Computer Chips & Tuners  

Chip for 2005 Ford F250 FX4 6.0L Power Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:31 PM
coliervile
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip for 2005 Ford F250 FX4 6.0L Power Stroke

I'm a new owner of a 2005 Ford F250 FX4 6.0L diesel... and so far I love it.
I get pretty descent fuel economy thus far 21-22 MPG at 70 MPH on the highway. My question is this. I've read all sorts of information on engine chips and how careful one must be not to fall prey to fake resistor type chips. Is there a chip that works on the Power Stroke engine that works and increase the MPG and HP and won't damage the engine? I'm ot overly concerned with increasing the HP but if there's a chip that can increase one's MPG by 3-4 MPG I'm willing to listen.

Thanks,
Charlie

Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
They are called tuners, because they change the computer programs in your truck! Check with innovative diesel or gearhead preformace on the web for more info. I would recommend the tuner after all other engine/exhaust mods...

Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 AM
coliervile
New User
Thanks for your reply Curts05 and I'll look into to the tuners. Right off hand what engine and/or exhaust mods can be done on a 6.0 Powerstroke to increase MPG?

Thanks,
Charlie

Old 11-14-2011, 08:01 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coliervile
Thanks for your reply Curts05 and I'll look into to the tuners. Right off hand what engine and/or exhaust mods can be done on a 6.0 Powerstroke to increase MPG?

Thanks,
Charlie
Worry about controlling your right foot then adding a tuner or any other engine/exhaust mod to the truck.

For the most part, tuners are performance enhancing products. That is their main purpose in life. Some have reported mileage gains, some no changes, and some have even lost MPG with tuners. It isn't a sure thing. Why you ask? Because they are performance products not economy products. If you happen to get economy from them great, but do not buy them with the intent of getting better economy, more often then not you'll be disappointed.

Even those that have reported a gain in MPG, that greatly differs between the next person even if they use the same tuner.

You actually have your goals reversed in why you want to get a tuner.

Now since you have a 6.0, I would highly suggest going with something that allows for custom tuning. Tuning to suite your particular truck. That increases your chances of getting mileage benefits (although still not a sure thing), but you can actually change the tuning without affecting HP/TQ output, you can even de-tune the truck as well (some have done that with the 6.0 trucks). So with custom tunes, the tuner is more then just a performance mod, although, even though custom tunes allow for this type of programming, those that do that are by far the minority and the ultimate goal of even custom tuning is still performance.

I'm afraid that the marketing hype has suckered you into thinking that tuners are MPG improving machines and they really aren't. I even have to question those that got improvements and how they actually calculated those improvements. Might actually not be as much of an improvement or one at all depending on what was going on.

Oh by the way, 20-21 MPG is damn good. Even if you did see a bump, it'll take years for that mod to pay for itself and for you to actually generate savings even with the current price of fuel and this is coming from some one that drives double the average yearly miles that most people drive.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:47 PM
coliervile
New User
Tex25025 thanks for your input as well.

I've read all sorts of articles and forums on the 6.0 power stroke very carefully. Through the various readings I've come to this conclusion. Changes can be made through tuners/chip/mods but is it worth it money wise. If you're looking for more power well that's a personal choice on how much money do you want to spend? It seems too that the 6.0 power stroke doesn’t really accept a great amount of changes without sacrificing engine longevity.

When it comes to increasing ones miles per gallon staying off of the accelerator is the first start. I’m interested in really finding out if there’s a way to increase the trucks MPG’s with very simple and without great expense to the owner.
I read this article and even though an average person isn’t going to do this but it does raise the question is there a better way… 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 Dualie Cummins - Diesel Power Magazine

Best regards,
Charlie