Running multiple cameras

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Jammin1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running multiple cameras

I would like to expand my backup camera set up to multiple cameras using the upfitter switches. I am sure it is possible using relays but dont know how to do it. Heres what I am looking to do

1) Backup camera A on truck works when truck is put into reverse
2) When upfitter switch is turned on backup camera A is disabled and backup camera B is used that is on trailer. Truck does not need to be in rev. for this camera to operate.

Both cameras video is feed to the backup screen in truck on the same video line using a RCA Y connector. Any help would be good

Old 12-12-2011, 01:11 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you need to use the upfitter switches if you have the right monitor.

I have a small (3"?) monitor I have mounted on my roof console. It has 2 inputs...one comes up all the time, the other comes up when there is a signal applied.

If your monitor has 2 inputs, see if it has 'auto switching'...if it does, run your reverse truck cam on the input that activates or overrides when a signal is applied. Run your trailer cam to the "always on" input.

If you have only one input, the question would be back to your monitor...does it show a blue screen with no input, or is it an auto-power-on?

The Y connector would be used, but the switch would need to turn on the monitor and turn the truck mounted camera off. A good three position switch (on-off-on) would work...one of the "on" positions would be the power for your truck mounted cam and the monitor, the other would be for the trailer mounted cam and the monitor. You'd want to have your trailer mounted cam run off of the power pin from your truck (assuming you have a 7 pin connector).

I had a similar setup but it controlled my trailer lights - one "on" setting had the lights come on with the reverse lights - the other "on" setting was an always-on setting.