Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Exhaust for my V10

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:11 AM
ArrizX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust for my V10

So I just bought a 2000 F350 SRW with 140k, and love it. White extended cab short box, everything I want down to the V10. Anyways I bought it with no cat and a flowmaster muffler.

It could just be because I am not used to the v10 but having it so open almost sounds unhealthy when you step on it. It doesnt sound bad it sounds great, but very raspy. Like its too open almost. Its got the stock 3" pipe though.

Do I have anything to worry about? Lack of back pressure an issue? Sorry its a little hard to explain

Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 AM
truckinforever
Freshman User
I'm running no cats and a dual in dual out Magnaflow muffler with 2.5in pipes with no problems. These engines will always sound odd unless you run factory exhaust. Only 2 strokes need back pressure.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:41 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
Okay perfect. My GF took my truck today and I stood outside and listened to it drive away and I loved it.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the V10 has a sound thats closer to a Ferrarri then it is to any traditional V8 rumble..

you either love it or it will bug you forever.

for what its worth i like the sound of the V10 with a cherrybomb extreme exhaust.. but exhaust notes are a totaly personal thing.

what some love others cant stand.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
What Flowmaster do you have on your truck? The number is probably not stamped on the case. If you could provide some accurate case dimensions (length,width,height) I could give you an idea of what you have. The lack of cat combined with the muffler may have leaned out your A/F ratio but its not really a big issue as long as your not getting detonation.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
What is detonation?

Its definitely a flowmaster 40. Now if its a Super 40 or Flowmaster 44 I dont know because I think they all have the same case dimensions correct?

If not I will go measure , thanks

Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Detonation is also known as spark knock or pinging.

Sounds like you have one of Flowmasters small capacity mufflers. The 70 Big Block 2 or 50 Big Block mufflers from Flowmaster are better suited for truck use and will tone down the exhaust note and help get rid of drone. I have the 70 big block 2 on my truck. Its a little louder than stock and does a pretty good job of getting rid of drone and annoying tones. The stock single 3" pipe will work more than fine.

The Super 40 has a 5" thick case where as the 44 has a 4" thick case. Both have roughly the same case length and width.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM
ArrizX
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
Detonation is also known as spark knock or pinging.

Sounds like you have one of Flowmasters small capacity mufflers. The 70 Big Block 2 or 50 Big Block mufflers from Flowmaster are better suited for truck use and will tone down the exhaust note and help get rid of drone. I have the 70 big block 2 on my truck. Its a little louder than stock and does a pretty good job of getting rid of drone and annoying tones. The stock single 3" pipe will work more than fine.

The Super 40 has a 5" thick case where as the 44 has a 4" thick case. Both have roughly the same case length and width.

Okay, thanks.

So what is the difference between the 50 and 70 series for big block? From what I just read its size? Can you clarify, thanks?

I like how loud the flowmaster 40 is though and I dont want to go down in volume but if this is better suited to my truck then I would rather do that. Thoughts?

Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Originally Posted by ArrizX
Okay perfect. My GF took my truck today and I stood outside and listened to it drive away and I loved it.
I need a video!!! looking to do somehting different with my exhaust

Old 10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Okay, thanks.

So what is the difference between the 50 and 70 series for big block? From what I just read its size? Can you clarify, thanks?

I like how loud the flowmaster 40 is though and I dont want to go down in volume but if this is better suited to my truck then I would rather do that. Thoughts?
Size and internal baffle/chamber configuration. You can see the dimensions and internal layout of the mufflers in the link below. The 50 series SUV is also a good muffler. The 50HD is slightly louder than the 50SUV. I just prefer mufflers with some capacity to them especially when towing on longer trips, less annoying for me that way. Another option would be to install another muffler or resonator along with your current muffler to reduce some of the harsh tones. Either a purpose built resonator or a straight through round muffler like a Magnaflow. However doing that will reduce your sound output somewhat. I will say though even with the best muffler the V10 will still sound like a V10. You are not going to get it to sound like a thumpy V8. Thats another reason why I prefer to keep the sound level down with a larger capacity muffler.

A tuner with a custom tune would correct for the exhaust, (add more fuel) give you more power and make the trans work much better. The 5 star tuner is very popular, thats what I run.

Performance mufflers

Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 PM
ArrizX
Senior User
Originally Posted by VONxRUBENxLA
I need a video!!! looking to do somehting different with my exhaust
You got it I will try to have one tomorrow.

Originally Posted by dkf
Size and internal baffle/chamber configuration. You can see the dimensions and internal layout of the mufflers in the link below. The 50 series SUV is also a good muffler. The 50HD is slightly louder than the 50SUV. I just prefer mufflers with some capacity to them especially when towing on longer trips, less annoying for me that way. Another option would be to install another muffler or resonator along with your current muffler to reduce some of the harsh tones. Either a purpose built resonator or a straight through round muffler like a Magnaflow. However doing that will reduce your sound output somewhat. I will say though even with the best muffler the V10 will still sound like a V10. You are not going to get it to sound like a thumpy V8. Thats another reason why I prefer to keep the sound level down with a larger capacity muffler.

A tuner with a custom tune would correct for the exhaust, (add more fuel) give you more power and make the trans work much better. The 5 star tuner is very popular, thats what I run.

Performance mufflers

Interesting, I see what you are saying. I in no way wait to sound like a V8, I love the racecar sound and feel out of the V10. Its exciting and unique. I am not convinced my exhaust is making a funny noise though. From the cab it almost sounds like I have an exhaust leak or something from 2.5k to 3.5kRPMs. I get in the engine bay though and rev it from there and I dont hear or feel any exhaust.

Im not sure what this funny sound is, but like I said im not convinced that its just how a v10 is supposed to sound. It sounds extemely out of place but I know a video wont pick up the odd noise its not very loud and it happens quick in the RPM band,.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:12 AM
ak-angler
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you checked to see if you have any broken exhaust studs?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Could have an exhaust leak around the exhaust manifolds. The inspection plate on the front of the transmission can vibrate and make a weird sound at certain rpms. Loose exhaust shields can make a weird sound also.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 AM
ArrizX
Senior User
Originally Posted by ak-angler
Have you checked to see if you have any broken exhaust studs?

I havent poked around but but I havent taken a flashlight too it yet. I thought that was only an issue with the 5.4s. These have the stud problem too?

Originally Posted by dkf
Could have an exhaust leak around the exhaust manifolds. The inspection plate on the front of the transmission can vibrate and make a weird sound at certain rpms. Loose exhaust shields can make a weird sound also.
Inspection plate on the front of the transmission? I will need to go look at that because that sounds like where it is coming from! Way down low..

Thanks for the help ill report back tonight. I get to go test my truck towing now

Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM
ak-angler
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
These have the stud problem too?
Yup. I had to deal with 11 broken studs when I installed my headers.

Quick Reply: Exhaust for my V10