Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

51 Panel - Still crazy after all these years!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
That fuel tank is a tight fit, but looks to be doable. It's better than the current set up. How good are you with welding? Maybe modify the tank slightly to fit better?
Welding? I can keep it from falling apart Never be able to make a gas-tight seal. However, that is an interesting concept. I'm going to call some welding guys that can !

Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Think I'm gonna have someone build a gas tank for me. Probably the path of least resistance (although $$ is always a resistance ).

Benn laying on my back POR-15'ing the underside, frame and such. The gloved hand doesn't have any POR-15 speckles on it! (Some on other hand and face ).

Bought new brakes, drums, handbrake cables and hydraulics for the rear. Going to tear it down, POR-15 it and rebuild. The existing cabling was a "Disney Delight" (although I think it worked.) Will take some picts this weekend.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the best tricks to learn - is how to "BASH" metal into a shape you want, and then weld it together.

(smoothly, of course)

*winkezzz*

A block of wood - such as a tree stump - is recommended.

You can cut it to shape...

METALSMITH 101

Pound it into a backing material....

Old 12-08-2012, 04:39 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
So, after laying on my back, under the panel applying POR-15, I've decided to nickname the truck the "Cistine Panel", cause I'm doing my best imitation of Michaelangelo !

Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Well.. laying on my back for the last 5 weeks (when time permitted) got most of the rest of the POR-15 painted. Starting on rear brakes and my kid started grinding the back end of the truck.

Oops ! Missed a side of an x-member.. (Wasn't laying under the tranny like the camera.) Oh well, more back time !

Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Oh man, better you then me!!! That makes me really glad I'm stripping my truck down to bare frame rails to do the painting!!! How much of yourself did you get coated with POR-15?

It's looking good!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Ducttapeguy01
New User
Did you get to painting the brake drums? If so can u put some pics of u doing it on their? Thanks! :]

Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by COMPLIT1107
So, after laying on my back, under the panel applying POR-15, I've decided to nickname the truck the "Cistine Panel", cause I'm doing my best imitation of Michaelangelo !

Been there done that. Dont worry if you got any on you it will wear off in about 2 months. Of course you could try scrubbing it off. My skin usually comes off first.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordman75
Oh man, better you then me!!! That makes me really glad I'm stripping my truck down to bare frame rails to do the painting!!! How much of yourself did you get coated with POR-15?

It's looking good!
Just enough.. . I was real careful with rubber gloves and such. Then after painting, I put on a brake line (no where near where I was painting and got it on my hand and wrist anyway. The worst is in front of the mirror with scissors either cutting out clumps of hair or little pieces of moustache!

Stuff doesn't drip until you're under it.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ducttapeguy01
Did you get to painting the brake drums? If so can u put some pics of u doing it on their? Thanks! :]

Not going to POR-15 the drums, I'll probably just rattle-can some black rustoleum. (Don't want some random POR-15 "welding" the drum to the shaft.) On the shaft, I'll just paint with some axle grease.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Haven't updated in a while, but still working. Finished POR15'ing the underside (except where I have to repair panels). Still waiting for the gas tank to be made (maybe this week finally). But lots of body work to do.
Pulled the truck outside and ground off the three remaining gallon cans of bondo .

Here's what it looks like..

Other side not so bad...

One door solid, one needs some "luv"

And not much left of sill. Pan kind of bad, but I guess I'll have to make it work.

On top is the new rear floor support I made.

Welded in new metal, not real picky as most is hidden and didn't want to risk deforming the geometry. Also spent about three days and numerous drill bits drilling out the broken and missing lower door pins (both sides). No pictures, lot's of swearing .

Got some metal bent to remake the top of the pan (had to cut it off, but wasn't much there to begin with except for several lbs. of bondo.)

Finally a little POR15 before I start on the pan.

Also was putting new rockers on my wifes car to pass inspection. I hate putting work into a $3500 car to make it worth $3400! That's why I've converted to all old Ford Trucks

With that in mind, I did ONE MORE CRAZY THING !

I'm gonna put this '53 together for my wife (don't tell here, it's a surprise - 3 large with title)

Pretty solid. Very nice bed, new windshield, still has original 6 cyl & 4-spd if anyone looking) Now I know out west, you guys are laughing, but us northeast guys understand me.

And my son got "bit" by the bug and is planning on this becoming his daily driver..

Needs some luv, ('46 or '47, haven't ground the frame yet) but solid enough and not bad for $1000 delivered. Back door sill solid, back doors solid but beat up and still has the side hood spears !. Ladder rack has to go.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by COMPLIT1107
Haven't updated in a while, but still working. Finished POR15'ing the underside (except where I have to repair panels). Still waiting for the gas tank to be made (maybe this week finally). But lots of body work to do.
Pulled the truck outside and ground off the three remaining gallon cans of bondo .

Here's what it looks like..

Other side not so bad...

One door solid, one needs some "luv"

And not much left of sill. Pan kind of bad, but I guess I'll have to make it work.

On top is the new rear floor support I made.

Welded in new metal, not real picky as most is hidden and didn't want to risk deforming the geometry. Also spent about three days and numerous drill bits drilling out the broken and missing lower door pins (both sides). No pictures, lot's of swearing .

Got some metal bent to remake the top of the pan (had to cut it off, but wasn't much there to begin with except for several lbs. of bondo.)

Finally a little POR15 before I start on the pan.

Also was putting new rockers on my wifes car to pass inspection. I hate putting work into a $3500 car to make it worth $3400! That's why I've converted to all old Ford Trucks

With that in mind, I did ONE MORE CRAZY THING !

I'm gonna put this '53 together for my wife (don't tell here, it's a surprise - 3 large with title)

Pretty solid. Very nice bed, new windshield, still has original 6 cyl & 4-spd if anyone looking) Now I know out west, you guys are laughing, but us northeast guys understand me.

And my son got "bit" by the bug and is planning on this becoming his daily driver..

Needs some luv, ('46 or '47, haven't ground the frame yet) but solid enough and not bad for $1000 delivered. Back door sill solid, back doors solid but beat up and still has the side hood spears !. Ladder rack has to go.

I don't know if it's just me but I can't get the picture links to work.

Is the 53 a Ford truck?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Its not you Ted. I got the no seeums too. Clicked on the link in the box and the pc just sat there. Went back and the link wasnt there anymore.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:19 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Its not you Ted. I got the no seeums too. Clicked on the link in the box and the pc just sat there. Went back and the link wasnt there anymore.
Buzz & Ted.. Are all my picts not there ? Just reset my crap. try again...

Old 03-30-2013, 02:21 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordman75
I don't know if it's just me but I can't get the picture links to work.

Is the 53 a Ford truck?
If you can't see pict, and based on what we all have, what's the guess on the '53 (I'll give a hint F100)

Quick Reply: 51 Panel - Still crazy after all these years!