1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Selecting a manual tranny for my 51 F-1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Whether or not you get a workout from clutching and shifting depends entirely on the clutch you have, not the transmission. The heavier the springs in the pressure plate, the heavier it will feel on your leg. T5's use a diaphragm clutch as opposed to the Long style with 3 fingers and heavy springs. They work a lot easier and lighter. They also use a cable or hydraulic throwout linkage, which is a bit smoother than the traditional mechanical linkage. The T5 will shift butter smooth, like your Honda, as opposed to the old fashioned rowing you'll do with an original 3 or 4 speed. All these things combined will make swapping to the newer trans a pleasure to drive. The hard part is setting it all up.

Changing the pedal to swinging from floor mount will ease the installation, as more parts are readily available to make it happen. Having the 351W already will make the swap easy as bellhousings are going to be cheap and plentiful, since it'll be the same part used in Mustangs for nearly 20 years. Balance was mentioned somewhere here earlier, and that won't be an issue as long as you use a flywheel for a 351. 302's after 1981 use a different balance weight on the flywheel and front balancer. The last issue will be modification of the trans crossmsmber to make it all fit between the rails. If you've made it this far, that part isn't going to be a big deal. It's just basic welding and fabrication.

I think I've covered all the big questions. Did I miss anything? ;-)
Thanks Merc, that is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. One issue you did not mention--length. Someone else said using a T5 out of an S 10 would be a good choice because the S-10 used a shorter tail shaft housing than other T5 vehicles. Do you agree with that? And exactly what dimensions do I need to measure on the engine, on the tranny and on my truck frame/body to determine the right length(s)?

On the issue of the cross member, I am pretty sure I am gonna go with a new rolling chassis from TCI so when I tell them what engine/tranny combo I have they will build the chassis accordingly.

BTW, to anyone reading this, please avoid discussion of new chassis vs old chassis on this thread. I don't mind hearing your opinions (though I have pretty much made my decision), but I have another thread on that subject. Please limit this thread to transmission stuff. Thanks!

Tyler

Old 11-30-2011, 02:00 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler S
Thanks Merc, that is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. One issue you did not mention--length. Someone else said using a T5 out of an S 10 would be a good choice because the S-10 used a shorter tail shaft housing than other T5 vehicles. Do you agree with that? And exactly what dimensions do I need to measure on the engine, on the tranny and on my truck frame/body to determine the right length(s)?

On the issue of the cross member, I am pretty sure I am gonna go with a new rolling chassis from TCI so when I tell them what engine/tranny combo I have they will build the chassis accordingly.

BTW, to anyone reading this, please avoid discussion of new chassis vs old chassis on this thread. I don't mind hearing your opinions (though I have pretty much made my decision), but I have another thread on that subject. Please limit this thread to transmission stuff. Thanks!

Tyler
Check the ratios before you use an S10 trans. The tailshaft housings interchange easily, so if you decide on a Mustang trans, you can use the S10 tailshaft housing for shifter location.

Last edited by 85e150; 12-07-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: correct "tailshaft" to include "housing" as per post 35
Old 11-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Check the ratios before you use an S10 trans. The tailshafts interchange easily, so if you decide on a Mustang trans, you can use the S10 tail for shifter location.

Ok. good info. thanks!

t

Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Flat Ernie on the HAMB has lots of info on T5's, do a search over there. Take a look at 48 Steels pictures of his T5 and note the shifter location. That's the S10 tailshaft housing. The mustang and camaro T5's usa a similar gear case, but the shifters are at the back of the tailshaft housing. You can grab a mustang t5 and swap the S10 tailshaft onto it pretty easily. If you just install a stock mustang T5, which with a ford V8 would probably be a pretty easy swap, the shifter will come through the floor about where the front of the bench seat is. That's the set up I have. I just have a shifter that bends around the front of the seat. If you're using bucket seats it's probably not a big deal where the shifter comes through the floor. AFA pedals, you can either swap to a firewall mounted setup, or there are several companies that make kits to keep your floor mounted setup.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler S

Tyler
It seems as though your question has been answered, but I will concur that the S10 trans is the preferred unit due to it's farther forward shifter location compared to the Mustang units. And it's not just any S10 trans, only certain years from 2wd trucks are the ones to use.

At the risk of sounding like the grammar police (open comment to everyone), we need to be careful to describe the parts by the proper terminology to avoid confusion. It's the tailshaft housing that locates the shifter, not the tailshaft. A housing is not a shaft, and the shaft is inside the transmission. I know it's a small thing and some people might say I'm being too picky about words, but these are the kinds of things that can mess people up if misunderstood.

You may want to do a little research on this, Tyler, but my understanding is that the tailshaft housings do not directly interchange between the S10 T5 and the Mustang T5 because the main shaft inside the transmission is longer on the Mustang trans, thereby necessitating a longer tailshaft housing. If using the S10 tail housing on the Mustang trans, you need to disassemble the transmissions and swap the stronger Mustang gears over onto the shorter S10 shaft and put it all together with the shorter tailshaft housing.Or, it's possible I've been given mis-information and don't know what I'm talking about. Like I said, do your research on this to be sure.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 AM
motorsportsaddict
5th Wheeling
This thread on the HAMB probably has more than you ever wanted to know on the T-5...

TECH: Ultimate T-5 Article - THE H.A.M.B.

Under the section "ADAPTING THE T-5" it explains how to change the shifter location and all the issues. I too want to convert my truck to a manual transmission. I went in a slightly different direction. I bought a NWC (Non World Class) Ford T-5 case and swapped the guts of the NWC Chevy S-10 trans into it. This way it will bolt right up to a Ford 302 bellhousing. Granted, this might not be the optimal gear ration selection for a 302. We'll see. My truck is still in pieces.

Last edited by motorsportsaddict; 12-01-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM
HD74
Elder User
I haven't read any other tranny suggestions, so here's mine. T-19 which has the same gear ratio as the T-5 minus the overdrive gear and all syc gears. T-19 are cheap and the shifter comes up in the stock location. I put one behind my flathead in my 51 and have been very happy with the conversion.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to drag up something a bit dated... but: What did you decide Ty?

I went through a ton of research and posted two of my own threads on the choices, I kinda had my heart set on a T19 (didn't even realize HD74 was still active, but I saw his build thread) - made that pick based on the T98 family and it's progression. HD74 - I am in east Denver, and if you are still in Gunbarrel I would like to see the French Flatty some time, maybe meet up at the bar and I'll buy ya a drink.

At the yard I discovered the T19 is a bit of a unicorn... Ford put NP435's behind he 4x4 and automatics behind the 4x2, so there was no T19's in the yard at all, didn't find a single one.

I did find a good shape T5 so you can guess where this is going for me now

Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

UPDATE on my tranny issues:

Once again guys, thanks for all the info on the transmissions (and several other topics). I have been off of FTE for over a month with the holidays etc. But progress has not stopped! Over the holidays I bought a ruined t-5 world class from a mustang and an S-10 tailhousing. Both items for $100 buck total. I am having a transmission guy rebuild it, but it is going slowly. More updates to follow...

Tyler