Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To install cab lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:40 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked up a cab harness for mine for $10 at the jy. Once I figured out how to get it to feed through it was easy

Old 04-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a single cab and my headliner is already out. Would it be an easier install than fishing through like the op? I'm still not sure if I wanna put these in or not.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:13 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Headliner make no difference in a reg cab

Old 04-27-2015, 06:26 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Headliner make no difference in a reg cab
That's what I thought bit figured I'd double check. Not sure if this is a project I wanna tackle any time soon.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:57 PM
rotzigen
New User
This topic comes up pretty often so I figured I would do How to since I was installing them on my 97. This is not for the faint of heart. You have to drill 15 holes
The harness is the same from the 70s-97, with the only differences being on the end where it plugs into the truck. I had a 89 harness so I had to change the plug at the end. NOT a big deal. The 70s-91 have one type of plug, the 92-97 have another. 92-97 have the power lug on the passenger side. 80-91 have the power plug on the drivers side. Adjust accordingly

First I will show you what the FACTORY cab holes looks like. The hole is big enough to put the entire socket thru it. and Ford uses the little speed clips for the attaching screws(not necessary)

Ok. 1st Tape off the general are where each light will go. The light is set back from the windshield trim 3 3/8" and they are evenly spaced out at 12".
Find the center of the roof and work your way out. Remember measure TWICE if need be. Then lay the lights on the roof and and back and look at them to make sure they look right. Do fine tuning as you see fit. I like to have them as close to factory as possible, all facing straight ahead. Some like to have them follow the arc of the roof.

Once you get them where your want them, mark your screw holes. Then remove the light and mark a spot of the wire to pass thru about dead center between the screw holes

Then get out your drill and drill away. Just drill thru the OUTER roof. DO NOT drill thru the inner roof. I use a 7/64" bit to drill all the holes. Then I come back with a UNI-BIT and open up the WIRE holes to 3/4".

Next up is fishing the wire thru the roof. Remove the passenger side sun visor. You will need to use the visor hole to fish the wire. The best way I have found to fish the wire is like so. Take a coat hanger and straighten it out and bend a SMALL loop on the end. The tire a good piece of string thru the loop.

Start on the drivers side and fish it in the 1st hole and try to get it out the middle hole. Once you get it out the middle hole pull the coat hanger completely out. then stick it back in the middle hole and try to get it out the far passenger side hole. Again, pull the coat hanger all the way out then stick it back in the far passenger side hole and thru the inside hole for the passenger visor.
Pull the coat hanger all the way out and untie the string. Tie the string onto the harness for the drivers side light(unplug all the 5 light sockets from the harness). If you left your self enough string you can have it come thru the drivers door and to the passenger side with the string. This will allow you to pull the string and feed the harness at the same time

Keep feeding the harness and pulling the string. Once the last cab light plug goes into the visor hole, the 1st cab light pug should hit a stopping point.
Then you need to get a pair of needle nose pliers to pull each connector from each hole

Now you need to fish the passenger side A pillar. Remove the Kick panel and A pillar cover.Again with the coat hanger and string. Start at the top in the visor hole and work the coat hanger down the A pillar. Once it is thru tie the other end of the string to the plug on the other end of the harness w a stopper knot and tape the dead so it will not get caught while pulling

it is a tight fit so just keep pulling and feeding at the same time. Once you get the head down to the kick panel you will need to plug it into the truck side harness. This plug

I had to modify my harness to fit the plug(because I had an older harness).
Plug in the 5 sockets for the cab lights and turn on your headlights. You SHOULD have lights.
Putting the cab lights on is pretty simple. The sockets are a 1/4 turn in to the lens and I use #8 stainless pan head screws a Neoprene washers to seal better. I also put silicone on the treads of each screw as well

Tighten the screws but DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN
There is no need for silicone on the cab light gasket, that will just make thing harder if.when a cab light burns out.
And there ya go. Cab lights 101

Hi diesel brad, i'm mike from germany, i saw your introduction for the cab lights and i feld in love with your cab visor (hope it is called cab visor). The thing in front of your cab lights over the wind shield
My question is can you tell me where i can get/ order it?
Does it fits on my 1990 F150 xlt lariat?

Kind regards,
Mike

Old 07-06-2015, 06:13 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rotzigen
Hi diesel brad, i'm mike from germany, i saw your introduction for the cab lights and i feld in love with your cab visor (hope it is called cab visor). The thing in front of your cab lights over the wind shield
My question is can you tell me where i can get/ order it?
Does it fits on my 1990 F150 xlt lariat?

Kind regards,
Mike
Mike, maybe I can chime in here. The cab visor is called a Lund Solar Visor. They stopped making them years back but you can find them on eBay. I believe our model # is FP2 and will fit the 80-96 model full size Ford pickups and Broncos.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-06-2015, 06:22 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
the one shown in the pic on Brads truck is (was,i should say) called the "sun visor".
you can also get them with built in lights.also made by lund.they call (called) that one the "moon visor" and it's part# is 19004
it's also discontinued.amazon does still show a pic for reference;

they can also be found on CL,ebay and your local swap and trade mags........well ok,probably not in Germany though lol.

i wish someone made black plastic or rubber grommets that would snap/fold around the factory cab light trim.i hate that cream.i'll remove them and paint them black but i fear the paint will flake off.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:11 PM
rotzigen
New User
Thank you guys for the fast answers.
Haa, that would be my second question if anybody tried to install build in lights in the the front of the visor.
This moon visor looks great. What would be a fair price for a used one if i can't find a new one?
In germany you find not sun visors like that especially with that shape because its not allowed to drive with it, but for older american cars you can get easier a special permit. It's very strictly in germany with custom design, every change on your car after the factory deliverence( other tire size, new rims, seats, engine modifications, exhoust, headlights..) needs a special permit and it costs a lot for each part and in most cases they say no and you are not allowed to drive in public, just for shows..
That's why we in german love to see what you do with your cars then in germany it would be impossible to do.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 PM
rotzigen
New User
FordF250HDXLT

You wrote this:
i wish someone made black plastic or rubber grommets that would snap/fold around the factory cab light trim.i hate that cream.i'll remove them and paint them black but i fear the paint will flake off.

I don't know if you know that but in germany it is very famous it is a liquid rubber and in most cases we use it to change the color of our rims and to protect them against stones..

Old 07-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Keystone Restyling bought out Lund. They sell visors for our trucks still. If you want to run the cab lights as well look up Keystone restyling part number 12159. $270 from Summit Racing.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:47 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Keystone Restyling now remakes the Lund visor # 12159
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kr...rd/model/f-250

Old 07-07-2015, 11:37 AM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Keystone Restyling now remakes the Lund visor # 12159
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kr...rd/model/f-250
When the hell did they start making these? I had to find a NOS one on ebay. But it still didn't cost me $270!

Old 07-07-2015, 04:12 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i thought the styling of Keystone Restyling wasn't as good as the original lund versions though? i thought i saw pics with someone with the keystones and it's just not like the lunds.i could be mistaken.there are lots of good used ones out there though.i found a really nice moon visor on CL for log truck for i can't remember now but either 50 or 75$ i think it was.from down in mass.he shipped it up to ME issue free for me.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:18 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
i thought the styling of Keystone Restyling wasn't as good as the original lund versions though? i thought i saw pics with someone with the keystones and it's just not like the lunds.i could be mistaken.there are lots of good used ones out there though.i found a really nice moon visor on CL for log truck for i can't remember now but either 50 or 75$ i think it was.from down in mass.he shipped it up to ME issue free for me.
Yeah you just have to be careful with some of the used ones because the fiberglass is in bad shape. Luckily I got mine brand new for 80 plus shipping

Old 07-08-2015, 03:49 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I don't really want to ruin this thread by discussing visors but Keystone bought Lund about ..... 5 years ago. And I guess there was enough demand so they started remaking them. That last new Lund one I bought was over $200 so the Key ones are right in line with pricing

Quick Reply: How-To install cab lights