6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

should a stock 6.0 chirp the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
IF the turbo behaved like it's SUPPOSED to, you wouldn't have to worry about power-sliding across an intersection, because boost would come up smoothly and predictably. That's the biggest problem. It's NOT predictable.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that my daily driver is a Freightliner (see the avatar) with a turbo that's as big as a dinner plate. It has true turbo lag, but it's predictable and behaves the same way EVERY TIME. And yes, I can dump the throttle on it, and it behaves the same way, EVERY TIME. It DOES something when you ask it. It doesn't sit there for two full seconds, playing with itself, and then letting all hell break loose. (I've documented this behavior on the Ford.)

-blaine
Are u seriously trying to compare a 6.0l, 7 k lb truck with a 14.? Liter rig that weighs close to 37 thousand pounds? With all do respect that is like comparing a
Minivan to a motorcycle.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 06 will do it stock. ESP after i do an injector flush from bg this think will light em up from a take off. of course its not instant but once the boost is there it will get alittle sideways. thats what i would do is go find a place that sells BG products and have them do an injector flush. brings back some mileage also and power and gets the fuel side of the injector nice and clean! but you also know its working when it starts to burn your eyeballs because of the chemicals its burning. they make some great products if you ask me!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raptor131
Are u seriously trying to compare a 6.0l, 7 k lb truck with a 14.? Liter rig that weighs close to 37 thousand pounds? With all do respect that is like comparing a Minivan to a motorcycle.
That freight shaker should be down around 20k-25k pounds. Also, the turbochargers are completely different between the two. If he's running a Cat under the hood, then they're some what similar (HUEI). But otherwise I agree, they're completely different animals.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 AM
jtug69
Junior User
power braking

Originally Posted by bpounds
I can't break them loose without a power brake. The turbo will not spool up fast enough for that. Power brake it and build some boost, and you can smoke them. Or go with tunes, but that seems pretty dumb just to wear out tires.
My 03 will not spin the tired even if I do power brake it and I have an SCT tuner on street mode. It will try as I let off the brake and start moving

Last edited by jtug69; 03-17-2015 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM
PowerplayConway
New User
My 04 XLT, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Duelly when new before Ford reprogrammed it the power was awesome. With my 14.000 + pound 5th wheel camper attached it would smoke all 4 rears with no problem. Since the program change it has a much milder launch. For some reason my rears wear faster than the fronts?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM
jtug69
Junior User
power braking

Originally Posted by PowerplayConway
My 04 XLT, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Duelly when new before Ford reprogrammed it the power was awesome. With my 14.000 + pound 5th wheel camper attached it would smoke all 4 rears with no problem. Since the program change it has a much milder launch. For some reason my rears wear faster than the fronts?
03 f250 6.0L with sct tuner will not break traction and if I floor it while going about 45 it lags alot

Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 PM
PowerplayConway
New User
Sounds like you may have a stuck servo on the turbo or the variable ring is worn out.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM
AlaskanF350
Senior User
my 06 Amarillo is stock..
and she'll smoke tires if I don't watch out..

however, I haven't yet stomped it to the floor...
have pushed hard and fast to the halfway point when I got cut-off AT an intersection from car in the left turn lane.

left him in a big cloud of smoked rubber and a little bit o' desiel smoke!!!

Chris

Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Interesting discussion. When I first got my truck and didn't really know the deal, I had been impressed with the acceleration a couple of times and made the mistake of trying to jump off a side street into heavy traffic in a questionably short space (oh yea, I got this!) and quickly learned that doing that from an idle was a bad move. I floored it and it literally crawled out in front of the oncoming car, my panic changed to relief for a millisecond as I saw the front of the oncoming car dip as he got on the binders hard in a valiant attempt to keep me from killing us, then a half second of relief as the truck began picking up, looking like I was going to be out of the way after all! Then from relief to concern as I had to lift off the throttle as the rear of my truck started to come around them panic again as getting off the power that quick upset the balance of the truck and it grabbed, slinging it back around the other way. Luckily, I'm familiar with this routine, got back in the power (I guess it happened so quick the turbo was still spooled up) and drove through it swerving a couple more times.

I've learned that driving this truck even Kinda hard takes some getting used to, mine can go from disappointment to panic in a heartbeat. It's fast, but even now I don't get it exactly right every time(not that I drive like this a lot ). I will say boosting up against the brakes -not for tire spin but just to get into the power and then lifting the brake and rolling into the throttle as the speed builds will almost allways chirp the tires on the first shift. Shifter in drive and hammer down it shifts too early, somehow tow/haul is better, manual shiftiing works best.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 PM
PowerplayConway
New User
If this is your first diesel be sure to watch that tach till you learn the sounds so you stay in the safe and out of the sorry zone. When it starts spooling up while spining up the tires its easy to get over zealous and slide right past that red line.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
If this is your first diesel be sure to watch that tach till you learn the sounds so you stay in the safe and out of the sorry zone. When it starts spooling up while spining up the tires its easy to get over zealous and slide right past that red line.
6.0 has a rev limiter...

As for running stock, It should easily powerbrake a burnout.

Josh

Old 03-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Grant-Dieseltech
Senior User

I have a hard time buying the idea of a stock 6.0 with a 14K trailer blowing off the tires on dry pavement...

Old 03-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Grant-Dieseltech
Senior User

Rev limiter is 600 RPM or so before you have to worry about damage.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:58 PM
tim.moman
Elder User
I will add, assuming the turbo vanes are good, maybe you should check into a FICM tune. (Ed in my case) That woke mine up more than any anything I have done. Especially the turbo lag. That said, the biggest annoyance is that floored quickly because I want it now it sure falls flat like other have said. Being a heavy DRW with all the add-ons, wet roads are surprising sometimes.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:19 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Grant-Dieseltech
I have a hard time buying the idea of a stock 6.0 with a 14K trailer blowing off the tires on dry pavement...
Yah think? A statement like that better back it with video or it don't happen.

Quick Reply: should a stock 6.0 chirp the tires?