1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Driving Ford Ranger in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 PM
MisterRanger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Ford Ranger in the snow

Any tips on driving on snow? I know this might sound dumb, but this is my very first winter driving and it is with a powerful truck. It has the 6 cylinder 4.0 liters.

I already put 400 lbs (6 sand bags). in the back with BF Goodrich Slalom tires. Doesn't seem to help much when I give gas. I came back from my friend's house and drifted all the way home.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Practice, practice, practice...

Find yourself an empty parking lot somewhere and get familiar with the way your truck acts on a slick surface.

Just remember, if your on ice, it doesn't matter what tires you have or how much weight you're carrying, you will slide - the best defense is familiarity with your truck. With snow, there's something there for the tires to bite into.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 PM
grandmas77f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"powerful truck" lmao

Just take it slow, prolly through a couple more sandbags in the bed. Be really slow on the gas, that will keep you from spinning

Old 12-09-2011, 05:02 AM
michigan66
Posting Guru
In addition to the suggestions of the previous posters, you may want to get a set of winter tires. They will help you with better grip on snow.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 AM
grumpy hvacr
Senior User
In addition to what others have said, when driving in the snow, try to keep from having to stop and start.

I find that if I can keep the truck rolling, even if it is very slow, I have less problems vs. stopping and starting. As far as not spinning the tires, at least with my truck, it just happens.

Anymore, if there is that much snow out, I just stay in (or wait until the roads have been cleared). With my luck, some knucklehead would crash into me and I wouldn't have a truck anymore.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 AM
MisterRanger
Senior User
Thanks for the help guys!

I already have good winter tires. They are BF GoodRich Slalom. That is what people recommended me.

I guess I'll get a few more sand bags and place them on the axle instead.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Ruffinit
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the snow is too bad or it's icy out, put chains on.. They work. Drive a bit slower and give yourself room to stop. Exageration in every move you make. Remember that even though you have traction to get moving, you have less traction to get stopped. If it's an automatic, put it in neutral to get it stopped. That way you are not trying to overcome rolling force and the residual push from the rear wheels.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by MisterRanger
Thanks for the help guys!

I already have good winter tires. They are BF GoodRich Slalom. That is what people recommended me.

I guess I'll get a few more sand bags and place them on the axle instead.
............a LS or a locker would make a big difference if you don't have one already......

Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sand bags should be evenly distributed over the rear wheels,
Do you have a regular cab and manual trans? That combo is loosie goosie anyway.

Keep is slow on the slick parts, get a 4wd for winter.

Just my thoughts.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
If your winter tires aren't giving you enough traction, look into getting a pair of cable tire "chains." They aren't all that expensive - around $30 US. They will help on the accereration side, but may not give you a great deal of help on the braking side. Both depend on how hard or easy you are on either the gas pedal or the brake pedal.

FuryUS1's suggestion of spending some time in an open parking lot that has some snow on it and practice starting, stopping, and turning. Try it with geentle moves and gradually increase the intensity of the starts and stops until you learn how your truck handles.

Also, be careful on how much weight you put in the bed and that you keep it on or in front of the rear axle. Too much weight too far back will cause to rear end to break loose and turn you end for end.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by michigan66
FuryUS1's suggestion of spending some time in an open parking lot that has some snow on it and practice starting, stopping, and turning. Try it with geentle moves and gradually increase the intensity of the starts and stops until you learn how your truck handles.
... and make sure there aren't any light poles in the way.

I might have forgotten to do that once or twice...

Old 12-10-2011, 04:42 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
Use slight throttle input and back off it to help it slow down . Use throttle to straighten it out if making a turn and it starts to slide.( Practice that move in the open parking lot). Increase the stopping distance in front of you . Keep the sand bags directly over axle as suggested ( build a wooden frame to help wedge them in that spot if they shift around). If your tires are new and have holes for studs and are allowed in your state consider them. If you get into a situation where you are about to glide through an intersection (or into the vehicle ahead) put it into neutral.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Learn to feather the throttle & try taking off in 2nd if you have an auto tranny. Lay back on hills to let traffic go so you won't have to stop on the ay up, then get a running start at a hill in second gear & keep your speed up to the top. Let traffic clear the hill to the bottom before you start down.

If you find yourself on a banked turn, ride the high side shoulder with the right wheel in the gravels, as it'll keep you in your lane & provide some breaking if you need it.

Spinning wheels make ice under the tires & pack the tread with snow, neither of which helps with traction.

Roger D on finding an empty parking lot & away from light poles to practice handeling. Did this with the Daughter one snowy evening years ago when she was learning to drive her 77 Celica 5spd. After about an hour in the parking lot learning how to feather the throttle to take off, stop, steer in turns, correct for spins I put her into, we went for a drive through the city. She's never been afraid of the snow since, as she knows what starting, stopping, turning, & spinouts feel like when they're about to happen & what to do to correct for it.

Good idea to put sand bag weight in the bed, add a shovel so you can use it & the sand to get yourself unstuck should it happen.

More thoughts for consideration.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by grandmas77f150
"powerful truck" lmao

Just take it slow, prolly through a couple more sandbags in the bed. Be really slow on the gas, that will keep you from spinning
Ever driven a old Courier, Datsun, or yota truck?............A 4.0 Ranger is like a F-150 lightning in comparison to those oldies.
Slow and steady, good snow tires and weight in the bed..........you will be fine.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:45 PM
grandmas77f150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Ever driven a old Courier, Datsun, or yota truck?............A 4.0 Ranger is like a F-150 lightning in comparison to those oldies.
Slow and steady, good snow tires and weight in the bed..........you will be fine.
I have driven old underpowered vehicles before, this is the first time I've seen a stock powertrain Ranger referenced as powerful

Quick Reply: Driving Ford Ranger in the snow