Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

hx35 turbo ford!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 10:14 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hx35 turbo ford!

i got it almost all done, i got the intake-exhaust pipes all fabbed up. i just have to figure out a way to put the oil return line from the turbo to the motor and figure out how to do a crankcase vent and then just seal everything up nice and tight so it don't have a wicked exhaust or intake leak. the turbo sits up over the i.p. to the right of the fuel filter!! i hope i don't blow a head gasket with 30 psi boost!!! and the hood is coming off till i make a scoop or something like that. but till then, its goin in the garage! i'll get some pics of it, there is no exhause pipe, just straight out of the turbo. i got it off a 94 dodge cummins.i don't know if i can keep myself from driving it before i get the guages set up.... i hope i don't burn it up. i got the guages sittin in my closet right now.... what do ya'll think?

Old 01-03-2005, 03:22 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
I don't know motor replacement is a headache in a half only amplifed when you figure cost. Take it easy.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:27 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
i got an old 6.9 that runs pretty good, it just leaks water through the side of the block.... my grandpa ran it for 5 years like that, put water in it every day... i guess i could get used to it if i had to replace the motor. and the turbo won't go back if the motor blows. i will sell the pipes i made for it cheap or give them away if i don't like it. unless i think about putting a 73 in a jetboat someday with powerstroke pistons and some other ideas i got!!

Old 01-09-2005, 09:01 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
Thumbs down

ok, i got her running, but the problem is that it blows black oil out of the exhaust pipe.... is there a special sized orfice that you put in the oil line to revent this, or is the turbo junk or what??i took it apart once, but put it back together what i thought was right, i put the split in the ring oil seals at the top of the turbo and the return is free flowing and flows a lot of oil. the inlet is full flow through a 3-8 steel line. is that too much oil for the turbo and making it leak, and does anyone know where i can get the correct sized orfice???(if it needs an orfice) any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-09-2005, 10:24 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only way I know that a turbo can pass oil is if it is worn out.

Jason

Old 01-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Dieseldan7.3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need some pics so I can see how you put a turbo off a I6 on a v8. It must be a Holset turbo if its off a Dodge. I cant imagine it being bad unless it was abused.
You better get on your boost gauge and pyro. Putting a turbo made for 5.9l of 6 cylinder Cummins might not work the same on a 7.3l V8 running higher rpms.
Good luck.
And dont take your pics to Wally Market this time! I want to see them this year.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:42 PM
rancherman84
Senior User
no orifice in any oil supply line that i've ever seen.how loose is the impeller shaft?it should have a little play up/down and side/side,but if its loose enough that the impeller hits the housing then it probably shot.
the only other thought i have is that the older cummins motors had low pressure/high flow lube systems,i dont think the IDI's are like that,maybe the IDI has to much oil psi for the seals to handle?just a thought.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:03 AM
89ford73
Posting Guru
i talked to a guy with a 97 dodge cummins and he said he sees 75 si o.p. cruising highway. the old ford has like 50 hot i think, maybe 60. so i don't think its that. i put a valve inline to the turbo and it still pukes oil, i need to take pics of it. the hood is gone cuz the turbo sticks above the hood, the windshield is covered in oil!! i went around the block and couldn't see out the windshield. i think the turbo does hit the housing a little, but not too bad. the motor had 150,000 miles on it that i got it off of, but the cummins was worn out(abused) bad!!) it does have a lot more low end torque than it used to, and seems like i have a lot more rpm's than i used to... i know i don't but thats the best way to describe it. it spools up, but nothing like a cummins, a cummins sings and spools a LOT quicker than this thing. and sings a lot louder. i got the exhaust straight out of the turbo, no exhaust. no air cleaner. i still need to turn the fuel up and adjust the timing!! i will adjust my valve down to where it no longer pukes, or just down to barely a drip. i still need to install guages tho.it's 110% crazy redneck ****, i need pics bad!!

Old 01-12-2005, 10:52 PM
912504x4
Freshman User
Talking You are my Hero !!! PICS PICS PICS Please !

I am planning the same crazy redneck turbo kit. I have a powerstroke turbo coming via ups right now. I had planned on placing it in the same general area as you are describing to avoid the firewall exhaust blues.
If there is any way you can get pictures up that would make my year !!

I do think you might be a little crazy running the 7.3 with no boost gauge.
30 psi = BANG! Hopefully it isnt making that kind of boost since there is a larger displacement and longer turbo intake run from the manifolds.

Thanks, Eric

Old 01-12-2005, 11:40 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
ok, i got the oil problem fixed all up, now i need to buy a 55 gallon drum of somvent and run a hose to my pressure washer and get after it!!! lol, it's suck a mess! i must have puked 3 quarts of oil around the block once. but it does make a difference in power. it is not a huge difference, but i ahve yet to install guages, adjust timing, or fuel settings. i chose the holset turbo because of the exhaust flange and the way it bolts to the pipe. i just cut a plate out made to fit the turbo and then welded the pipe to it. then bolted it to the turbo. you have to have the special pipe fittings and clamps that go to the garrett turbo. i hoe you have some of that stuff to go along with it, 91250. for the intake, i cut out a piece of flat plate, then welded a 3" exhaust pipe to it, and to bolt that piece down, i cut 2-1/2 moons out for the air to go in, then drilled a hole in the middle and bolted it where the long air cleaner bolt goes stock. the oil return line from the turbo goes where the cdr valve used to go. I cut and drilled a piece of strap iron to bolt where the old cdr valve was, and cut a piece of tire out and sandwiched it in there with the 2 cdr bolts to seal that huge hole up in the back of the manifold.for the exhaust pipes, i used a piece of 6" exhaust pipe for the Y with caps on both ends, one pipe fron the left goes in the bottom and the right pipe goes in the top along with the uppipe for the turbo. the uppipe comes up the right side of the motor and hits the tranny a little, but its all good. the exhaust pipe is not there..... just straight out of the turbo. it's not even loud. my truck was WAY louder when it had dualed out glasspacks than it is with the turbo. i will try to clean it all up a little and get some good pictures, or if i decide to take it off, i will sell it retty right to someone in here that wants to try it for themselves. it's bad-*** to see your black smoke roll off the windshield and over the cab, and the exhaust smells sweet like a powerstroke when its spooled up. and the motor sounds great, not like its going to blow up. i fixed the oil problem by installing a 1" line from the turbo instead of the 1/4 inch line i had before, all is well in turbo-ford land now. i hope your turbo project goes as good or better than mine, my truck was down for 2-1/2 weeks. i could have got it done quicker if i had gone to the muffler shop for pipes, but i was saving money by doing it my way. total cost out of my pocket for the project was like under 100 bucks easy. but i alredy had a turbo. happy turbo-ing

Last edited by 89ford73; 01-12-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:51 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
ok, i got my guages in and i'm sittin high and dry at 4 psi boost and 950 on the pyro. plans are to get 15 psi with 13-1400 max. on the pyro, will turn fuel up till temps get hot, then adjust timing till they cool off then re-adjust fuel and so forth. it's cool out now, 65 degrees or so, i wonder what temps will do in the summer time? i love the sound of the exhaust and the sweet smell it makes when it spools up!!! i love it!!!!!it actually has a sweet smell, not that raw fuel smell to it. i will crank on the fuel screw tomorrow and see where i'm settin!!

Old 01-14-2005, 06:17 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
that's what i got today!!!!! 15 psi boost and 12-1300 on the pyro. damn it runs good. but it tends to slip the clutch with anything over 12 psi boost, the motor can handle 15 psi pretty good, but the clutch is the deciding factor. i cranked the fuel up 4 flats today, thats 2/3 a turn!! wow it smokes a lot till it starts boosting, and i don't know why, may be due to exhaust leaks, but it doesn't start to spool up untill about 2500 rpm, then it's on like donkey kong. then the clutch starts slipping, i can slip the clutch at 80 mph when the motor is running 3,000 rpm's or so. the highest i have got the pyro is 1300. the slow spooling may also be due to the 7.3 v-8 uses up too much air for the turbo compressor to make at low rpm's, i don't know what is wrong. i guess i need like a hybrid 35-40 or something. i wish i knew how much power that motor is making. the clutch is in good shape too, it just slips.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The six inch pipe you used for the Y is costing you a lot of low RPM boost. There is to much volume there for the exhaust to still be flowing fast enough to spin the turbo up.

You ought to keep the EGT temp under 1200 if you like the motor.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:06 PM
89ford73
Posting Guru
ok, thanks for the input. as soon as i get some money, i will probably go to the muffler shop and have some good, non-leaky exhaust pieces put in there. do you think i should use 2-1/2 pipe all the way to the turbo, or go from 2-1/2 then into a 3" Y and 3" to the turbo?? i am guessing the 3" would be the same effect or worse than the 6" pipe i am using? right now, it's 2-1/2 going to everything, and the Y is underneath the truck on the right side

Old 01-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Dieseldan7.3
Elder User
Run some 3 inch to the turbo and then run 5 inch the rest of the way to the stacks you are going to put in. You could probably upgrade your injectors too if the engine was originally a N/A.
My friend pulled with a 98 Cummins and it sucked the oil right out of the KN air filter. He had two Holsets mounted, one feeding the other after he spun the bearings out of the first one. That thing threw as much smoke as your picture shows. His windshield and hood was always black from the soot.
Ive seen Powerstrokers with a stack right out the hood off the turbo. Works real good but the cops said its not "compatible with state noise and air pollution laws".

Quick Reply: hx35 turbo ford!