Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

460 swap into 92 f-250

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM
ford1man
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 swap into 92 f-250

I have a 1992 F-250 with a built efi 351 windsor and a zf series 5 speed tranny and transfer case. After all of the money I put into the motor for gains in power it just isnt cutting it for what i need. Seems like it would be a great hotrod motor but not too much for pulling and hauling so im going to swap that out for my carbed 460. I will be getting another zf series 5 speed and t-case for the big block but i had some questions for anyone else that may have done this. Since its basically the same setup the driveshafts should be the same length right? Any info or advice would be greatly appriciated!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 390 Likes on 295 Posts
It will work, however I believe you will need the mounts and crossmembers for a 460.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Transfer case should sit in same place. So driveshafts will be same length.

What have you done to the 351 for mods. Or tuning.
Cause a 351 with headers and cam and tuning should go pretty well.
What do you tow that you need more power.
What gears are in your truck. You have a manual trans so that thing should be quite impressive.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
94BigRed
Senior User
UNTAMND is right. I'd look at getting lower gears tho utilize the power you already have. I'm a 460 driver myself so I can't say its a bad choice, but gears would definitely be cheaper and easier, plus you wouldn't have to lay down the 351 you put all the effort and dough into. If it has 4.10 gears, its geared for a big block so it'll run 70 at around 2300 RPMs. This is a ways under the small block power band and will kill your performance and mileage. I honestly think you'll be happier with a lower set of teeth, but I can't argue with the old big block motto "There's no replacement for displacement."

If you do go with the block swap, new mounts should be the only big issue, but EDGETHIS may be right about the new crossmember. Also, the fittings on the throttle cable will need to be changed going from a throttle body to a carb.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:30 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Don't get me wrong, I love putting 460s into everything. I have a boat and van and umpteen trucks and had a ranger and a foxbody with 460s. I put a 460 into a 92 halfton and made it a screamer with accel6 efi and custom everything.
Im just curious as to what he Did to the 351 before he goes and puts a lot of money into a motor swap.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 365 Likes on 293 Posts
The motor mount perches are different, but you may be able to mod yours to fit, they are very similar. Also the crossmember is going to hit the oil filter, so you need to bevel your crossmember to match that of the 460, *or* you need to delete the oil cooler and use a remote-mount filter.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
You can re-gear to get more low end power, Or convert the 351w to carb, or both.

A good 4bbl, intake, and good heads will wake that 351w up big time. Cam and exhaust only adds to its power. The intake and heads should get you from 210 hp to 350 hp or more.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM
ford1man
New User
I have a lot of time into the old windsor, I put 10:1 compression pistons in, new rings, bearings, timing gears. A set of aluminum heads and roller rockers, hydrolic lifters, headers and dual flowmasters, msd ignition system, comp cam. There's no dought in my mind its got the horsepower, but the torque I want isn't there. My truck also has the 3.73 gear ratio in the rearend. My plans are to take the windsor and stick it in my foxbody. The truck is very impressive when its empty, I work at a coal mine so I'm always hauling coal or pulling pumps with it, plus I haul a lot of hay bales and seed for our farm. My buddy is pretty much giving me the transmission and t case so cost wise shouldn't be too bad. Now if I'm not mistaken couldn't I buy a set of mounts for my year truck with the 460 and make them work? My 460 has a mechanical fuel pump on it aswell any ideas on how to go about running the fuel supply to the carb? Thanks for all the info so far guys its much appriciated!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
No where in there did you mention injectors Or custom tune.
Is it a carb 351 already or is it still efi.

As far As 460 goes. Yes just get the 460 frame mounts and bolt them into your truck.
Then the 460 is a drop in item. Cross member is the only potential issue a d even that's easy. I think you ment tank to mechanical fuel pump. For that you can just unhook the original supply line and hook a hose to it. Run new hard line to the front. Dual tanks may be tricky though. You'll need to remove the intank fuel pumps though. Your mechanical pump won't suck through them very well if at all.
That would be one awesome 351 in a foxbody. Go for it.
Fuel pump to carb is easy.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:59 AM
ford1man
New User
The 351w is EFI but as for the injectors they are stock. That was going to be my next step, stick bigger injectors and a custom computer in, but then i thought of this new idea of using my 460. My foxbody is in need of something a little more than the 5.0 its got now so this windsor should be more than enough to suit me! I just think between my truck being heavy and my airplane gears in the rear this motor would cost me some bigger bucks to get the torque to where i want it compared to the 460 that already has it. I cant wait to see what this 460 does in my pickup with this gear ratio. We ran it in an older truck with 4.10 gears, it would only go 80 mph but would get you there as fast as you could push the pedal. JAS88 good idea about the oil filter location too thats one thing that slipped my mind! Thanks for all the info everyone its very much appriciated!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Yeah stock injectors are maxed out for sure and that's where I'm sure a lot of your lack of power is comming from. No tuning on that combo is like putting a 350cfm carb on a 460. Sure it will run and go fine but not very optimized.

With the 460 in there, without the oil/water cooler (someone had mentioned) you will need to clearance the crossmember a little. I don't remember having too much issue. You can also get a 90 degree adaptor for it that the stock truck come with. If you find a factory setup then some come with an oil cooler as well.
The 460 is a quick swap. It was offered in that truck anyway so it's a bolt in thing with the correct factory parts.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Your 92 should have electric fuel pumps in the tanks, so you shouldn't need to use even a mechanical fuel pump on the block.

Another item to address in your parts search as everything else will drop in just nicely after the new motor mounts, is the radiator. They are different, and have different capacities.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:14 AM
rikard
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In order to use the intank pump you will need a fuel pressure regulator to reduce the 45+ psi to about 5 psi. If you want to use the mechanical pump you'll have to remove the fuel pump from the tank and install a pick up line. IIRC the tank access plate is different between EFI and carb setups so you just can't switch covers.
Most 351s with the mods you mentioned are pretty quick but your right about the torque that comes with displacement. In a Fox body that thing will scream.
Being a Chevy 327/350 guy I couldn't believe the difference in low end power that the 427, 440, and 429 in stock form had over the small blocks.
regards
rikard

Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 365 Likes on 293 Posts
You can also get a 90 degree adaptor for it that the stock truck come with.
My 460 (from '90 F250) had a 45 degree adaptor that the oil cooler lines plugged into. I tried a 90 degree adaptor from Ford Motorsport but it did not work, the oil filter would have hit the a/c belt. I ended up putting a remote filter on it with steel-braided lines I made for extra safety. If I had known beforehand that the adaptor I had in mind was not going to work, I would have cut out the oil filter hole in the crossmember (where the oil filter goes on a Windsor) and then used a straight adaptor.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what i do not see is 1 at tune 2 larger injectors, 3 better efi intake, air intake system, you asking it to suck air thru a straw!

Quick Reply: 460 swap into 92 f-250