Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F350 Leaking Orange/Yellw Fluid - Need to Identify Part

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM
cougarman001
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 Leaking Orange/Yellw Fluid - Need to Identify Part

I just had a call from my grandson regarding what appears to be an orange/yellowish fluid leaking from his mom's Ford F350 with a 7.5L engine. (I am not sure of the year of the vehicle). This fliuid is leaking from a device located at the top of the engine towards the left (driver's) side at the rear bolted to a bracket above the valve cover. This device has a few wire connectors connected to it. There is a larger circular part running horizontally mounted on he bracket and another smaller circular item which is mounted vertically toward the back. I have pictures but I am not sure how to post them. Does anyone have any idea what this part is called and if it could indee leak any kind of fluid. There does not appear to be any tubing or pipes connected to this device.

Thanks,
Erv R.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Engalwood
Senior User
Im blank with out any pictures.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by cougarman001
I just had a call from my grandson regarding what appears to be an orange/yellowish fluid leaking from his mom's Ford F350 with a 7.5L engine. (I am not sure of the year of the vehicle). This fliuid is leaking from a device located at the top of the engine towards the left (driver's) side at the rear bolted to a bracket above the valve cover. This device has a few wire connectors connected to it. There is a larger circular part running horizontally mounted on he bracket and another smaller circular item which is mounted vertically toward the back. I have pictures but I am not sure how to post them. Does anyone have any idea what this part is called and if it could indee leak any kind of fluid. There does not appear to be any tubing or pipes connected to this device.

Thanks,
Erv R.
kinda sounds like brake fluid.... but need those pix...
set up and put them in your album, or copy and paste em from photo bucket or similar service

Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM
cougarman001
Junior User
I figured out how to add the pictures. Here they are:

You can see the orange/yellowish fluid collecting in the corner of the bracket around the nut that is used to attach the bracket to the engine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Erv R.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Engalwood
Senior User
Might be that coler because of the rust? Whats it feel like? might be break fluid. Id sug cleaning well and watching for were it might be coming from.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 PM
cougarman001
Junior User
The fluid feels oily. It runs down and eventually drips on the exhaust manifold where it burns off and smells like oil. I haven't looked at up close but if I had to guess it looks like it's coming out of the round part mounted horizontally on the bracket. I thought it might be a servo or a relay that is oil filled for cooling. I just don't know the name of that part. So far it hasn't effected how the truck runs. It's also not constant. My dauther-in-law complained about the engine smoking a few weeks ago. I started the truck and whatever was on the exhaust manifold burned off. There wasn't any fluid on the bracket. I drove the truck for about 10 miles and the smoking didn't come back. I figured someone had just spilled oil when they added oil to the engine. It is close to the filler cap. Obviously that's not the case.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:53 PM
cougarman001
Junior User
I just confirmed the truck is a '95. Is there anyway I can move this to the 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks forum myself? If not who might be able to move it?

Thanks,
Erv R.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:33 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks forum.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
This looks like the coil died and is pouring that fluid, can you take it out and check it?.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 AM
732t37
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not an oil-filled coil.

I know you said it feels oily, but based on the pictures I'd have to say it looks like DOT 3, esp. since it rusted something and turned orange. Can't think of anything else that feels remotely oily and is orange, unless you're using GM antifreeze

Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 AM
cougarman001
Junior User
Powerstroke72 - Thanks for moving this to the other forum.

Encho and 732t37 - Thanks for the replies. I plan on pulling the coil to confirm if it is indeed leaking oil. Several on the other forum also identified the part as the coil. I have been away from auto repair for awhile. I know the old tower type coils used to ve filled with oil. I'll try to report back once I remove this part to see what's going on. BTW - The trruck seems to be running fine except it does have a history of stumbling on acceleration.

Thanks to all,
Erv R.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No way that can be brake fluid.
That is probably an oil isolated coil.
It looks different then my non oiled coil.
I'm gonna have to say that the coil needs replacing. As far as the stumble it's had, that may be the issue. Or the tps has a dead spot in it. Or if it stumbles at idle a sticky iac.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 AM
cougarman001
Junior User
I had a chance to remove the coil late yesterday afternoon (actually had my 17 y/o grandson do it. Too old to kneel on the radiator support. LOL) The coil is covered with an oily substance but I can't find any obvious places where it may be leaking. Does anyone know if there is anyway to verify that the original coil is oil filled? The only stamping I found on it was a number 4J15B. I searched the web on that number but I didn't find anything. I'm assuming it's original but I don't see any Ford part #'s.

Does anyone know what device that is mounted behind the coil? It looks like all it has are a couple of vacuum lines and an electrical connection. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Erv R.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those vacuum solenoids are for the emissions. One goes to egr valve and the other to the air pump diverter valve. (pretty sure)

Just purchase a new coil and you'll be done. The old one was possibly getting hot and forcing the oil out at a seam or hairline crack.
With the age that it has, it's about due for a change anyway.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 AM
cougarman001
Junior User
Thanks UNTAMND. I figure the same thing. Since it's not my truck and I don't drive it I just want to make sure the problem is gone. My daughter-in law only uses it a few times a year when she needs to move animals (goats). She said she had to drive it quite aways before she noticed it smoking due to the oil burning off. That supports our assumption that it's probably a hairline crack and it only leaks after it gets hot. A new coil certainly can't hurt.

Quick Reply: F350 Leaking Orange/Yellw Fluid - Need to Identify Part