1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I'm bored, gonna sell all my truck stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:54 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm bored, gonna sell all my truck stuff

Like the title says, I'm bored. I just don't have the desire to continue collecting, or building the trucks anymore. I still have my dads '55 F-350 express, which I will never get rid of, and will restore it, and my moms '64 Falcon 2dr Hard-top Futura, that I will be restoring, but the Big Job, and such is not doing it for me anymore. I have the '55 F-750 my dad bought, and I'll hang onto it too, since it runs, and drives, but all the little parts I have laying around, I want to clear 'em out, and take a long break. I think I may end up doing a full garage clearing as well. I really want to make room for a nice N-scale model railroad, and build car models with the kids, and the truck stuff is just in the way. So all, either talk me out of it, or tell you need something I have.....

Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can understand, but at least you will be holding on to the projects that have sentimental value. That will keep you from kicking yourself too hard a few years down the road.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
I can understand, but at least you will be holding on to the projects that have sentimental value. That will keep you from kicking yourself too hard a few years down the road.
Yeah, there's somethings that cannot be replaced, and the center piece of memories is one of them. Tom Hanks character, in Saving Private Ryan, said it best when he said to not remember a person in particular, but remember a moment, or memory with them, and you will always be able to see them. I may not be able to get rid of the fire trucks cab, and other sheet metal, as it has some sentimental value with my wife, and in-laws, but I'm just bored, and know that I need it to go away, or it will just become a nuisance.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes you just got to tone something down. I vote get rid of what you heart is not into. Enjoy your kids. There's will all ways another truck to rebuild but them kids only stay kids for so long.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:02 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
I agree Jack. My oldest will be 12 in a few days, and my youngest is now 8. The feeling of accomplishment is wonderful when finishing a project, but it only lasts so long when there isn't really anything to do afterward. It all just takes up space, and there are tons of other things that I can do that will be more enjoyable. I think some of it has to do with the fact that I've been messing with these things since I was 9. I'm 34 now, and my family has owned literally dozens of them. My Big Job is too big to do anything with in the winter time, since it doesn't fit in the garage, and the average daily temp around here in the dead of winter is in the 20's, and 30's....too danged cold to play with old iron. I just went out and measured the area above my garage, and can pretty easily build a nice up stairs bonus room for my train, and hobby stuff. I would still have plenty of room in the garage for working on trucks, or cars, when I feel like it again.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:14 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kinda going thru the same deal. Got tired and burnt out on my last project and sold most everything for that type vehicle. Trouble is now I can't think of anything I want to do. Gotta find something to get me off this blasted computer. Retirement is great, but you have to stay busy.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
I've been in the automotive industry since after getting out of the Army. Whether it was sellingparts at the local parts store, or towing, or wrecking yard work, or as a mechanic, I've been in it for the last 12 + years. Stuff for me, has always been a project, and while I enjoy that part of it, it gets old fast. I got my '54 Big Job to run, and drive, and it quickly got boring. It's back in pieces, and I really have no clear direction to go with it. I have several large boxes of train stuff, ranging from nails, and screws, to buildings, and scenery. While I don't really need, or even really want to get rid of my truck stuff, I also don't want it to just sit here and waste.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:04 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Same boat here.
I really want to sell everything I have(car related) and then pick up the guitar again...
But something tells me not to.
I feel like It would be great to hit the road become a bum and not worry about things.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two years ago, I was done with old cars.. I had moved on to motorcycles. I ride every chance I get. I have been brainstorming the builds of my 75 Yamaha XS650 and my 81 Kawasaki 550 LTD for quite a while now.

A year ago, the chance to own, and build, one of my "holy grails" presented itself. I found my 56 F250 sitting in a tree line in SW Michigan, on a 70's 4x4 chassis. It came with titles for both the cab AND the chassis, all for a lousy $400...

I hadn't even thought about building another 4 wheeled vehicle. I was in the midst of clearing my garage out, only gonna work on mine, and the kids's cars.. no more racing, no more cruise nights, no more.

now, I have to get my 56 done.
I have to finish my son's 86 RX7 with a Ford 4.6L V8.
Help my brother get his 2 (yes 2) Pinto's up and running.
And then build my XS650 the way I really want it...

I am 39 years old, and was born with a chrome wrench in my hand and a bottle of 30W in my mouth... just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

But, back to the OT... Joe, I feel your pain. Trust me, those trucks have survived 60+ years, they will still be there after you put in your much needed quality Dad time. As much as you don't want to hear it, Grandkids could be just about 10 years away... maybe that first Grandson will want to work on "Tampa's Truck" .... like mine does. Guess who gets a ride on the maiden voyage.

but if you're gonna sell off.... remember when we had that fender discussion? a set of 100/250 fenders, and any OLD 56 250 trim pieces you might scrounge up....

Old 11-27-2011, 06:58 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I struggle with this affliction everyday. Best I can do is walk away, and come back the next, and do it all over again.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm with you on this one! feel the same way! i'm 57, had my truck last 25 years. had loads of fun, but want to move on. looking for the right 65 fairlane coupe to play with, (sentimental thing). now---if that needlenose in your avatar was available---------i just might --i better stop, NOW!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:50 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the other boat. Because of other priorities I have been away from the hobby until this fall (about 20 years). I never wanted to be out of it, but life goes that way some times. In our case, the truck is a way for us to spend time together as a family. This truck will probably be around until I die and I look forward to spending a lot of family time with it.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Dano78
Elder User
I do feel your pain and see exactly where you are comming from. Yes I have been loggin in long hours in the shop and have been making leaps and bounds on my '56, but it's come at a price. I havent' been spending the kind of time with the kids like I should. I'm a single dad with a 3 yr old girl and 10 yr old boy and I'm fixin to turn the odometer over to 33 in the next couple months. I took the kids to an Open house for the Columbia Gorge Model RR club and it got my old model RR juices flowin again. Something I'd love to do with the boy (and the daughter when she's a little older). A recent visit to the local hobby shop didn't help either as i use to be into RC cars pretty heavy too. Trust me, i feel ya. Unaffortunately my house is a small 1200 sqft and there's no room for a layout but thoughts have crossed my mind of selling off a huge portion of my cars and stuff just to clear out a spot in the front garage or in the shop to do such a thing. I look at the initial investment in the car stuff I have and I hesitate to sell as it would most certainly cost doubble or more to replace them if I do sell out. So.... I'm at a bit of an impasse too.
The '56 is something I can toss the kids in and hit a show or two next year, which will be great. It may be a year or two before I decide on painting the truck, but for now the other cars/projects are resting under Costco car tents in the backyard. (looks like a military camp in my backyard..lol) Might be something to consider, rollin the stuff you have into these tents until you can come up with a final decision. You never know, maybe your boy will wanna wrench on the stuff with you. That's what i did with my dad, ever since I was 10, I'd wrench with the old man out in his shop, wouldn't have had it any other way.

Add to that the wonderful CRAPPY weather we have up here. I'm in the same neck of the woods as you and I know the weather has a direct effect on my moods.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Totally hit the nail on the head dano. Our Pacific Northwest can be annoying in the non-summer months. I successfully sold a '56 F-100 today, and a few parts that go with it, so that takes some of the junk yard appeal down. I've got space above my garage, and will make a bonus room for trains after our tax return in a couple months. I've decided to get rid of everything, except my Big Job sheetmetal, the Peterbilt axles (front axle/suspension, and rear 3.73 air ride axle). I have a '55 F-350 pickup in Nevada to get, that is my dads, and he also has a '55 F-750, and the '64 Falcon that was moms. I'll have those, so that will keep me in the old Fords for a long time. Getting rid of what I have, will let me take a much needed break, and reevaluate what I have, and what I really want with the old Fords.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM
denverslim
Senior User
You guys need prozac. Not dumping your old trucks...slim

Quick Reply: I'm bored, gonna sell all my truck stuff