1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

HID conversion for bullnose trucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
351M
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I was just wondering if they were the ones with what amounts to a magnifying lens in front of the bulb.

For projectors, other then sourcing at yard for a factory setup DHGate might have something...

Wholesale Hid Projector Kit - Buy China Wholesale Hid Projector Kit from Chinese Wholesalers | DHgate.com

Old 01-23-2012, 05:39 PM
kenball1980
New User
00Boss, Where I cut the housing came right through the middle of the hole for the city light, so after I installed the projector, I just epoxy/siliconed over the rest of the hole. When I originally bought that headlight assembly, I had the city lights wired into my front marker lights, it looked kind of cool (not very bright at all) but I was worried about getting pulled over for it so I disconnected them, leaving the bulb and grommet in to keep it sealed. I was considering the mini Morimo Bixenon H1 projectors, because they say they are very compact and fit nearly any housing without having to cut much. But I decided to go with bigger ones to get a wider, brighter beam. Something like these,

D4S D2S 2.8" MINI BI-XENON PROJECTORS HID RETROFIT Bi Xenon Projector Shrouds | eBay

Good luck, if you decide to retrofit, I got allot of great tips from hidplanet.com or I could help you out.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 PM
00Boss
Elder User
351M Yeah, that is bout what they are.
Thanks kenball,Ill check them out.
I wired up one of the headlights and saw a HUGE difference from stock. I didnt road test it cause I only installed one headlight but I will have to get the pics up soon.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are you powering the bulbs? Are they running off the factory wiring or are you running relays, or what?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 PM
kenball1980
New User
I will post some pics too, I have them aimed really low right now because of sitting up higher that most vehicles. I don't want to blind oncoming traffic, or shine them in someones rearveiw. The only thing I wish I would have done differently is get a set of auto leveling projectors, because when I hit a bump or going up a hill, my beams go real high.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:27 PM
F250HD Custom
Freshman User
Guys, you sure go to a lot of trouble just to make every other driver on the road Hate Your Guts.......

If you want brighter than stock, get Driving Lights you can toggle on or off, or hook direct to your High Beams with a relay so they drop when you go to low beam. HIDs are flatly offensive - to everyone else. You don't notice this??

HID lights should be illegal - they only exist because the old system of rating lights used watts - Not Output in Lumens. So a 35 watt HID is way brighter than the human eye can stand. Yet they are allowed because they are "only 35 Watts". The law needs to catch up - and I am recommending to my state legislators that they take action to remove this hazard from the road.

I agree with the earlier mention that some of us reserve the right to take a tire iron to obnoxious lights. You need to think of all those "other someones" on the road besides yourself - all of whom you are blinding, even on low beam. Go with Lightforce or other Auxilary lights - and run your stock lighting when in traffic with your fellow drivers. It was designed to the limits of the human eyeball - which has not changed to accomodate newer technology, by the way.

You look into the next set of HIDs coming at you at night and try and tell yourself "this is just fine"....... HIDs are a road hazard.

Flamesuit on! F250HD

Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Every forum I'm on has these threads about HID's

The point is they don't HAVE to be obnoxious and blinding, IF they are done right.
Ricer punks and those too cheap -or stupid- to do it right ARE a hazard.

Can I get away with driving the garbage truck through them and telling the cop I was blinded by their illegal lighting???

Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
I don't understand the big trend to swap to those lights. Yea they're brighter but they're also brighter to oncoming traffic. Are people so blind now days that they need them, or is it just what the "kool kids" do? I've got over 2.5 million miles under my belt and have never had a need for them. I do have fog lights but they are for adverse weather or spotting deer on the shoulders, and I turn them off when oncoming traffic is present.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Maybe I live in the woods but around here I never see HIDs that are blinding. I see alot of cars with projector lenses and some with bluish-white lights, but they aren't so bright that I can't handle it.

Right now I have a set of Silverstars temporarily on my truck, and with the LMC headlight relay kit, they are more than bright enough. The light color is close to HID color (Silverstar Ultras are probably even closer - haven't tried them yet). I have no problem whatsoever seeing far ahead of me (on one street I could see light from my headlights reflecting off a street sign probably four or five blocks away), and even with my high beams on, I have not had anyone flash their brights at me. And I have to run high beams all the time right now since one of the low beam filaments is out and I don't want to get a ticket. lol

If I had the money, the time and the knowledge to fit my truck with HIDs and decent projector lenses, I probably would do it, but I would want it to function and look right. Not just randomly project blasts of supernova brightness. But for what it costs for a relay kit and two Silverstar bulbs (or even the cost of H4 conversion lenses and Silverstar Ultras) I could get close to the same color and brightness with much less work. And it'd be bolt-on right out of the box.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 AM
kenball1980
New User
I personally put them in because I have terrible night vision. You would have to drive a vehicle with well aimed HID on a dark road to really understand. But as I said, I have them aimed lower than the suggested 2 inch drop at 20 feet, I actually have mine down close to double that. And before I took it out in traffic, I had my friend drive towards me, and he said they're not offensive at all (even though he absolutely hates HID). I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Plus I think they look really cool on a 1982!!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Greyf100
Elder User
The only "real" way to do them is to get a set of OEM projectors from a BMW / Audi and some "el-cheap-o" clear lens. Cut the back out and "fit" the projector assembly into them. None of the aftermarket conversion lens' are setup for HID's. The spacing required between the buld and the reflector is different between HID & Halogen. This is usually what causes all the glare to on comming traffic. The other issue is the cut off on the aftermarket lens, they can't effectivly focus the light of the HID's. Look at the pics posted around the net of these conversions vs "normal" bulbs. See how you can visually see a focal point of the light on the halogens but the HID's just look like a flood light? Yes its brighter, but its just scattered light. 4000K - 5000K are the brightest / most lumen output, anything over that you start getting into the blue / pink colors you actually lose lumen output.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
There's a guy around here that has purple headlights and bright yellow fog lights....I don't know how he sees anything lol. Lots of sky-blue headlights running around here too.

On my friend's Kia minivan, he has factory projector lenses (I don't think they're HID though), and the light has a very sharp cutoff at the top.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:20 PM
351M
Posting Guru
I have to agree that if HIDs are done right and aimed right all is good. Take a look at all the newer trucks headlights at night, sure they seem bright behind the wheel but now drive towards them with LEGAL headlights, they are all just as bad as HIDs. Far as I'm concerned E-code spec H4 lighting should be mandatory in ALL vehicles.

If the truckers around here can get through the scales and roadside DOT inspections with H4 HID conversions and not be blinding people in cars why can't anyone else? I do hate the retards that go grab a set and toss into a truck that was designed for bulbs such as the 9006, 9007 etc. because they really have no defined cut.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:35 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You don't need to cut out a set of headlamps Grey.
Just get a set of H4 style clear headlamp assemblies and use a proper retrofit projector kit like the Morimoto Bi-Xenon III's that has an integral shroud and then 'cook' the lenses off the assembly to install them.
The reflector won't "see" any of the beam and they won't glare at all unless the lens is all dirty or horribly pitted.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
kenball1980
New User
Very nice looking truck Greyf100!! What year is yours? I'm getting my wheel wells on my rear quarters cut out and replacement panels welded in this spring. Then I'm going to paint it a deep metallic blue with a white splash looking design coming from the front, and I'm working on refinishing a set of aluminum mags. I love your black and silver! I was thinking about that scheme too, as my interior are those colors, and putting a thick orange or red pinstripe to separate the two. Looks great!! I love my tuck, but hate the color!!

Quick Reply: HID conversion for bullnose trucks