6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Where can coolant go????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:46 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Where can coolant go????

I think I'm losing a little coolant. maybe 6 ounces in a 1000 miles. So what are the possibilities?

Radiator.. No coolant on floor and no signs of leaks at rad or hoses.

egr cooler.. No signs of coolant in oil, last OA was normal, dip stick looks water free.

Pin hole in water pump... No water in oil, nitrates are fine, checked last night. Coolant has never been below "cold full" line.

HG failure, no white exhaust, no water in oil. No coolant oder.

Is it just using coolant at a level where I'm not gonna be able to detect the problem until it gets worse? What am I missing? Hate to pay for a pressure check if it's not gonna tell me anything. I'm open for suggestions.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With all the leaks I have had rarely was there any evidence of it, think it evaporates when he engine is hot and then doesn't leak when it is off. First one I smelled long before there were any puddles, that was the EGR when that happened. Should be able to take it in, tell them it is eating some and they will pressure test it under warranty.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:11 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I had coolant disappearing and took it in.

Turned out to be the rad hose at the engine, so it leaked and evaporated on the hot engine.

I was very confused also, no drips, no white exhaust, etc.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:09 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I'd check those radiator hoses at the engine side of the connection.

You need to shine a flashlight around the connections and look for white splatter.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
After my hose experience I'd want pictures and want to come physically see the leak before they pull the hoses if that does happen to be the problem.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by galaxie641
After my hose experience I'd want pictures and want to come physically see the leak before they pull the hoses if that does happen to be the problem.
Is it yours where they forgot to top off the coolant and you ended up with a lot of expense?

Old 12-04-2011, 05:47 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by parkland

Turned out to be the rad hose at the engine, so it leaked and evaporated on the hot engine.

You couldn't smell it?

Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
With all the leaks I have had rarely was there any evidence of it, think it evaporates when he engine is hot and then doesn't leak when it is off. First one I smelled long before there were any puddles, that was the EGR when that happened. Should be able to take it in, tell them it is eating some and they will pressure test it under warranty.
I'm out of warranty unless the T-stats are bad (I think), and I won't know that until after the test. Anybody with a pressure pump can do the teat right? It either holds or it doesn't. The trick is figuring out why it's not holding. Isn't that how it works?

Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by senix
I'd check those radiator hoses at the engine side of the connection.

You need to shine a flashlight around the connections and look for white splatter.
OK, I'll give that a closer look in the morning. Don't you think I should be smelling it if there is an external leak?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM
mangymarmot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland

Ditto on Parkland's experience. I couldn't find any signs or smells of a leak before the fix. The coolant level stays exactly the same now after the hose replacement.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a really slow loss of coolant too; first time at dealer they pressure test and found nothing. Second time they tell me it is my radiator; I had looked it over myself top to bottom, etc and never seen any evidence of a leak. I declined replacement as said out of warranty; but on way home I get reduced power, etc. from the new flash at same service. Short story, the code is for hyper extended thermostats; which made the radiator under warranty.

Well I still have the same slow leak. I also have no signs of coolant in oil analysis but I have elevated potassium which can be an indication of coolant; typically after it has evaporated in the EGR flow. So maybe I have a leaking EGR valve (mine has coolant lines) or worse a leaking EGR cooler(s)?

I also have black exhaust tips. Probably cracked.

I take pictures of my degas bottle and odometer ever so often to document the level. I will try to get this resolved at dealer again; but, if I don't get to bottom of real issue then I will get rid of my truck. Metal wear on oil analysis is also too high.

My coolant loss is greater when towing heavy.

So how are your potassium levels in your oil analysis?
Do you have the EGR valve with coolant lines?

Check out this you tube video, note at 1:35 play time.....
6.4 Liter Ford Powerstroke - Coolant Leaks Points - Radiator Removal - YouTube

mine is not this bad but there is some residue under the sensor

Bob

Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Is it yours where they forgot to top off the coolant and you ended up with a lot of expense?
No, mine had the cab off twice in about 15 months and then the hoses mysteriously started leaking conveniently in the middle, not at the O rings, and therefore were not covered under warranty. Nor was removing the cab twice in that period detrimental at all to the hose life according to the dealer.

My fault for not asking for the old parts and not making sure where the leak was when they found it, complaining after the fact turned out to be pointless, although I learned what dealer not to deal with again.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
I have a really slow loss of coolant too; first time at dealer they pressure test and found nothing. Second time they tell me it is my radiator; I had looked it over myself top to bottom, etc and never seen any evidence of a leak. I declined replacement as said out of warranty; but on way home I get reduced power, etc. from the new flash at same service. Short story, the code is for hyper extended thermostats; which made the radiator under warranty.

Well I still have the same slow leak. I also have no signs of coolant in oil analysis but I have elevated potassium which can be an indication of coolant; typically after it has evaporated in the EGR flow. So maybe I have a leaking EGR valve (mine has coolant lines) or worse a leaking EGR cooler(s)?

I also have black exhaust tips. Probably cracked.

I take pictures of my degas bottle and odometer ever so often to document the level. I will try to get this resolved at dealer again; but, if I don't get to bottom of real issue then I will get rid of my truck. Metal wear on oil analysis is also too high.

My coolant loss is greater when towing heavy.

So how are your potassium levels in your oil analysis?
Do you have the EGR valve with coolant lines?

Check out this you tube video, note at 1:35 play time.....
6.4 Liter Ford Powerstroke - Coolant Leaks Points - Radiator Removal - YouTube

mine is not this bad but there is some residue under the sensor

Bob
Had one check with high potassium, but that was 18 months ago. Last two reports have been good, 3 and 4 units. Unsure of what you mean by EGR coolant lines. My trucks a job one so if it's a bad thing I probably have them. All I see is a vertical and a horizontal cooler that looks like it was made in a high school shop class. I'll look for lines later today. If the EGR is leaking that would be internal right, I would not see any evidence of it except white exhaust and the loss of coolant, right?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
No, mine had the cab off twice in about 15 months and then the hoses mysteriously started leaking conveniently in the middle, not at the O rings, and therefore were not covered under warranty. Nor was removing the cab twice in that period detrimental at all to the hose life according to the dealer.

My fault for not asking for the old parts and not making sure where the leak was when they found it, complaining after the fact turned out to be pointless, although I learned what dealer not to deal with again.
Ouch, I'm sure that wasn't cheap. I don't go to the dealer much but I've had a 10 year relationship with mine and it's always been satisfactory. They have a seperate truck lot and sell a lot of trucks and I think that helps.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
When my upper radiator hose leaked I did not smell coolant. I discovered it at a fuel stop when I popped the hood. Even hot the level was not where I usually see it. It was down to the min level line. That was when I started searching for the leak. Took me a few days to figure out it was the upper hose.

Quick Reply: Where can coolant go????