1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

EFI or carb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kenjh
bottom line do what works for you ...
Thats what I meant too! I just get crazy with the keyboard! LOL

Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Firepower flyer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always been partial to carbs,but I put this 1990 5.0HO out of a wrecked mustang with a AOD and I find myself driving this car ALOT even though I built it for my wife,LOL It runs awesome with NO issues.It's in my 57 wagon.
Joe

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 11-10-2011, 01:55 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Firepower flyer
I've always been partial to carbs,but I put this 1990 5.0HO out of a wrecked mustang with a AOD and I find myself driving this car ALOT even though I built it for my wife,LOL It runs awesome with NO issues.It's in my 57 wagon.
Joe

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That's what I like. It looks good. Has power and is reliable. Thanks for posting

Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I remember back in the mid 70's when electronic ignition came out, I was an apprentice at a local garage. The 2 mechanics I worked under were just terrified when they were introduced to it. I was young and eager to learn so it really wasn't a big problem. The same goes for efi, it's been around for a while and has proved it's worth. How many guys are still running points in their ride because they're afraid of electronic ignition?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
point's for my truck are 9 bucks ..pertonix is 100 ..that is a lot of gas money ,,and point replacement ,,and so far...I enjoy

Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I went with a carb just for simplicity's sake. One fuel line and a mechanical fuel pump. I'll always consider swapping to efi, but I probably won't ever bother. I must admit, I've only had one other carb equipped vehicle in the last 20 years so I'm used to the smooth running of efi, but I'm just not interested in setting up efi. The carb was just easy.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:34 PM
chappys4life
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I like efi it certain circumstances but in general I prefer a carb. I love electronic ignition and only run points if I have to. Installed a petronix unit in my truck and love it. Wanted to go a true hei but nothing for 6v and I am not changing it over. I think it adds so much character having a flathead and 6 volt.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I built the '63 Falcon last year, I ened up using a '91 5.0 HO, completely gone through, and an Edelbrock Performer RPM clone intake. Ran BBK headers, and dual 2.5" exhaust. I made the engine look completely stock, except for the Professional Products EFI on top. I installed a T-5 from the same Mustang, and ran it to a '63 Sprint 8" rear end. I ran a MSD 6AL box, and the Professional Products HEI type distributor (the GM looking one for Fords). I ran a Ford Racing King Cobra clutch kit, and it couldn't handle the mostly stock 5.0. The EFI was easy to install, was totally self contained, and easy to base tune with a lap top. It was a returnless system, and it self tuning during drive time. After getting the clutch dealt with, I could roll down the road at 15-20 MPH, mat the throttle, and smoke the tires. The response is phenominal, and blows a carb away anytime. With carbs, it is difficult to get everything tuned just right (you know, that nagging little dead spot that lasts for about .025 seconds when the throttle snaps). EFI vs. Carb....there are more pros for EFI than for carbs. With modern fuels, the carb needs to be refurbed with Viton seals, and such, EFI is modern fuel compatable, right out of the box. When building the Falcon, I had three options.....carbed 5.0, Ford EFI top end, or the PP EFI kit. Personally, I won't use anything but an aftermarket EFI on any future street rod builds. Carbs are junk, and OE EFI is not worth the effort, dealing with all the transplanting crap. If you haven't tried an aftermarket EFI set up, you're missing out, in my opinion. There's plenty of photos in my photo bucket of the stock looking 5.0, topped with EFI.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

wmjoe1953,

What did the professional product EFI kit cost to install (including all the hidden costs)? It sounds like you are very happy with their product.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:34 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,195 Likes on 2,688 Posts
There has been some very good information provided and I'm more than convinced to go the EFI route. I do have another question for you though; how much HP are most of you after for a seasonal driver?
Hopefully this thread will go on for awhile.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Lance Hogan
wmjoe1953,

What did the professional product EFI kit cost to install (including all the hidden costs)? It sounds like you are very happy with their product.
I installed it myself, and whatever the cost of the kit is now. If you have a truck, that is ready for induction, it's as simple as buying the kit, taking it out of the box, and following the directions for installation. The doesn't include the fuel pump, but a combo kit is available that does. It's not much more. Install the fuel pump (wiring leads are included), and install the throttle body. On Fords, with stock ignition switch, and starter solenoid, you MUST use the extra post on the starter solenoid for the computer "hot in crank" lead, or it will reset everytime you try and start it...I found that out the hard way. There isn't much to buy after the fact. I did, however, go with russell fittings, and such, so I had some extra costs. The new one is even easier than the one I used, which is no longer avaible except when you search online for some still in circulation. I was EXTREMELY happy with it. It made that little 5.0 come to life. It responded so well, had tons of response all the way to the chip I put in the MSD box. It would climb through the rpm range without a bit of hesitation, bucking, snorting, coughing, etc., etc. It started right up, warm or cold. The one I used, I could tune it a bit with the lap top. I could add a little extra fuel to the curve when I stomped on it with a little slider control, and I could add, or reduce fuel for cold start. I could adjust it by air/fuel ratio, or by fuel pressure, or by RPM, or what ever.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

I did a quick search and found that the Power Injection kit could be purchased for around $2000. So, for another couple hundred, one could have the Professional Products unit installed.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
You mean, paying to have someone install it? If so, I wouldn't. It takes basic mechanical skills to install it. It can be done in just a few hours, if you plan ahead.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:00 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I would like to go the EFI route. I am trying to come up with a reasonably priced EFI to mate with my 383HT sbc clone (Vortec heads). I have a hard time putting more into a fuel injection system than I have in my fully machined and rebuilt 383 (I am under $2K).
Sam is correct, my research agrees that the best way to approach an EFI motor fo your truck is to get a complete as built setup (motor with factory EFI) and do your best to clean it up. In my case I got the horse before the cart, i.e. built the motor planning carb (I have what I need for a carbed setup) but would like to go with an EFI. Lessoned relearned, make your plan and stay with the plan. Other options result in too many $!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Jeff Olsen
Junior User
Great topic and conversations. My question is how much more MPG will you get if it is not mated to the computer controled transimssion?

Quick Reply: EFI or carb?