Sponsored by: DP Tuner

X Code Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 AM
throwdown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X Code Question

I am replacing my worn out V code springs with new Ford X code springs this afternoon. My question is, and believe me I have searched and researched this forum for the answer, should I install an adjustable track bar with the swap? An alignment is a given, but will the change be significant enough to warrant a new track bar?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Patrick.

Roland and I changed my springs to X-codes last year or the year before. lol. They were not hard to change out. They lifted my truck about 1 1/2" once we got them on. I didn't change the track bar when I did mine. I don't see a reason to.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 AM
throwdown
Senior User
That's what I wanted to hear. If it ain't broke....................
Thanks

Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

You are very welcome.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would it be possable when you are done to measure from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame? I may be looking to put x codes on mine and would like to know exactly how much lift they would give me. Thank You!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 PM
throwdown
Senior User
I haven't forgotten you, CC turbo. I'm in the middle of it now and I will measure for you at the end of the project. I referenced from the bottom of the fender to the center of the hub for my information, but I can measure both ways if it will help. I hope this fixes that god awful spring squeak as well.
Later.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Cool thanks. I knew I asked someone about that measurement but couldn't remember who. I am waiting for my c code rear dually springs from ford, should be here by Thursday, can't wait to see how much extra height I get from them.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
Would it be possable when you are done to measure from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame? I may be looking to put x codes on mine and would like to know exactly how much lift they would give me. Thank You!
Originally Posted by throwdown
I haven't forgotten you, CC turbo. I'm in the middle of it now and I will measure for you at the end of the project. I referenced from the bottom of the fender to the center of the hub for my information, but I can measure both ways if it will help. I hope this fixes that god awful spring squeak as well.
Later.
I'm sure the dually will be different then the F-250 in height. I wouldn't count on the X-springs adding height to your truck. The 1 1/2" height I got out of them was from what I lost with my V-springs being on my truck for many years. They are not to add height, but to add strength.

Let us know if you feel a difference with the X codes. I didn't really feel any difference.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hope this fixes that god awful spring squeak as well.
Later.
That "god awful spring squeak" was probably from worn spring tip isolators.

Do the new X codes have spring tip isolators? TSB 99-16-3 New Part #1C3Z-5B302-AA TSB was for 99 models but holds true for later years.

Pics by high ho silver

Old 12-06-2011, 04:19 PM
throwdown
Senior User
Yes, the new springs do have the isolators.
CC Turbo...I was able to measure from the top of the spring block to the bottom of the frame. It is 5.5 inches. Doesn't seem like much after having so many lifted trucks in the past.

I was able to gain about 1.25 inches of height. I was hoping for a little more, but it is what it is.
The odd thing is that it is about .75 inch off from side to side. The drivers side being lower by .75 inch. It was the same difference before the change.
Anyway thanks for the help, and I hope the measurements are what you are looking for.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Mines just under 3/4" lower on drivers side too! I have lifted springs. Wierd? I just measured mine and it is 8 1/2" don't think I want to go that low. How do the new springs drive? Not too stiff? No more squeaks?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 PM
throwdown
Senior User
That will be tomorrows chore. I just pulled the ribs from the smoker and I need to warm up a bit....remember, I don't have a shop, I've been laying in my wet driveway putting these things in.
I'm too old for this crap. I will let you know more tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are these the right ones for my 99 F450 it has a nasty squeak, i know it needs new swaybar parts I was changing the oil the other day and looked at the front spring ends and pushed on a piece that was sticking out of the bottom of the spring near the end and the center of one of the isolators fell out.

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
That "god awful spring squeak" was probably from worn spring tip isolators.

Do the new X codes have spring tip isolators? TSB 99-16-3 New Part #1C3Z-5B302-AA TSB was for 99 models but holds true for later years.

Pics by high ho silver

Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I am replacing my worn out V code springs with new Ford X code springs this afternoon.
Would you mind please posting the Ford part numbers for the X-code springs when you get them?

Thanks!

Stewart

Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM
throwdown
Senior User
The Ford # for my 2001, F350 is...2C3Z 5310 AF.
That being said...I am in Canada and I do not know if they are different than the US.
I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: X Code Question