1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

? about side exaust exit

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
? about side exaust exit

Hi , Im redoing My exaust system and would like to exit the tail pipe either under or thru the running boards in front of rear tires as Ive seen on recent threads. I like the look but would like input on the pros and cons of possibly over heating the rear tires, and also the efect on sound useing a shorter run. If it makes a difference MY rear tires are P295/50R15, the headers are Patriot block huggers, the mufflers are Summit 21" stainless glass packs, the moter 302, and the whole system is 2 1/2". Thank you for any input. (JIMMY)

Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dumping the exhaust ther ewill not affect your rear tires. If the engine isn't reuuning very clean, worst case scenario, your wheels will get a little extra dirtier. As for sound, yes, it will be a little bit louder and will seem quite a bit louder just for the fact that the pipe now exit closer to your ear, especially when the window is down!

I have a 460 in my '76 Shortwide and the 2.5" exhaust with dynomax super turbos, dumps infront of the rear tires. It's not too bad but it is considerable louder than my other 460 truck withthe same exhaust but plumbed out the back. I like the sound, especially sitting at stoplights (window down on sunny days) but when i'm on the freeway with the window down, it is a bit loud!!!

With you having glasspacks, I'm sure it will be louder than my turbo'd muffler system. All I can say is, try it, mock up a temporary setup and run it and see what you think. you can always change it back if you don't like it.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by Dano78
Dumping the exhaust ther ewill not affect your rear tires. If the engine isn't reuuning very clean, worst case scenario, your wheels will get a little extra dirtier. As for sound, yes, it will be a little bit louder and will seem quite a bit louder just for the fact that the pipe now exit closer to your ear, especially when the window is down!

I have a 460 in my '76 Shortwide and the 2.5" exhaust with dynomax super turbos, dumps infront of the rear tires. It's not too bad but it is considerable louder than my other 460 truck withthe same exhaust but plumbed out the back. I like the sound, especially sitting at stoplights (window down on sunny days) but when i'm on the freeway with the window down, it is a bit loud!!!

With you having glasspacks, I'm sure it will be louder than my turbo'd muffler system. All I can say is, try it, mock up a temporary setup and run it and see what you think. you can always change it back if you don't like it.
Thank you for sharing that information, and mocking it up sounds like the way to go. Its always better to ask, than to wish you had, LOL

Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Brings back memories! I had a '68 Bronco in high school. 289 had 18" cherry bombs dump in front of the back tires(which are like real close to the back of the door!) I liked it alot until the glass burned out...then she was LOUD! had to talk between shifts! lol..and to talk going down the road, you had to let up a bit.
If ya talked too much you would find yourself slowing down! Stop talking, speed up! I miss the ole girl though...
edit: at night, going down a fairly steep grade, she would shoot out blue flames and cackle...pretty cool at 16 years old! not anymore for me.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:16 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
CHERRY BOMBS

thanks Jeff (smiling)

john

Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I put mine out the side in front of the rear wheels simply because it was a system I could fabricate myself and save a trip to the muffler shop. It was loud even with stock mufflers but not so loud as to attract police. With glass packs it's going to be pretty loud...

Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I put mine out the side in the fenderwell in front of the rear tires because thats the only place I could make it work with the rear suspension I am using and the requirement to let the air out of the rear bags..

no issues that I can see.. using magnaflow mufflers.. slightly louder in the cab as others have mentioned..

I think you can see it here

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
this might help

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I've owned several vehicles that had side exit exhaust and if you're after a quiet ride....good luck. I had two corvettes that had header side pipes and a conversation above 55 mph was almost impossible. As far as heat from the pipes, never had a problem.

My 55 will have side exit exhaust, but I intend to run an x pipe in my system. My understanding from all the exhaust gurus is that the x pipe mellows the sound somewhat. We shall see.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewski 2

My 55 will have side exit exhaust, but I intend to run an x pipe in my system. My understanding from all the exhaust gurus is that the x pipe mellows the sound somewhat. We shall see.
I have a cross over in my exhaust as well.. did soften it a little.. maybe 10%

but that 2 ft from board position to wheel well is a HUGE difference in sound..

Sam

Old 10-28-2011, 10:54 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The 'X' pipe definitely softens the sound. I'd say even 20%. Years ago I had a 65 Mustang 289 with Tri-Y headers and an 'X' pipe with glass packs. I removed the 'X' pipe to get more sound and it worked!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
retro48/52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its not the same as what you are talking about but these did not cost that much...all connections were completed by me so no other cost except material. They sound great...not to loud going down the road and at a stop light...rummmmmmmbles nice.

Dennis

Old 10-28-2011, 12:17 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Wow thank you all for your input and nice pics. It sounds as if what i have would be to loud. The mufflers i have dont look like any glass packs ive ever seen, they are not straight thru, or round ,and Summit descibes them as ceramic and fiberglass for sound control with a throaty growl (LOL),I know, I know but since its all slip joints (no money) maybe ill still fab it up and if it sounds ok (LOL) ill weld it up an use SS clamps on the mufflers so when and if (LOL) they wear out I can just swap to a different set of mufflers. oh well, ill let ya know the outcome. Things are going pretty slow on the truck, because my Dad is on Hospice, and takeing care of Him takes priority. Thanks again, i do appreceiate all your help. I depend on it

Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Jim, sorry to hear about your dad! My preys go out to you and your family.

About the exhaust. I have a 350, headers, dual exhaust going to a pair of Flowmaster 40's series mufflers, and have them exiting right in front of the rear fenders. I do not have any noise or heat control on my cab at this time. The truck does resenate a lot. I am plaining on on adding Dynamat or/and Lizard Skin to quite things down. Also thinking about the x-pipe also.

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2011, 08:02 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIDE EXHAUST

I have flowmaster super 44's with a h -pipe running in running boards like DREWSKY. I sprayed the closed cell insulation in my cab so its almost sound proof but with the windows down its alittle LOAD. I LUV THE WAY IT SOUNDS. Thanks again Drewsky for the idea. Everyone that looks at my truck likes it. Thats one of the first things they say something about. But if i'm sitting at a redlight the folks next door will roll up there window. LOL LOL

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: ? about side exaust exit