6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
P0460:
Fuel Level Sensor A circuit: TSB 06-13-11
Can be caused by the installation of aftermarket equipment such as remote starter systems and auxiliary fuel tanks.
Auxiliary fuel tanks that continuously replenish the vehicles main tank will cause a P0460 code. Customers that replenish the vehicles fuel tank from the auxiliary fuel tank while the key is on and engine is running, can set also P0460.
The newest calibration will contain a revised strategy to eliminate the occurrence of a false P0460.

P2617 is likely to be a poor connection at the crank sensor.

P2290 is an ICP code. The ICP is on the passneger side valve cover. You really need some sort of a scan tool to properly troubleshoot it (ie get the actual ICP values).

Old 01-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Jeanp
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wulfman
Jean dtc is dianostic trouble code . Some after market filters use there own caps if you are using a motor craft filter with a after market cap then that could be your problem. These motors are really picky NEVER USE anything other than motor craft filters. These filters have a patton number and anything else has to be made diff , thats why the diff cap on others is because its a diff lenght. Also if truck will not start there is most likely trouble codes need to have truck scaned.
David, please see my codes provide this monring down below. Let me know waht you think.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Jeanp
Freshman User
Does any body know the phone number for International. I was told they sell F250 parts at really good price.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeanp
Hi David. I really apreciate all help. I when to the auto parts and got the truck scan and here are the codes. it shows P2290 , P0460 BS ,P2617 BS
My truck is a 2006 and it has 170000 miles. Please tell me if you know which one is causing the truck to not start and if you happen to know how to fix it. Thank you.
The DTC with the thumbs up beside it, is likely what's caused your truck not to start. Before you spend money on unnecessary parts, you should have a scan tool that can read ICP volts, ICP psi, ICP desired, IPR duty cycle and RPM and look closely at how they behave and change as you attempt to start your engine. Possible causes: lower d-ring(s) deteriorated on your dummy plugs, blown out STC fitting and/or failed IPR valve. My money is on any one or all thee.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Jeanp
Freshman User
Great. Thak you. I will find someone to further more test on these item. I supose only Ford mechasnics have this scan tools right? or can I purchase this scan tool? maybe to spense right?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Jean listen to mchan he is the man , he can help far more than myself. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Jeanp
Freshman User
mchan / David Thank you. I will have it scan again to point out which ot the 3 items are damage and I will let you know. Once know which part it is I am thinking about doing the job my self. Is replacing the HOP hard do do job?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Jeanp
mchan / David Thank you. I will have it scan again to point out which ot the 3 items are damage and I will let you know. Once know which part it is I am thinking about doing the job my self. Is replacing the HOP hard do do job?
You really should consider all the posts offering help.

To properly troubleshoot - you need to have a scan tool (as I said and as m-chan68 said):

Before you spend money on unnecessary parts, you should have a scan tool that can read ICP volts, ICP psi, ICP desired, IPR duty cycle and RPM and look closely at how they behave and change as you attempt to start your engine. Possible causes: lower d-ring(s) deteriorated on your dummy plugs, blown out STC fitting and/or failed IPR valve. My money is on any one or all thee.

Ignore these pieces of advice, and you will just throw money at parts replacment - especially in the HPOP arena. The later model year HPOP's are really pretty reliable.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Jeanp
Freshman User
Mark, yes, you are correctand i will follow ya'll advise to have the truck scan and have them check all you mentioned. I really apreciate all help provided.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by bismic
Ignore these pieces of advice, and you will just throw money at parts replacment - especially in the HPOP arena. The later model year HPOP's are really pretty reliable.
You know Mark, you would be amazed just how many '05 and up HPOPs our parts department sells. My parts manager has asked me why I never seem to need to replace them. I've told him likely misdiagnosed/over-repairing shops were the cause. But hey, if he's making the money in sales of these units, who is he to complain. I think I've only ever replaced TWO so far. One was leaking oil EXTERNALLY from the body of the pump itself, and other, the gear snapped off the shaft of a high mileage truck (about 500,000 kms. if I recall correctly).

Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
You know Mark, you would be amazed just how many '05 and up HPOPs our parts department sells. My parts manager has asked me why I never seem to need to replace them. I've told him likely misdiagnosed/over-repairing shops were the cause. But hey, if he's making the money in sales of these units, who is he to complain. I think I've only ever replaced TWO so far. One was leaking oil EXTERNALLY from the body of the pump itself, and other, the gear snapped off the shaft of a high mileage truck (about 500,000 kms. if I recall correctly).
Or lazy tech's. I know very few like you, Cheezit, and Scuffy (another board) that actually G.A.S. about getting the repair done CORRECTLY.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Jeanp
Freshman User
Well, here in Houston is hard to find good honest mechanic and here lately I taken my truck in the past year and miss diagnoed my truck end up spending 3,800 and still not fix. First man said it was the Y pipes leak and spen 1500 on that and turn out it was 2 injectors, took it to another mechanic and said it was the FIMC when ahead and replace it costing me I think 950 and turn out he said oh yeah it is the injectors, he said. due you got to replace the injectors cause that is you reall problem. course by this time I lost confidence on this guy. and here I am with a new problem and little cash now to fix my truck and yes I dont want to end up replacing parts and be guessing and hoping that the next part is the soluction to the problem. sorry for the long mesage, I feel very frustrated. I am not happy today.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Good info for us to have Mike! Thanks for the details. I hope you and the other Techs know how much your input is appreciated!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by bismic
Good info for us to have Mike! Thanks for the details. I hope you and the other Techs know how much your input is appreciated!
The problem with being a dealer tech is the majority of customers rarely ever return for post-warranty maintenance or repairs. And at $110 to $130 per hour labour, who's to blame them? For this reason, we very rarely ever see any high mileage vehicles darken our doorstep. Most of the time, it's when it's been to other shops that have exhausted all their resources (along with the customer's money in parts replacement), that we end up seeing it. I have had SEVERAL instances of this lately. More often than not, the vehicle is apart in pieces, and I have to figure out how it goes back together. And these places are the very first to talk down us dealer technicians as "rip-off artists". But they don't coming to us when they're "stuck". Sorry for the rant Mark. I've just been having a bad week.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 AM
dukie1877
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
M-Chan that must be really frusterating I can only imagine.

Jeanp based on your past post Finding this forum is going to be your saving grace. Especially because you Got lucky enough to have Both M-chan And Bismic Helping you at the same time If Cheezit chimes in your on easy street.

Quick Reply: Will not start