6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM-V & Battery Voltage Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FICM-V & Battery Voltage Question

This is my 1st diesel & i have a couple questions:
First off i installed a S&B cold-air intake, MBRP dual exhaust & an Edge CS dash mounted programmer.

The other morning when i started the truck (engine was oddly chuggin) & my Edge CS controller started beeping & a warning came up showing that the FICM-V was low (got as low as 40v) every time it fluctuated above 42v it would quit so apperantly it only gets mad if it drops below 42v.
With the way the engine was runnin i assume FICM-V means "fuel injection control module voltage" & that threshold was too low. I should also say that i monitered my Battery Voltage & it never gets above 13.7 volts while driving or not (i believe this should be over 14 right). Another thing i noticed is the batterys are mis-matched (one is alot smaller than the other).

I have heard that batterys have to be Large & Match in a Diesel, so are my batteries causing me troubles??

Note: after this ruff idle'n start i shut engine off after like 10 sec (because of ruff idle/warning) & put a battery charger on truck, then restarted engine awhile later & it purred as normal

Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Your batteries should match. The stock batteries are 750CCA, which should be fine. Your battery voltage readings are OK, however. Mine initially runs up to 14.1 sometimes when it's charging, but then generally runs between 13.2-13.7.

The FICM is the Fuel Injector Control Module. It takes battery voltage and makes 48 volts to drive the fuel injectors. Anything less than 45 volts is considered out of spec and will eventually damage the injectors.

It would be worthwhile to monitor the battery voltage at one of the batteries with a DVOM before you turn the key on, while waiting for the glow plug light to go out, while cranking, after starting and after the glow plugs themselves turn off. This would give you a pretty good idea of your battery and charging system health. I can't seem to those numbers, but if you post them up someone will tell you if they are OK or not.

Having said all that, however, I would be prepared to replace the FICM. This is a pretty common issue. There are also a couple of very good repair places that I'm sure someone will post about soon as well.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:48 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

P.S. Forgot to mention. Check all of the battery connections and the battery ground to block and frame connections over carefully for any corrosion, rust, etc. and repair as necessary.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Thanks for the info....I just spent quite some time online trying to learn about these. I have also watched videos on "you-tube" of failed FICMs & my problem is no where close to those YET but i fear u are right.
The low battery voltage i have @ initial start-up (appx 11.6v) is bothering me though & tomorrow i intend on having the batteries load-tested & i think i will un-hook them tomorrow night (checking voltage right away & then again the next day) to see if the batteries may just be losing a charge after sitting which in turn is causing low FICM volts during start-up.
Because after driving it around today (had shopping to do out of town) it acted perfectly, once those FICM & Battery volts came up after initial start-up.

P.S...Battery volt's did hit as high as 14.2 a couple times very briefly today while driving but it seem's to like to hover
around 13.5-13.8 *its that initial start-up of only 11 range that has me blaming batteries*

Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Just thinkin....I powerwashed the engine @ carwash a couple weeks ago, is it possible i damaged the FICM doing that ??

I would think that Ford would've designed it to withstand water entry being mounted outside under the hood OR
is washing your diesel engine a big no-no ??

As far as batteries go are there any specific recomendation's for replacement ??

Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

11.6 at start up is pretty good. At that point the alternator hasn't started up yet and everything is running on batteries. Your FICM voltage of 40 is not good. You will eventually take out your injectors if you don't get that fixed.

Personally I'm not in favor of power washing the engine. The FICM should be immune to water intrusion but the connectors may not be. And all the other connectors in there. You might need to disconnect them and inspect them, clean and re apply a dialectric grease and put it back together.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I can't say if your batteries are good or bad. But your FICM problem is not related to your battery voltage.

You have a bad FICM.

Your Insight has adjustable alert levels, and you should adjust your FICM alert to 45 volts. Anything less than 45 and you want to be alerted.

You can further check your FICM condition. First thing in the morning when your engine is cold, turn your key to the ON position, and let your Insight boot up. You might need to hit the ENTER button to force it to come on. Look at your FICM voltage. It might be around 48 volts. Then start the engine while watching FICM voltage. If it dips to less than 45 volts after starting, that is because it is pushing voltage into the injector coils to warm them. At this point your FICM is supplying the highest current than at any other time, and weak FICM will show up at this time. As your engine oil temp increases, the FICM will reduce the current to the injectors, and the voltage may creep back up to 48, or it might not. Either way, your FICM is on its last legs, and you need to have it rebuilt to prevent damage to your injectors.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Thanks Bill & David for your help, i guess i need to start looking for a new FICM
Is there somewhere u all recommend to get it??
Also iam seeing "stock" (48v) & "hd" (58v) versions, is the hot 58v better to buy (my truck only has slight mod's) ??

BTW: Bill u are exactly right about how the FICM acts in the morning & creeping back up (i will set the CS alert to 45 now). Also i had the batteries checked by Dealer today & even though they are slightly mis-matched (785/850), they both had over 100% cca's but during 1 of the tests my alternator showed "open diode" which was strange since its damn near new, maybe just a fluke i guess....

Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 06' six-O was acting up when cold starting,,,rough running, slight skip taking off,,,checked the FICM Voltage, as in the 6.0 Tech Folder,,yep it was low,,called around to local Auto Recycler's, found a used FICM,,$300 garanteed, installed it, truck runs Great so far, over 1k miles now since the change out,,,will be sending out my original to be re-worked when I can.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:04 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by 06_KingRanch
Thanks Bill & David for your help, i guess i need to start looking for a new FICM
Is there somewhere u all recommend to get it??
Also iam seeing "stock" (48v) & "hd" (58v) versions, is the hot 58v better to buy (my truck only has slight mod's) ??
I would ask these questions in the 6.0L Diesel forum. There are more people there that are familiar with this engine.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Thanks everyone for advice & for moving where i can possibly get more answers....

Alright 6.0 guru's apparently my FICM is weak so iam wondering where u all recommend getting a replacement??

Also i see there is a "stock" 48v version & a "hot" 58v version, is the "hot" version for modified trucks OR is it just better suited in colder areas (not sure if the "hot" referes to additional fuel or heating of engine oil)??
My truck currently only has a ColdAir intake, Dual MBRP exhaust, BlueSpring up-grade & Edge Evo CS Programmer.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 06_KingRanch
Thanks everyone for advice & for moving where i can possibly get more answers....

Alright 6.0 guru's apparently my FICM is weak so iam wondering where u alil recommend getting a replacement??

Also i see there is a "stock" 48v version & a "hot" 58v version, is the "hot" version for modified trucks OR is it just better suited in colder areas (not sure if the "hot" referes to additional fuel or heating of engine oil)??
My truck currently only has a ColdAir intake, Dual MBRP exhaust, BlueSpring up-grade & Edge Evo CS Programmer.
I highly recommend Ed @ ficmrepair.com. I would also recommend overnight delivery both ways, unless you are in no hurry to get it back... Ed has a speedy turn around, but USPS does not. Expect a week otherwise.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shaneb75
I highly recommend Ed @ ficmrepair.com. I would also recommend overnight delivery both ways, unless you are in no hurry to get it back... Ed has a speedy turn around, but USPS does not. Expect a week otherwise.
I agree, Ed has a great reputation for repair service and also customer service. He overnighted me a FICM when i was traveling and i received it the next day.
Ed can answer any questions you have about your FICM and you'll make a new freind at the same time.
Also if you can get by with a little down time with your truck have your FICM repaired as it has the correct tune to match your truck.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
According to Ford, in TSB 09-24-03 (FICM Test Procedure) Battery voltage should not drop below 10.25 for more than 60 seconds, or 9.0 for 4 seconds during cranking/starting.

Quick Reply: FICM-V & Battery Voltage Question