Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

New Paint Job is Almost Finished

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Burburan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck is looking great, and thank you, I was struggling with whether to go with the gold or silver base before I sprayed the candy-apple red on my truck and I am now sold on the silver base. Keep on going and it really looks great!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, the last few days I have been working on putting in the Painless wiring harness. Here are a few pictures of the mass hysteria taking place inside the cab of Pop's truck.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 PM
JB78f150
Posting Guru
What a pain to do but when you get it done its worth it. Did it on the 72 Bronco what a difference everything finally works right.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
I finished most of the rear section of the Painless wiring harness today which allowed me to put in my shiny new tail lights and rear markers. I also finally got my new bumper put on only to find out the brackets that I got from Blue Oval truck parts were too wide. Now I have to grind them down to make them work. Nothing is ever as easy as it is supposed to be.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Famousamos
Junior User

That is a beautiful truck, if mine looks half that good ill be happy. Question on the wiring, from what I've seen there are two ways to go, Painless and Centech. Is there a reason you went with Painless?, did you consider Centech? From the looks of all that wiring im already dreading it, but like JB78 said it will be worth it at the end. This is going to be my first step in getting my 77 roadworthy.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Originally Posted by Famousamos
That is a beautiful truck, if mine looks half that good ill be happy. Question on the wiring, from what I've seen there are two ways to go, Painless and Centech. Is there a reason you went with Painless?, did you consider Centech? From the looks of all that wiring im already dreading it, but like JB78 said it will be worth it at the end. This is going to be my first step in getting my 77 roadworthy.
I chose Painless based on the recommendations of fellow board members who had used the brand before. It was expensive for what you actually get, but I'm sure a good bit of research went into making a harness this "easy" to use. All the colors match the factory wiring, so if you do have to make a splice, the colors match. I would recommend it to anyone who can read a schematic and isn't afraid to dive into something. It also makes it much easier being in my situation, which is a pretty bare bones truck coming back from paint. I would really dread this job if my truck were completely together. Thank you also for the compliments. I really do appreciate it. It is amazing what a little paint will do to an old hunk of metal. Six months ago I got a visit from the HOA regarding complaints about Pop's truck being an "eyesore". Funny, I haven't gotten any complaints since I've gotten it back from paint. Hopefully it will be finished in a month or so. If you have any questions about the wiring, I will do my best to help. Just send me a PM or post it on here. I don't mind at all.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 PM
jtindale
Senior User

Beautiful truck! I can't wait to get to that but I'm a loooong way off.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Freakin HOAs

Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow that truck is coming along great and looks awesome.

BTW that Painless harness, how plug and play is it? Do you just have to connect the plugs or do you have to splice all the wires yourself?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Originally Posted by 650
Wow that truck is coming along great and looks awesome.

BTW that Painless harness, how plug and play is it? Do you just have to connect the plugs or do you have to splice all the wires yourself?
So far, all I have really connected is the rear marker lights and the tail lights. I did have to use the old tail light bulb assembly and back up light assembly. The marker light assembly was included in the kit. I don't mind splicing a few wires. My connections are done with care and I have no reason to think they are any less durable than if someone who didn't care about my truck had assembled in a factory. So far as being plug and play, well, I am almost afraid to answer that because like I said before, this isn't my specialty. If you can read a simple wiring diagram and match some colors, I would say you wouldn't have any trouble, or at least not so much trouble that you couldn't figure it out with a little help from your friends. That is where I am I think. I know that if I get stuck, there are plenty of people on here who will help me out. I am going to try to make some head way tomorrow in the cab. That is really all I can do considering I don't have a motor or transmission installed yet. Thanks again for the kind words. I hope my Dad would be proud of the old truck. I am very glad he didn't drive a Pinto. I would have the nicest Pinto that I could afford to restore, but it sure wouldn't be as much fun!

Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 AM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Thanks for all the updates! Looking great!!! "Painless" wiring? lol There's a lot of connectors there, huh. Custom, cut to fit. You are making your Dad proud.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:54 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by MAULMAUL
I am very glad he didn't drive a Pinto. I would have the nicest Pinto that I could afford to restore

Old 12-30-2011, 08:33 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Tomorrow, I am going to try to finish the inside of the cab and get the Dakota Digital gauges wired up the best that I can considering there is nothing in front of the firewall except a frame and a couple of tires...

Old 12-30-2011, 08:34 PM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
Very interested in the gauges i have a set coming on wednesday

Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 PM
redsuperduty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome job!

Quick Reply: New Paint Job is Almost Finished