Bronco II Showoff thread....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Bronco II Showoff thread....

Ok guys...(an gals)..

Lets see them.....Good, bad, the ugly....Even the non-running planter Bronco II you have...Lets see them...

I'm ALWAYS interested in seeing rides, the color combo's, etc....Post up, and with as much info as possible please...lol

Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
I had an '88 Bro2, I'll have to see if I can find a pic..............

Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 PM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's mine on top of Pine Mountain, 1987 XLT 5 speed. Just took these just hours ago Elevation was 6,117ft where I took this picture.

Great view.

There was a nice amount of fresh snow today. I had a lot of fun, I got to go out here as part for my forest ecology project.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Nice lil unit ya got there....I like the 2 tone...

Old 11-22-2011, 07:55 PM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Thanks! I am the third owner, I had it for a little over a year now. The previous owners took real good care of it; just shy of 227,000 miles with only regular and some other small maintenance needed to be done. 1987 XLT 5 speed, it does great in the winter snow.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
BadgerBoy welcome to FTE, my Bro2 was the same color when I got it then I painted it all burgundy, looks great

Old 11-22-2011, 10:11 PM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Thanks for the welcome! I have been here for a little bit time to time but its so quiet in the bro2 forum and I didn't have any real good pictures until I took the ones while I was out today.
That's good color, I like burgundy a lot.
What wheels did you have on yours? Mine came with the first generation Explorer ones when I bought it, which I kinda like but I would like to see what everyone else has.
Hopefully some more people post pictures of their bro2's.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:48 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

And what you just mentioned, is why I created this thread....

Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hole In The Rock Part 2 The San Juan Mission Nissan Xterra Photo 5

Not the best pic but all I can post now. More when the next issue is on line in 3 weeks or so.

This is how it started out: New Page 0 It was Maroon and Silver also. New Page 0 But I painted it Silver when the flares were done and painted the bumpers, mirrors, and trim black. A new black grill and winch mount completed it.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 AM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
HappyJack, that silver color looks sharp! That bro2 has come a long way from just beginning as a 2x4.

What did you get for the front axle? I know you went with a 9" rear.

Also, I would like to maybe eventually put larger tires on mine probably no larger than 31's, I don't do more than mild-light moderate off roading. If I were do something like a 2" lift would the 31" or even 30" tires fit? One thing I want to avoid is having to cut the fender to make the tires fit, its not worth it to me at that point.

Would 7.5" rear end still be sufficient?

Would my stock transfer case be able to handle any of these sort of changes?

I have 3.31 gears and would I need go to 3.73's or even 4.10's?

How much could this cost?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:48 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I used a front 35 ttb from a first gen Explorer and put 44 outers on it: New Page 0 Wish I would have gone 8.8 in the rear. With the doubler shorting my rear driveshaft and the angle of the 5.5" lift the low pinion 9" had to be rotated way up. Has me worried about front pinion bearing oiling. Had to replace it and the R&P all ready once. If it goes again I'll look for a full width 31 spline 8.8. Jr. has Detroit Lockers front and back.

My 89 on that same trail as in the magazine story: New Page 0

My 89 had the leveling coils in front with spacers. And a long Add-a-Leaf in the rear. Lock Right locker in the front and rear Auburn LS rear. 4.11 gears, 30x9.50X15 tires and an A4LD trans. Loved it till the rebuilt trans puked fluid and layed down on Hotel Rock Trail on me. And the 28 front had some trouble with the front locker. Broke a shaft on Radical Hill at a place known for breaking shafts and I might not of had a good Spicer joint in it at the time. Depends on how you wheel. I did HITR, Hotel Rock, Red Cone, and others with the front locker and the 28. That section on Radical Hill has been re-worked so it's not the problem it once was.

If you have a good alignment guy, Skyjacker makes a set of 2" lift front coils and shocks. I think one of the large parts places like Summit or Jegs sells them but you can check online for the lowest cost. I have a pair in the shed but shipping would be expensive. For the rear I like a new spring pack or the long aal. Superlift still makes a long aal for the early RBV. The short ones are too stiff and ride hard for an old guy like me. I like Duff's base kit. 3" lift with shocks. I use it on my Explorer. I'd buy the Skyjacker 4" drop pitman arm or who ever had the lowest cost one. And I really like Superlifts long aal. Duff's let me delete the rear kit but I joined a BII board some time back that gave me an "in" with Duffs and let me split kits. Not sure that is still the case. Too bad Duff moved east they would have been close to you. They used to run on the high side for shipping.

The 7.5 selection of after market lockers and limited slip is not very good. But it is plenty strong for what you want to do with 30"-31" tires.

The 1350 t-case is fine. Around 90 they went to the 1354 with a different front out put and then around 92 went from a 4 pinion planetary to a 6 pinion that is said to be stronger. If you need one and are starting from scratch like I was look for a 93 and up 1354. But yours is fine as long as you keep it serviced and fluid in it.

With an overdrive trans I like 4.11's. My 89 above would eat those trails up and avarage 20mpg on a trip out to Colorado or Utah including doing the trails.

Cost varies from person to person. I have a gear guy and pull the center section or axle and take it to him to have it set up. Some folks have to take it somewhere to have it all done. And some folks can do all the work them selves. Lifts used to be about $200 for the front Skyjacker 2" and $100 for the Skyjacker aal. Another $50-$100 for alignment cams for the front if you can find someone who will still do them. And another $50 extra to install them. Add rear shocks and yer right at $500 and hope the alignment guy can get it right. I lost my good alignment guy and haven't found another good one. Last time I had to take one in to 2 different places to get it close and cost about $200. In the end lower cost my not be that much and results may be much lower. The Duff kit is $600 plus the pitman arm and shipping. And the rear aal they sell most likely is better than the cheap short ones I used when I was a Jeep car driver.

Of course you could just go with front coil spacers and a rear block. Rear blocks increase the leverage on the leaf springs and promote axle wrap though.

Good luck with truck.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:28 AM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Thank you for the info!

Yeah I would have to find somebody around town, I have a few places in mind but I also have just barely lived in Oregon a little over a year. I'm still deciding if I should try something like this or not.

If I keep it stock its not too bad because I mainly use it to commute to college anyway. It does pretty well already for whatever little off roading I actually do. It would probably be smart to wait to do this when I am out of school in case I break something too haha.

This could be a summer project, we will have to see.
I am definitely saving this information you gave me, I was really just lost on what I should do. These are pretty cool little trucks if I want to do something like this I want to do it right.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Looks like I've stirred a tad of excitement up in this coffin of a forum....LOL

Old 11-24-2011, 05:54 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
The 2.9L had their share of head & motor problems but once I fixed all that I really enjoyed the Bro2

Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Yeah sidewinder there is still little life in here lol. Thanks for making this thread.

Yeah I heard about issues with the head GIGGER but I been fortunate enough to have very minimal issues with mine. I baby it of coarse lol but still the last owner put a chip in mine. I had to have that tuned down so to speak because the darn thing would cut fuel off to the motor when it was still cold when I was accelerating. It almost killed me when I was getting on the highway once when it slowed back me down to 25mph before it have started giving me fuel again.

Quick Reply: Bronco II Showoff thread....