6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Diesel in my crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Boggy Creek
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel in my crankcase

I am getting diesel in my oil. I have a 2008 6.4 diesel. Ford knows about this but I'm not getting any answers from the dealership. I've talked with a salesperson, mechanic, and service manager. I have a warranty and extended warranty but fear that the engine will fail after warranty is up. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Its somewhat common to get a higher than normal (whats considered normal anyway) amount of fuel in the motor oil on the 6.4l. I would suggest posting down in the 6.4l section. There are several other threads on the subject that should help you.

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Boggy Creek
New User
Thanks!!! I'll do that. Appreciate the help.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Usually the cause is from the regens. Regens plus low speed operations/city driving are a killer to the process leading to most of the issues of growing oil.

There can be other causes though. Such as leaking injectors.

To help combat this growing oil it is best to change your oil every 5K miles.

As far as how much oil you are making can vary per user. I usually make .<5% due to my duty cycle and use.

So how much oil and have you done any oa's.

How far apart are your regens?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
I agree with Senix. Change your oil every 5k and keep an eyeball on your oil levels if you do alot of city driving and regen a lot. Growing oil is a common reported problem as a result of regen in stop and go traffic.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Boggy Creek
New User
Originally Posted by senix
Usually the cause is from the regens. Regens plus low speed operations/city driving are a killer to the process leading to most of the issues of growing oil.

There can be other causes though. Such as leaking injectors.

To help combat this growing oil it is best to change your oil every 5K miles.

As far as how much oil you are making can vary per user. I usually make .<5% due to my duty cycle and use.

So how much oil and have you done any oa's.

How far apart are your regens?

Most of our driving is in town. I made over a quart in 2000 miles. I don't know how far apart the regens are now. There was a recall to recalibrate engine warning approx. 6 months ago and ever since then, I do not see the exhaust cleaning on the dash. The dealership has checked and said that even though I don't see it it is happening. I change my oil myself every 4000 miles and check constantly.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
the design of the motor requires heat to create the best seal around the rings. The best seal means less fuel dillution in the oil.

Running on the hwy or heavy towing creates the seal needed to keep the fuel dillution down.

City driving is your enemy with the emissions stuff.

There is not alot that can be done unless your dpf falls off in your case.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 PM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

The Best thing to do in your case is ( When your warranty goes up) to delete your DPF, EGR, and CAT and get a H&S tune or Spartan tune. This will stop your oil growing problem. Especially since you do a lot of city or stop and go driving.
My truck is completely stock and I don't have the oil dilution since 95% of my driving is highway driving.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigSilly86
The Best thing to do in your case is ( When your warranty goes up) to delete your DPF, EGR, and CAT and get a H&S tune or Spartan tune. This will stop your oil growing problem. Especially since you do a lot of city or stop and go driving.
My truck is completely stock and I don't have the oil dilution since 95% of my driving is highway driving.
Actually, it will stop some of the dilution problem but not all of it. He will still have fuel dilution due ot the excessive city or stop and go driving he does. Turning the vehicle off during a regen function is only part of the problem, driving habits are the other part. If the engine can't get warm enough for proper seal of the rings against the cylinders, it will continue to allow fuel seepage into the oil pan.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
this motor is a heavy boost motor. The heat expands that top ring. If we are not hot we don't have the best seal.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
You may not be interested in doing this much work but when I had the DPF on I had success with the following oil program: Changed oil every 5000 miles. I installed a fumoto oil drain in place of my oil plug. Every 1000 miles between changes I would drain down to one quart low and add a quart of fresh oil. That program resulted in keeping the growth under control and improving the results from the oil anaylsis. I got it down to a 15 minute job. Hardest part was reading the oil level on that goofy dip stick.

I now have 4500 miles on my delete and oil is checking normal and much cleaner than stock. Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:18 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Fuel

Are you guys saying that fuel will mix into the oil even with no DPF/Regen just because of stop and go city driving? Don't engine temps spike higher when in stop and go traffic? Also, doesn't running a high horsepower tune put additional stress on the engine to actually make it work harder than the same engine running the stock tune? Wouldn't this additional stress actually promote better top ring sealing?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil64
Are you guys saying that fuel will mix into the oil even with no DPF/Regen just because of stop and go city driving? Don't engine temps spike higher when in stop and go traffic? Also, doesn't running a high horsepower tune put additional stress on the engine to actually make it work harder than the same engine running the stock tune? Wouldn't this additional stress actually promote better top ring sealing?
I would say fuel dilution on a deleted truck will be less if non existent, unless of course you have an injector heading south...

Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Yep, that's proving to be the case for me. 4600 since my delete and oil change and oil looks like any other truck at this mileage.

Quick Reply: Diesel in my crankcase