Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2012 F150 Paint Defect!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:34 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you are doing the right thing. Things happen.
Sure, you are right, Ford has some margin in there. A couple hundred pounds is probably ok. But with only you in the truck, you'd be > 600 lbs over the limit. With a family, that could be more than half a ton over spec easily, that's likely a bit too much IMO. You need to count the weight of the hitch itself as well, and anything else in the truck. You'd start seeing an impact on your braking performance, and some real stress on your suspension / frame / axles, etc.

BTW: the 1,920# at the scales, was that with the 5'er hitch in the bed or without? I would have expected a number like that without the hitch, even lower with it.

Keep us updated, I hope this will all work out for you!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:00 PM
95 Canoe Hauler
Freshman User
I'm following closely as well deciding between the 150 HD or 250 SD/ diesel. I found an '11 250 lariat/4x4/CC/diesel, beautiful truck but was surprised to see max payload on it was 2071lbs! I'm sure it will pull stumps but expected more payload capacity. Also, what's up with poor gas mileage on the 150HD? Any other symptoms, maybe just a re-flash from the dealer? Please keep us posted on both issues and good luck!

Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 PM
rpbf150
Senior User
MPG.......dealer just says that it 3-8 k miles for the computer and motor to "adjust" and "learn" my driving habits..............blah blah blah blah......you know what I mean?

Old 12-31-2011, 06:12 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rpbf150
MPG.......dealer just says that it 3-8 k miles for the computer and motor to "adjust" and "learn" my driving habits..............blah blah blah blah......you know what I mean?
Yeah, that mileage sounds very bad. I don't think it has anything to do with "computer learning". Your dealer is just talking IMO.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Butl85
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, that is a load of crap I would say to try to get you off their back so they dont have to fix it. If ecoboost got 11mpg brand new nobody would buy one. I have 1k miles on my fx4 5.0 supercrew and I am averaging 18.5 right now with a mix of city and highway. So either your foot is made of lead or there is something wrong with the truck, I would suspect problem with the truck.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 PM
jimk55124
Cross-Country
Paint Issues

[quote=rpbf150;11205983]Pics are posted in my album ( Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - rpbf150's Album: Garage - AWSOME)

I received my dream truck on December 12th........
2012 F150 Super Crew in Red Candy
eco boost, max tow, HD payload, fully loaded!

(build date of November 28th) 10 days later (300 miles) after getting all my add ons completed I was washing the truck and stood on the running board to wipe the roof.....OH MY GOD!!!! Both roof seams were blistered the whole length of the roof. Over 60 - 120 blisters per side. The Passenger side was the worst! They looked like small to very large pimples that had popped. No paint left all the way down to raw materials below. Have contacted Ford dealer and Ford Customer Care......waiting for call back from them.

Boy, do I understand your dilemma with the paint! I ordered my EB in February and it was delivered in April. About 5 days after picking it up, I noticed the finish on the drivers side was very rough in spots. After checking it over closely and finding rough paint on the drivers door, roof, rear door (SC) front fender and the driver's side of the hood, I headed back to the dealer. The dealer was excellent and we finally figured out that it was factory bedliner overspray. To make a long story short, Ford had it for a few days and were about to give up on it when one of the body shop guys tried claying it and bingo the stuff came off. The zone rep was involved and Ford Customer Care was involved. They had it for 10 days (I only had it for five at the time) and once I got past the Customer Care screening process and got to the A team, they really went to work on it, got it back to factory new (without painting) and added the premium extended warranty for my trouble and frustration. Right now, I'm very happy with it. As far as mileage goes, I usually get between 15 and 16 in suburban driving (stop & go) and have gotten 20.5 on the hwy. @ 70 mph with 3.73's (FX4 SC 18 inch wheels). I generally use 89 octane unleaded and in Minnesota, we have 10% ethanol (no choice)or E-85. Stay away from the E-85, it is cheaper but it really hurts your mileage. If I have one piece of advice, it's stay on the Customer Care folks and make sure you're talking to somebody on the "A" team...somebody who can make some decisions and get the job done. It's a terrific truck when it's right. Jim

Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You should definitely get better mpg than that. Even with having the max tow pkg with 373 gears i still average 14.5-15 mpg around town and 17-18 highway.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM
rpbf150
Senior User
Just giving an update...

Dealer called......Zone rep now will not meet with me (at least not for now) even though i sent digital pics of the problem.........i must take the truck to the dealer for them to take pics and send to ford......then the zone rep will say what happens.......sounds like he will blow me off as expected!!! NOT A GOOD WAY TO MAKE A LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP WITH A 38 YEAR GM CUSTOMER WHO JUMPED SHIP!!!!!!!

Will be going to dealer Thursday afternoon..........will uptate later.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Sorry to hear that ....

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
boy if you dont get that taken care of soon it might rust right thru the roof! horrible! how awful a defect so heinously horrid would get thru the line at ford! im really losing hope in new vehicles.

hope you take care of this yourself before it gets anyworse! forget about their help you cant let it go any longer!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by b-uno
boy if you dont get that taken care of soon it might rust right thru the roof! horrible! how awful a defect so heinously horrid would get thru the line at ford! im really losing hope in new vehicles.

hope you take care of this yourself before it gets anyworse! forget about their help you cant let it go any longer!
Are you suggesting the OP should fix this himself? That would give the regional rep a good reason to refuse any warranty coverage.
On a brand new truck, I'd watch the roof rusting through before trying to fix anything like this myself, as sad as it is.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
Are you suggesting the OP should fix this himself? That would give the regional rep a good reason to refuse any warranty coverage.
On a brand new truck, I'd watch the roof rusting through before trying to fix anything like this myself, as sad as it is.

ya this may void the warrenty but they probably wont fix it fast or right anyhow.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Ford8502
More Turbo
Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by rpbf150
Just giving an update...

Dealer called......Zone rep now will not meet with me (at least not for now) even though i sent digital pics of the problem.........i must take the truck to the dealer for them to take pics and send to ford......then the zone rep will say what happens.......sounds like he will blow me off as expected!!! NOT A GOOD WAY TO MAKE A LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP WITH A 38 YEAR GM CUSTOMER WHO JUMPED SHIP!!!!!!!

Will be going to dealer Thursday afternoon..........will uptate later.
I think that is normal. You rely on your dealer, and they work with their zone rep. I don't think it's normal for zone reps to work directly with a consumer (at least not until the rep works with the dealer on an issue). It sounds like your sales person has caused grief for you since day one. If they don't know how to properly read Ford's specs, even after you questioned them about it, I would find another sales person or dealer.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 AM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 282 Likes on 131 Posts
Your paint will fix up fine. Youll probably keep the truck and I think it will.handle your trailer fine. Just sip a toddy and calm your nerves and it will all work out. Wife pulled a eleven thousand pound tongue pull 800 mi with.her eco with 3.73. It did absolutely great. Your fiver would only be better.....

Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by brandon4
Your paint will fix up fine. Youll probably keep the truck and I think it will.handle your trailer fine. Just sip a toddy and calm your nerves and it will all work out. Wife pulled a eleven thousand pound tongue pull 800 mi with.her eco with 3.73. It did absolutely great. Your fiver would only be better.....
Brandon, I don't know about that, rpfb150 will be about a thousand pounds over his GVWR. That is way too much in any case IMO, we are not talking about a couple hundred lbs here. This trailer is very deep into super duty territory, no matter how you look at it.
Also, considering what's upgraded for the HD payload package, I think there may be less margin than there is for a regular (non-HD) F150.

I agree that the paint will be fixed.
It is just sad that in terms of payload / tow ratings, you can't rely on any dealer or sales person. When I shopped, I visited four dealers before ordering. Every single one of them would have sold me an inappropriate truck for the job had I not done my homework beforehand. I had to find all of the specs myself, the dealers were of absolutely NO help, I ended up educating THEM. Really. I heard a few outright funny things, for example: "tounge or pin weight does not count towards payload / GVWR". The guy was also very convinced about that. Pretty sad for somebody selling a truck if you ask me.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 Paint Defect!!!!!!!!!!