Sponsored by: DP Tuner

BIG puff of blue and white smoke ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:41 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BIG puff of blue and white smoke ??

My 7.3 has been running good for a long time now. Two days ago i did the 6637 mod. This is the third time i have driven the truck since i did it.

This morning We got in the truck to go to breakfast and it would not start after about a 5 second on first try, and at first I thought OH NO.
My truck has started like clock work every time. a big cloud of smoke billowed from under the truck. I got out and popped the hood. smoke was under the hood also ?? WTF..
On the second try i had my girlfriend start the truck while i watched the motor area. after about two seconds it started right up as usual but did blow a little smoke just before start. i could see the smoke blow out of the down pipe real quick where it bolts together. I guess there is a gasket or doughnut or something leaking. we drove the truck to eat and everything seems to be fine now. No smoke on start and starts with in one to two seconds. No smoke while driving.

I will keep an eye out on this..
Is there anything i should check or keep an eye on ??
Or do you think this was a one time kinda thing ?

Old 10-23-2011, 01:46 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The smoke from under the hood is likely your up-pipe gaskets gone bad. Pain in the *** to replace but well worth it. And as long as you are in there and have some spare coin laying around, drop the dough and "upgrade" to the International bellowed up-pipes. You'll wind up changing gaskets much less frequently, if ever.

As to your hard start this morning, what was the weather like? Any colder this morning than normal? Are you running a glow plug relay LED in your truck? Could be a case of the glow plug relay going out recently and not preheating the cylinders before you cranked. Mine went out a couple of weeks ago and made starting not so fun.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:54 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by akaFrankCastle
The smoke from under the hood is likely your up-pipe gaskets gone bad. Pain in the *** to replace but well worth it. And as long as you are in there and have some spare coin laying around, drop the dough and "upgrade" to the International bellowed up-pipes. You'll wind up changing gaskets much less frequently, if ever.

As to your hard start this morning, what was the weather like? Any colder this morning than normal? Are you running a glow plug relay LED in your truck? Could be a case of the glow plug relay going out recently and not preheating the cylinders before you cranked. Mine went out a couple of weeks ago and made starting not so fun.
I meant up pipe.. LOL.. The weather is normal around here as usual.
Just the stock glow light, and it went off ?

Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sand_fiend
Stock glow light is only going to tell you how long the computer thinks you should wait before starting. It does not reflect actual time that the glow plug relay is putting out current to the glow plugs. Trying turning the key over to the run position as if you were waiting to start. Then go under the hood and check the output side of the glow plug relay with a multi-meter to see if the relay is actually putting out juice.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:06 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by sand_fiend
That WTS lite doesn't have a thing to do with the glow plugs bud

I'd check the relay next time you go to start it cold