imagine the starter motor is getting power and is trying to do its job.

A bad negative connection at the engine block (or anywhere, really) could cause it, as could bad positive cables - they can carry enough current to run light bulbs maybe, but not the starter motor.

But, the wiring should have gotten hot.

Hmmm........

Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I would check Negative and positive battery cables...

At the solenoids start wire, I'd check to see if this is hot with the truck in the start position with it unplugged from the solenoid. If not hot, check the ignition switch and the fuseable links. If hot check the starter solenoid and the cables.

If you have other symptoms, no headlights, taillights, no lights at all, for example, check the fuse links and/or ground cables.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Interior lights are/were almost non-existant. When we put the jumper cables on it, the dome light would slowly grow to a dull red. Heck, I can't even run the electric door locks.

When I get the truck home, I'm gonna ask you guys for diagnostic help, if I may. I'm a complete novice at diagnosing electrical issues...they usually intimidate me. I promise though, I'll listen closely, and learn from this. What I mean is, I want to fix this correctly, as I can assure you I'm capable enough just to bypass everything and run this thing off of push buttons and toggle switches.

Needless to say, that's not the route I want to take.

I read in another thread this evening the hesitancy some might have against "spoon feeding" information, but I hope my inexperience with electrical issues, and the detailed help I'll need to do this right wont appear the be that. I'll learn something, and I'll pass it along as best I can.

I'll let you know when I get the truck back.

Oh yea, my wife asked me while I was still down by the truck, if I should just get it towed to a mechanic local to where the truck is broke down. I thought about that on the way home, and I decided, No. First, I hate mechanic shops...they are there to make money, and usually bunches of it. Why should I give someone hundreds of dollars for something I can eventually find on my own? Second, I wouldn't of learned a thing by letting someone else do the work.

Anyway, I'll get back to you when I get my baby home.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery to solenoid cable, a bad or corroded end on the fuse link on the solenoid, or a bad ground cable. Would check the cables first.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:15 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Does sound like a bad cable connection.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by Anafiel
When I get the truck home, I'm gonna ask you guys for diagnostic help, if I may. I'm a complete novice at diagnosing electrical issues...they usually intimidate me. I promise though, I'll listen closely, and learn from this. What I mean is, I want to fix this correctly, as I can assure you I'm capable enough just to bypass everything and run this thing off of push buttons and toggle switches.

Needless to say, that's not the route I want to take.

I read in another thread this evening the hesitancy some might have against "spoon feeding" information, but I hope my inexperience with electrical issues, and the detailed help I'll need to do this right wont appear the be that. I'll learn something, and I'll pass it along as best I can.
Don't worry, Kev, you're cool, this is exactly the kind of scenario in which people here and this forum can help.

In my post about spoon-feeding, I was referencing people who don't want any part in helping figure out & diagnosing what's wrong with their own trucks, they want somebody here to do everything for them.

I won't get into the scenarios where people use crappy English skills and won't use punctuation & capitalization & correct spelling & white space to make their posts easy to read to those who can maybe help them.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Does sound like a bad cable connection.
Yup, I agree. I thought so at the scene, but I didn't have time to diagnose it as they were threatening to lock me in/out. It was closing time.

I just kinda "hoped" that it was the starter.

I would not of bought one if the truck would of been at the house, but I was pressed for time, and this was a "Hail Mary"

I hate Hail Marys...the never seem to work out.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Don't worry, Kev, you're cool, this is exactly the kind of scenario in which people here and this forum can help.

In my post about spoon-feeding, I was referencing people who don't want any part in helping figure out & diagnosing what's wrong with their own trucks, they want somebody here to do everything for them.

I won't get into the scenarios where people use crappy English skills and won't use punctuation & capitalization & correct spelling & white space to make their posts easy to read to those who can maybe help them.

What can I say but....

Old 01-15-2012, 03:07 PM
newrider3
Elder User
Cut back a little of the insulation from each end of the battery cables when you go look at it next. If you see a bunch of green, or the copper is very brown a couple inches into the insulation, chances are the cable is corroded the whole way down.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Check the grounds. I had a similar problem some years ago and it was a ground problem.
Check all of the grounds especially around the the starter and any other ignition components.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Crap.

Trying to find a tow, but being MLK Day, everyone wants to charge me "after hours" rates. SO far, the best I can do it $200.00

Never had anything towed before. Is this outrageous? Seems so to me...

Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
smashclash
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tow places are pretty shady. $200 seems about right. usually they say cash only too.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 AM
ctubutis
I would wait until tomorrow.

Quick Reply: So sad, got stranded today