6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Tuner/Chip Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM
mtnxtreme800
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Tuner/Chip Advice

What is a good tuner /chip for the 6.0? Look at the truck in my sig and you'll see what I've done to it, don't want to get crazy,hopefully the mods I've done will make it reliable with a little tune, want just a little extra juice for pulling a trailer up long mountain grades when needed. With all I've done if I go with a tuner do I still need to do the head studs, are they a must? I had a Tony Wildman set up on my 7.3 had stock, hi- idle, 25 hp, 50 hp, 75 hp settings, don't know if that set up is available for 6.0 or if it's too much, not compatible with these motors, but it worked nice, I'm sure the new owner is enjoying it too!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Still have the SCT tuner from my '05 6.0 that had ARP studs. I would not recommend towing with a tune and no studs, but that's just my opinion.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 AM
mtnxtreme800
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kep4
Still have the SCT tuner from my '05 6.0 that had ARP studs. I would not recommend towing with a tune and no studs, but that's just my opinion.
What kind of settings did the SCT have, were you able to do adjustments on the flow like the old Wildman setups?
I have it all apart now doing the oil EGR cooler delete, so the intake is off, can I just pull the valve covers and swap out my studs or do I have to do head gaskets too.
Is there a minimum I can hit it with, without studs?

Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will be a lot of people that will disagree with me on this, but I have a BullyDog Gt tuner. It is one of the gause tuner types, so I can monitor my ECT, EOT, trans, pyro, ect with it. It has the shift on the fly, which is why most wont recommended them for the 6.0, but I leave it on the performance setting all the time. The reason changing the power settings is bad on the 6.0 is that it confuses the transmission because it is constantly learning your driving styles, and changing the power instantaneously doesn't make them happy.

The reason I like the BD over the SCT that everyone suggests is that the guages are included, and I really like the fact I can set defuel levels. I have it set so that if it gets over my set psi, ect, eot, pyro, or trans temp it will immediately defuel the engine to keep it below the settings I choose.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:38 PM
mtnxtreme800
Senior User
So basically you can mount it like a Scan Gauge, watch it and also use it as a tuner? I really don't need shift on the fly, I was more suggesting that, I liked the old 7.3 tuners you mounted up and could just say, stop and change the setting, whereas the SCT looks like you have to plug it in every time to change the settings, correct? How much did it run you?

Old 12-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link

Bully Dog 40420 Triple Dog GT Diesel for Dodge, Ford & GM

also, h&s performance uses the same unit with the possibility of an egr delete tune, but it's a lot more money.

Mini Maxx W/O Pyrometer Connection

They both use an add on sending unit you can buy separate for up to two pyros.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 AM
ramsay
Senior User
I really like my Edge Evolution. It can be used as gauges to monitor up to 4 functions, as well as a 5 tune tuner. I leave mine on #3 (80 hp tow) all the time. I plan on sending it to powerhungryperformance.com and have some custom tunes written at some point, but am pretty happy with it overall. It has transmission tuning as well, so don't worry about it taking out your transmission.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:28 AM
mtnxtreme800
Senior User
I didn't realize that the tuners also did gauges, I blew $200 on a Scan Gauge, could have spent a little more and gotten something with tunes. Whats the cheapest tuner you can buy that also does gauges, what's the difference between Edge,and SCT gauges?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM
BLK-PRL
New User
Cheapest is not always best but all I'm familiar is the Edge Evolution like Ramsay.
It sure wakes her up boy, I really like it for all it can do and how it makes her perform.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ramsay
I really like my Edge Evolution. It can be used as gauges to monitor up to 4 functions, as well as a 5 tune tuner. I leave mine on #3 (80 hp tow) all the time. I plan on sending it to powerhungryperformance.com and have some custom tunes written at some point, but am pretty happy with it overall. It has transmission tuning as well, so don't worry about it taking out your transmission.
I have the same, and will be calling PHP very soon, but if you beat me to it, let me know how it works out/performs

Old 12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
mtnxtreme800
Senior User
So the Edge and the SCT can be custom tuned, and only the Edge has gauges. Looks like the Edge can be dash mounted, how do you tune it, pull over, change settings, and drive off. What abt. the SCT, looks like it cannot be dash mounted so I'm assuming you have to pull over when you need it or tune it before towing etc. then unplug it and throw it in the glove?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:37 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme800
So the Edge and the SCT can be custom tuned, and only the Edge has gauges. Looks like the Edge can be dash mounted, how do you tune it, pull over, change settings, and drive off. What abt. the SCT, looks like it cannot be dash mounted so I'm assuming you have to pull over when you need it or tune it before towing etc. then unplug it and throw it in the glove?
Yepp, both of them when you got to change tune settings you have to shut the truck off.

I like my edge its small and looks good tucked in the corner of my dash...

The SCT livewire has gauges also, but its a BIG unit and wouldn't look good sitting on a dash

Old 12-03-2011, 11:00 AM
mtnxtreme800
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
Yepp, both of them when you got to change tune settings you have to shut the truck off.

I like my edge its small and looks good tucked in the corner of my dash...

The SCT livewire has gauges also, but its a BIG unit and wouldn't look good sitting on a dash
OK, I see you have to turn the truck off, thats what i was trying to figure out. I see the Edge CT, CTS, Evolution and Juice with Attitude, whats the differences?

Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM
ramsay
Senior User
Originally Posted by mtnxtreme800
OK, I see you have to turn the truck off, thats what i was trying to figure out. I see the Edge CT, CTS, Evolution and Juice with Attitude, whats the differences?
The Juice with Attitude is the one that I hear a lot of complaining about due to tranny issues that is perportedly causes. I have no experience with it. CS is colour screen and CTS is colour touch screen. I don't know if the tunes are the same or not but I would presume that they are....

Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kert0307
There will be a lot of people that will disagree with me on this, but I have a BullyDog Gt tuner. It is one of the gause tuner types, so I can monitor my ECT, EOT, trans, pyro, ect with it. It has the shift on the fly, which is why most wont recommended them for the 6.0, but I leave it on the performance setting all the time. The reason changing the power settings is bad on the 6.0 is that it confuses the transmission because it is constantly learning your driving styles, and changing the power instantaneously doesn't make them happy.

The reason I like the BD over the SCT that everyone suggests is that the guages are included, and I really like the fact I can set defuel levels. I have it set so that if it gets over my set psi, ect, eot, pyro, or trans temp it will immediately defuel the engine to keep it below the settings I choose.
Given that if I recall correctly you are in BD territory, I'm not surprised that you went with them. However, think of this, I came from a BD product (triple dog), will not be going back. My truck "hated" the performance and extreme tuning. Didn't act right one bit.

Now, some people may not ever have problems with the shift on the fly tuners, but it appears that I'm seeing more people that are complaining (not just on this site, but people I know personally) about them and given my direct experience with shift on the fly, I wouldn't recommend them.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Tuner/Chip Advice