6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Smoke during "Cleaning exhaust filter"

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Madcap Magician
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke during "Cleaning exhaust filter"

If this is out there in the fourm sorry for the re-post but, I couldn't find my exact problem. About a week ago I noticed white smoke from my exhaust it was mid 30's in the morning and I had been driving for 15 minutes. The smoke lasted 45 seconds or so. It was in a "Cleaning exhaust filter" mode. Then the next day I noticed it on the way home and again the following morning both times it was "Cleaning exhaust filter" It has been cold 30-40 degrees everytime it has happened. The truck hasn't lost power and no engine lights have come on. The truck is a 2009 F-350 6.4 with 57000 miles bone stock. The fuel filter and oil filter are in mid life cycle. I have had to drain the water from the filter bowl about 3 months ago. Anyone else have this problem? I can take it to the dealer since the motor is still under warranty just didn't feel like wasting $160.00 bucks for them to tell me it's normal. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:46 PM
p8ntballn2
Senior User
its been posted a few times..... happened on mine around the same mileage when mine was stock, before i deleted the DPF... did it a few times... i've seen 2 trucks in my area in the last month doing the same thing.. white smoke out the tail pipe.. both the trucks looked to be stock with DPF in place.. Dealer will prob tell you its normal.. i dont know what causes it.. but it never affected the way my truck ran.. i got mine used with 50K on it.. i lasted about 9K miles with the DPF on, and i couldn't take it anymore.. so i deleted it.. best thing ive done to the truck so far..

Old 12-13-2011, 02:44 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeing a cloud of white smoke for a short period of time is normal in the beginning of the clean cycle. If your not driving enough to complete the cycle which can last between and 10-20 miles it will resume the cycle once the truck is started again. When my truck goes into the cycle I will go out of my way so it will finish before I shut it down. I have never seen any water in the separators of my 6.0 or 6.4 over the past several years.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Madcap Magician
If this is out there in the fourm sorry for the re-post but, I couldn't find my exact problem. About a week ago I noticed white smoke from my exhaust it was mid 30's in the morning and I had been driving for 15 minutes. The smoke lasted 45 seconds or so. It was in a "Cleaning exhaust filter" mode. Then the next day I noticed it on the way home and again the following morning both times it was "Cleaning exhaust filter" It has been cold 30-40 degrees everytime it has happened. The truck hasn't lost power and no engine lights have come on. The truck is a 2009 F-350 6.4 with 57000 miles bone stock. The fuel filter and oil filter are in mid life cycle. I have had to drain the water from the filter bowl about 3 months ago. Anyone else have this problem? I can take it to the dealer since the motor is still under warranty just didn't feel like wasting $160.00 bucks for them to tell me it's normal. Thanks in advance.
its normal especially the truck isn't up to operating temp...why would you have to pay $160 bucks?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:54 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowmans
why would you have to pay $160 bucks?
Deductible maybe?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:54 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
It's "normal" to belch smoke like that according to my dealer. Mine would belch a cloud for about a minute if I came to a stoplight and sat there long enough to let the exhaust cool down, esp on a cold day. Very repeatable. My theory is, the cat cools down enough where it can't completely burn all of the raw fuel being sent out when the engine thinks otherwise.

This once happened to me on a downhill stretch on I-80 coming down into Sacramento from Tahoe. It decided to go into regen after I crested the hill and I was belching smoke for over 25miles...all the way downhill. I don't think the exhaust ever got hot enough to do anything. So I finally made an excuse to stop for a pee-break just to shut regen off. Needless to say, my mpgs on that tank of fuel was nothing to brag about.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:30 PM
VolvDL
Freshman User
I have 83k on my 08 F350 and this has been happening every once in a while for me too. I find it happens a lot when I make a 2 hour run up the mountains on highway, then spend a good amount of time on dirt roads under 35mph. I feel like the truck wants to go into regen but can't due to slow speeds. So when I get back on the highway I go into Regen as expected, but I have a good amount of white smoke, which i assume is a buildup of soot in the filter that needs to be burned off.

So if you are parking before a regen finishes I would think you might have a similar buildup large enough to smoke whten the regen cycle starts again. My dealer will not do anything about my DPF and very frequent regens because no codes are being thrown.

Anybody in CO know where to find which counties do not require emissions tests? If I can register my truck in one of those counties I am deleting my DPF.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VolvDL
Anybody in CO know where to find which counties do not require emissions tests? If I can register my truck in one of those counties I am deleting my DPF.
Thats what I'm doing. Although I don't know where to find out which couties do or do not do emissions. I do know in Pitkin county they do not do it. Thats where I'm registering mine.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM
GMownernomore
New User
I've noticed white smoke from the tail pipe several times in one day. Usually lasts a few seconds then goes away. Many short city trips on my "08" F250 6.4. Currently has 41 k miles, Banks cold air intake and Banks exhaust. Dealer tells me it is normal when only driving short distances. He recommended a quick interstate run at least once a week to solve the problem. It does seem to help. Yesterday, when the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" light went out, my check engine light came on. This has happened once before. Pops code P2002 which leads the tech to a Ford service bulletin. All the bulletin says is to let the regen process complete before parking the vehicle. New update 2/22/12. My truck is at the dealership being fitted with fully stock intake and exhaust systems. It seems that when the Banks sytem was installed, the computer was programmed to accept it. Then at some point, two new batteries were installed which reset the computer to factory settings. The truck did not have a tuner in it when I purchased it. My main reason for the refit is that with the after market equipment installed, Ford would no longer honor the factory power train warranty. More to follow once I get the truck back on Friday.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
the more mositer in the air the greater the odds of seeing some whit smoke in regen/

Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM
markt1993
Junior User
Has anyone considered rather or not age and the amount of miles on the truck affect this? I have an '08, with 70,000 miles on the truck and do a pretty even split between city and highway driving. I feel that it normally does this when it's cold outside and the exhaust hasn't built up enough heat yet.
What I keep thinking about though is the fact that I never noticed the smoke until last year. And it seems to do it even more this year than last year.
It did it some when I first bought the truck, but then again that was before they update the computer and it would regen while it was parked.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:05 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by markt1993
Has anyone considered rather or not age and the amount of miles on the truck affect this? I have an '08, with 70,000 miles on the truck and do a pretty even split between city and highway driving. I feel that it normally does this when it's cold outside and the exhaust hasn't built up enough heat yet.
What I keep thinking about though is the fact that I never noticed the smoke until last year. And it seems to do it even more this year than last year.
It did it some when I first bought the truck, but then again that was before they update the computer and it would regen while it was parked.
you may need a charge air cooler if it has not been done. theres a tsb. read and see if it fits.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
don't think miles/hours on the motor has a thing to do whether you get smoke or not.

I live in a humid area, plenty of rain/snow and don't get it at all.

try the cac.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by senix
don't think miles/hours on the motor has a thing to do whether you get smoke or not.

I live in a humid area, plenty of rain/snow and don't get it at all.

try the cac.
its a pretty random thing some just do it a lot some never seem to.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 PM
foxtrk2
New User
ford has said ever since the re flash of the computers this smoke situation is 'normal' well im saying bull my 08 xlt 4x4 3/73 gears never did it before the reflash and after it was done it smoked so bad i was stopped for poluting and last oil change it had grown the oil to 17.5 qts so i said to another ford dealer this is all normal and traded it in on a new 6.7 just got it last thursday and love the differance in the truck if i were all you guys with th e6.4s id do the same i think ford is going to havea major problem with the 6.4 very soon

Quick Reply: Smoke during "Cleaning exhaust filter"